'09 VW Jetta 2.5 5 speed manual transmission noise

Guys - if it is a bearing problem: 1. wouldn't it make sense to replace all the bearings 2. and is there anything else that should be done "while in there"? Again, thank you!

Guys - an update - problem is DIFFERENTIAL. Many shavings in differential oil. Probably will look for a used transmission, and "while he's in there" will have new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, etc put in. A couple of weeks ago I ran over a truck wheel weight (5" LONG - went fully into tire). Felt like I ran over a rock. Apparently that may have damaged the diff. Thank you all for your interest!

Jon, if it's a FWD VW there's no differential oil. There's only one
single shared transmission oil fill. If it's due to external damage
it must be visible from underneath. Any photo you can share?
Good luck a healthy used transmission for decent price quickly.

That's why I repeatedly advocated for performing oil changes on manual
transmission regardless of manufacturers claiming it's 'lifetime fluid'. One
early change ideally at 1000 mls or so followed by changes every 30,000
or 50,000 miles at least. Personally I tend to keep the intervals even shorter.
Main grounds for that little effort is simply avoiding such issues like that the
OP suffers from.
And very few manual transmissions have a pump/screen (coarse filter) set up and so the swarf in the fluid gets circulated and recirculated, potentially damaging bearing races, rolling elements, gear faces as it goes.
Change fluid at interval!

930 - description of oil is my mistake - mechanic said there were metal shavings in the oil & I assumed it was a differential oil (this has been an educational experience). And no pics. Situation becoming more interesting. Called several transmission repair shops only to be told they don't work on MTs. My mechanic called his 3 sources for used, but they had nothing. So then called the used trans folks - quite the bazaar! The more I talked with them the more nervous I became. I had also left messages with a couple of guys I used to drive with in our local PCA. Luckily the brother of one has a transmission shop & works on mannys. Having car towed to his shop early next week.

Cdn17 - when I first heard the noise I checked the manual because I've been doing the scheduled maintenance since I bought the car used & prior owner had done all scheduled maintenance. Manual requires AT fluid service only - no mention of MT service.

930 - meant to tell you. Most exciting P car ride was at The Glen in a friend's worked '87 930. 145 on the back straightaway. And to paraphrase Robert Duvall in Apocalyse Now, I love that wastegate smell in the morning!

These are known for the input shaft bearing going bad. A friend of mine bought one that had just had the bearing replaced at like 88k or so. Was howling again at 140k so he just got rid of the car that time. It was done by the dealer so I would like to assume it was done reasonably well. But it seems to be a popular problem, even worse on the Passat with the 2.5 engine. See Passats for sale real cheap all the time with "transmission noise". So not sure if I would suggest a used one unless you can find one with barely any miles on it. Not sure what was the cause but replacing the bearing and using the OEM fluid didn't stop it from happening a second time.

See your manual and/or the luggage compartment for a sticker like this for
the transmission code. It'll help you finding a used transmission:

PR-Code-4.jpg

On this example 'AXR' is the engine code and 'EUH' is the transmission code.
It specifies the exact transmission of your Jetta. I still bet it's a MQ250 which
is the transmission family (built for up to 250 Nm of torque input), while the
transmission code specifies more than that - including the gearing which is
different for every specific engine and car. This TDI also uses a MQ250 as it's
240 Nm, but it requires taller gearing compared to your 2.5 since it's a Diesel.
So it uses a different transmission code.
Some vendors also sell rebuild kits, at least in Europe as it's a very popular
transmission, they made millions of them. I'd bet Schaeffler/INA, Timken and
SKF make bearings for them.

Clean - will do!

parts - I appreciate your interest. FWIW - read 9 articles on TO bearing (and pilot) bearings - all said the symptoms occur when the clutch pedal is being depressed. Noise at top of pedal - TO, at bottom - pilot. I have NO noise (nor any of the other symptoms) with any clutch pedal pressure/movement. Noise happens only when in gear.
In gear driving ??

