09 Toyota Corolla

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2009 Toyota corolla base w/ 140k miles, auto. It has the cold start rattle, and currently has ST 0w20 synthetic w/ ST oil filter in it. I notice the cold start even occurs in +60 F degree. I was wondering if I can switch to 5w30 to quiet the rattle down or should I just stick w/ what Toyota recommends 0w20 / 5w20. The car drives, and shift just fine, TX weather. If I stick w/ the recommended oil spec, can I add something like Lucas or STP (the ones for low viscosity oil) to help quiet the rattle? If so, can I also be frugal w/ it, like use half of a bottle? Also does it matter at this point whether I use conventional, blend, or synthetic oil? Is there a particular oil brand that sticks longer, slower to drain back to the oil pan? I also noticed when I start my car, my rpm is around 1200 due to 0w20 vs 800 when it had 5w20. Any concern for this?

Thank you for your time and help.

I’ll say one thing you have a lot going on there in your first ever post.

Try a thicker oil and see if it helps.

The RPM is not influenced by the oil grade.

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2009 Toyota corolla base w/ 140k miles, auto. It has the cold start rattle, and currently has ST 0w20 synthetic w/ ST oil filter in it. I notice the cold start even occurs in +60 F degree. I was wondering if I can switch to 5w30 to quiet the rattle down or should I just stick w/ what Toyota recommends 0w20 / 5w20. The car drives, and shift just fine, TX weather. If I stick w/ the recommended oil spec, can I add something like Lucas or STP (the ones for low viscosity oil) to help quiet the rattle? If so, can I also be frugal w/ it, like use half of a bottle? Also does it matter at this point whether I use conventional, blend, or synthetic oil? Is there a particular oil brand that sticks longer, slower to drain back to the oil pan? I also noticed when I start my car, my rpm is around 1200 due to 0w20 vs 800 when it had 5w20. Any concern for this?

Thank you for your time and help.
I had a 2009 Toyota Corolla XLE Barcelona Red Metallic once and the engine ran butter-smooth on the PAO-based Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 SM. The cold-start rattle on these Toyotas is caused by a defective VVTI actuator. It has nothing to do with the oil. The correct oil viscosity for this car is SAE 0W-20 and there is no reason to stray. SAE 0W-20 oils use higher-quality base oils than SAE 5W-30 oils, as the former are harder to blend. There is no need to downgrade to SAE 5W-30.

Don’t add any bottles of goo to your engine. Perhaps give Castrol Magnetec a try on your next oil change.

I agree, the cold start rpm has nothing to do with the oil.

"T-SB-0087-09 - March 13, 2009
Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup
Service Category: Engine/Hybrid System
Section: Engine Mechanical
Market: USA
Applicability:
2009 Corolla - Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): BL40E, BU40E.
2009 Matrix - Drive Type(s): 2WD. Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): KU40E
Introduction:
Immediately following a cold soak startup, some 2009 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit a brief knock/rattle noise from the engine compartment for approximately one second. Follow the repair procedure below to address customer concerns.
Parts Information:
Previous Part Number: 13050-0T010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gear Assembly, Camshaft Timing. Qty: 1.
Previous Part Number: 11213-37020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover. Qty: 1.
Previous Part Number: 11159-37010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Camshaft Bearing Cap Oil Hole. Qty: 2.
Previous Part Number: 13552-0T020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Timing Chain Tensioner. Qty: 1.
Warranty Information:
OP Code: EG9006. Description: R & R Camshaft Timing Gear Assembly. Time: 1.5. OFP: 13050-0T010. T1: 06. T2: 40.
Applicable Warranty:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date. Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.

Seems reasonable to see what $ it would be to repair; the dealer should be pretty familiar with the fix;

Perhaps the car is near your wanting to get rid of it, perhaps not. It is probably 1/2 way thru its lifetime; i couldn't spend 10 years listening to that. JMO.

Pretty sure youtube has the repair procedure.

I’ll say one thing you have a lot going on there in your first ever post.

Try a thicker oil and see if it helps.

The RPM is not influenced by the oil grade.
Sorry about the long post. I'll def consider a thicker oil if needed. Thanks.

