0W-16 is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Cool.

Now check back in when you have a 100,000-200,000 miles with the new stuff and let us know how it went.

I think you left out one or two zeroes.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
in my opinion W-20 weight oil has failed too many, why risk that? for a couple nickels? really?

How? When? Where?
sleep.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I'll be curious to see how long this oil can be run...

Also curious to see how the engines handle it when it's abused (beyond a little real world testing)

Just got a see a car running 0w20 go too long being changed (18k). Engine was not happy at all....
frown.gif

Would I use 0W-16 in a high performance machine calling for 5W-40? Certainly not! But how much can a 115-220 BHP engine "abuse" a well formulated, quality synthetic oil?
https://media.giphy.com/media/W6US3Xlt7uZLa/giphy.gif
Maybe some here lead a double life driving around like The Dukes of Hazard and jump over trains with ramps conveniently laid out prior to high speed police chases - some certainly act like it. I probably would recommend 0W-16 in that case. But for the vast majority of pedestrian passenger cars, I doubt any would notice the difference...

Cool.

Now check back in when you have a 100,000-200,000 miles with the new stuff and let us know how it went.

Sure, after you show us the secret elephant-graveyard of late-90's/early 2000's Hondas and Fords that died prematurely from running SL era 5W-20's that were probably vastly inferior to the 0W-16's that will be out...

Perhaps in hybrids they do. The Autobahn now has a lot of traffic chokes points so I don't think it's as freewheeling as it used to be. Perhaps the German posters can say?

Depends on where you are and what time of day you drive. You can still drive Berlin -> Munich (580km) in less than 4 hours, even though there are several speed limited sections and a lot of roadwork/construction zones (including one 18km long monster). Just means you have to floor it on the open sections...

If you drive in the rush hour in the Rhine/Ruhr Area though, well, good luck trying to beat a bicycle.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Would I use 0W-16 in a high performance machine calling for 5W-40? Certainly not! But how much can a 115-220 BHP engine "abuse" a well formulated, quality synthetic oil?
-snip-
for the vast majority of pedestrian passenger cars, I doubt any would notice the difference...

Yeah, but that 120 hp comes from a tiny twin turbo Briggs and Stratton! LSPI galore
crazy2.gif
57.gif

So do they run this 0w-16 in Germany on the Autobahn?with higher powered cars?

I would imagine there is a lot of ram air cooling at Autobahn speeds to help, I would think it is possible to do so..

When will we see 0W-16 on shelves state-side?

Originally Posted By: LaCocina27

I would imagine there is a lot of ram air cooling at Autobahn speeds to help, I would think it is possible to do so..

You should probably watch some of the Autobahn oil temp videos.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

You should probably watch some of the Autobahn oil temp videos.

That sounds interesting to check out. They have Autobahn oil temp videos?

OVERKILL said:
LaCocina27 said:
Smokescreen said:

There exist a lot of wonders in this world.

While I do not have an video on this, some of the cars I have driven have had oil temperature sensors. My very first car, a Saab 900 turbo 16S, would reach oil temperatures of ~140°C. The turbocharger on this car is not oil cooled, but the engine does have an oil cooler. A friend's Saab 99 (2.0 R4, single carburettor, 100hp) would get up to 130°C under full throttle (no oil cooler).
On the other hand, most modern cars have a very well thought out temperature management, with electronic thermostats (and will run much cooler water temperatures on full throttle) and oil/water heat exchangers. I have never seen oil temperatures above 125°C on a modern VW or Audi, for example, no matter how ludicrous they have been driven.

But I might have to search youtube for Autobahn oil temperature videos.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: turboseize
OVERKILL said:
LaCocina27 said:
Smokescreen said:

There exist a lot of wonders in this world.

While I do not have an video on this, some of the cars I have driven have had oil temperature sensors. My very first car, a Saab 900 turbo 16S, would reach oil temperatures of ~140°C. The turbocharger on this car is not oil cooled, but the engine does have an oil cooler. A friend's Saab 99 (2.0 R4, single carburettor, 100hp) would get up to 130°C under full throttle (no oil cooler).
On the other hand, most modern cars have a very well thought out temperature management, with electronic thermostats (and will run much cooler water temperatures on full throttle) and oil/water heat exchangers. I have never seen oil temperatures above 125°C on a modern VW or Audi, for example, no matter how ludicrous they have been driven.

But I might have to search youtube for Autobahn oil temperature videos.
cool.gif

Well. It isn't an Autobahn oil temperature video, but I found this INFORMATIVE little gem from Bikeaholics:

I wonder if 0W-16 could do it if it was, oh boy, as thin as possible but as thick as necessary?

I wish they would bring back the Montanabahn, or at least make driving as fast as you wish legal. People do this anyway, so. My lubricarion is of great and extreme importance to me, a very close second to my freedom, my ideal lubricity under all and every condition. If 0W-16 will bring me this ideal lunricity then I must find it and guinea pig it for the people here, as well as myself. This is one of my purposes in this life. For I have nothing else to do. OK, that was facetious
lol.gif
as I may have many more real-life things going on, including great success and happiness. I feel for some, it may in fact be the truth. Computer Warriors. Find the oil on the shelf! And bring it to me.

For those of us who were coming of age to drive in the era where 10W-40 (10W-30 in winter) was the norm, this is a little hard to swallow.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
For those of us who were coming of age to drive in the era where 10W-40 (10W-30 in winter) was the norm, this is a little hard to swallow.

I grew up in an age when my dad was using 20W20 in a Buick's big block V8 because that was what was speced.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote

I grew up in an age when my dad was using 20W20 in a Buick's big block V8 because that was what was speced.

20W-20?

I don't think I've ever heard of that.

It already is available on shelves stateside
smile.gif
34.gif

Advance Auto Parts, to be exact. In fact, crispysea even posted a pic of the 0w16 in this very thread !

2ec12py.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back