Guys - an update - problem is DIFFERENTIAL. Many shavings in differential oil. Probably will look for a used transmission, and "while he's in there" will have new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, etc put in. A couple of weeks ago I ran over a truck wheel weight (5" LONG - went fully into tire). Felt like I ran over a rock. Apparently that may have damaged the diff. Thank you all for your interest!
Thanks for update

930 - car at the mechanic's so don't have access to sticker or manual, but based on mu VIN the 3 digit trans coed is KPF (there are 5 for the 2.5L engine.

71 Chevy - thank you - will pass this info along to mechanic.

Parts - you're welcome

KPF seems correct. KPF is a 0A4 which again is a MQ250 5F.

gear ratios:

kxQ_26mUwFU442e-UCSZxxALTesIU0EJXNHygoL3TLdEOmuQ5mXjO9JFGCoV2sE7u9I4Au9CptRD06wyHWQbWiMhNa8HSknK7xAFXlKN2AQBbaEyZ7M6BsbIxxBt84P8p-GQIXl1dCXh0RljYZC7H258I6eU7zJtSah5P1v1pZh48Yj2bamPSvxqnGA-avJ1O4rviQ_xo2DG_Bs2ZPGGmgtX9ZLuulIYPfTfxcprBWiUN4Li8iFAZ-_IN4WvCwj_fxOX1HNSmtcbr6FVOl1h_5O0n6F6oeIU6nGomGSDABlBFH4in1KppSeeCxq19uQBVl6-EQUiwB_i9KLYizkKijjzUkvdsOeAYxnEM74kGKrtM5AzVwDITY5h_ETkI24seavjV8FmZ_aSaV992U7whgByDaWkk3eyyeHydy8vCmYBCE-oe3aHKpL3okUuFV86lkELVyzpaMKfd2f7Z26vOs8QkN_4XZ7Q-Msxkd_o0Bcm_yaEcE4TXN6uVVlLMHG2Cb14Zdr4KqcmEZ38bfsx9Z9JuLcehpmod-C_-nbNxM_t__Ee98aA06jLbZA4ytd2ulAxDkkd3xx-6PR3Mc7z1YzJxG3ToRMvESn16Lyf_LGQ-z-Uiw=w291-h201-no

1049570_x800.jpg

Plenty of information to be found on Vortex! I'm looking forward you'll find a used one soon.

there is NO such thing as lifetime lubes BUT only until the warranty is OUT! VW Vortex is the place + i see PA but where? AP Tuning in lebanon Pa is very good as they do the dealers work as dealers only replace trannys. my 2001 jetta 1.8T had the O2J 5 spd manual + i stripped the teeth off 5th at 25 lbs boost, my local pulled the tranny + i took it to APTuning + right in front of me he stripped the tranny in 30 minutes maybe less + showed me the issue!!! since i had a mechanical Quaife torque biasing differential in it i wanted to rebuild it which they did + be aware of soft trouble prone syncros, do a clutch while its out unless its been done before + use Redline MT90 for a happy shifting tranny + change it at 50 thou or less as it is tranny + differential all in one!! good luck

930 - frankly I was a little disappointed with the lack of response when I posted my original Q on Vortex. Found that to be a good resource since I bought the Jetta 6 years ago. Got the best answers from GTI, who also explained the sticker locations to confirm the MQ250 designation. And found a guy (actually 3 of them) to do a rebuild rather than replace with a used one - feel much better going that route.

benjy - thank you. Luckily found one closer to home (outside of Phila) but still good to know.

Personally I would be finding a 6 speed manual from a golf GTI, get the gearbox, driveshafts clutch hole lot and put it in. I carnt believe VW put that tiny gearbox in a 2.5.

Excellent, rebuilding your transmission seems like a good idea.
I would have prefered that anyway (or consider replacing with
a six speed instead, however I'm aware choice is pretty limited
in the US). Not sure if a GTI gearbox (02Q/MQ350) would even
fit onto the 2.5's bolt pattern and which clutch to use on it.
While MQ250 6F (six-speed) transmissions do exist as they've
been used on several European spec Mk 5s and Mk 6s I'm not
aware if they've ever been used on NA-spec VWs and Audis.

Back