I had a 2009 Toyota Corolla XLE Barcelona Red Metallic once and the engine ran butter-smooth on the PAO-based Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 SM. The cold-start rattle on these Toyotas is caused by a defective VVTI actuator. It has nothing to do with the oil. The correct oil viscosity for this car is SAE 0W-20 and there is no reason to stray. SAE 0W-20 oils use higher-quality base oils than SAE 5W-30 oils, as the former are harder to blend. There is no need to downgrade to SAE 5W-30.
That was the reason why I switched from 5w20 to 0w20 per the owner's manual. I was hoping the 0w20 would reach faster as it get pump, and quiet that rattle. Thanks.

Don’t add any bottles of goo to your engine. Perhaps give Castrol Magnetec a try on your next oil change.

I agree, the cold start rpm has nothing to do with the oil.
I'll def consider Castrol mag next oil change. Thanks.

Seems reasonable to see what $ it would be to repair; the dealer should be pretty familiar with the fix;

Perhaps the car is near your wanting to get rid of it, perhaps not. It is probably 1/2 way thru its lifetime; i couldn't spend 10 years listening to that. JMO.

Pretty sure youtube has the repair procedure.
The sound is annoying, but guess I'll live with it than. I plan on driving this car to the ground. Thanks.

"T-SB-0087-09 - March 13, 2009
Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup
Service Category: Engine/Hybrid System
Section: Engine Mechanical
Market: USA
Applicability:
2009 Corolla - Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): BL40E, BU40E.
2009 Matrix - Drive Type(s): 2WD. Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): KU40E
Introduction:
Immediately following a cold soak startup, some 2009 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit a brief knock/rattle noise from the engine compartment for approximately one second. Follow the repair procedure below to address customer concerns.
Parts Information:
Previous Part Number: 13050-0T010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gear Assembly, Camshaft Timing. Qty: 1.
Previous Part Number: 11213-37020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover. Qty: 1.
Previous Part Number: 11159-37010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Camshaft Bearing Cap Oil Hole. Qty: 2.
Previous Part Number: 13552-0T020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Timing Chain Tensioner. Qty: 1.
Warranty Information:
OP Code: EG9006. Description: R & R Camshaft Timing Gear Assembly. Time: 1.5. OFP: 13050-0T010. T1: 06. T2: 40.
Applicable Warranty:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date. Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
Thanks for the additional info. I was hoping a change in oil would quiet that sound down.

The sound is annoying, but guess I'll live with it than. I plan on driving this car to the ground. Thanks.
Well fix it but be aware that Corolla like mine is probably only going to last another 10 to 15 years depending on the mileage your car has on it. The oil has nothing to do with your engine RPM issue. My Corolla on cold morning start ups the RPM goes to about 1800 until it warms up. As soon as it warm it drop back down to the normal idle. Oh and I'm usually running 5w-30 or 10W-30. But I have ran 5W-20 in the car and it reacts just the same as with the heavier oils.

We have a ‘10 Corolla LE and I run 5w30 in it. I just prefer 30 weights in all of my vehicles. If that 30 sheers down to a 20 weight, so be it. My oil analysis I get done with every change show the 30 weights do zero harm. Despite your oil cap and manual telling you to run 0/5w30, you can run anything in there. The Australia owners manual verifies this.
DBDE388A-0CEB-4869-B3D6-93BAFA09AFE4.jpeg

We have a ‘10 Corolla LE and I run 5w30 in it. I just prefer 30 weights in all of my vehicles. If that 30 sheers down to a 20 weight, so be it. My oil analysis I get done with every change show the 30 weights do zero harm. Despite your oil cap and manual telling you to run 0/5w30, you can run anything in there. The Australia owners manual verifies this.View attachment 44579
**Correction to my post above**:
Despite your oil cap and manual telling you to run 0/5w20, you can run anything in there.

Toyota Australia also recommends changing the oil and filter every 9,320 miles. Are we going to go with that too, or just cherry pick things more to our liking, like recommended oil grade from an Australian owner’s manual?

WRT to oil additives, many indicate you can't buy a mechanic in a bottle; but here we are with many suggesting the same thing.

The exact situation has been identified by the mfg but the OP said he was going to live with it prior to even investigating the $ of the fix.

When a Dr says "stop eating fatty foods" to solve your heart issues the response shouldn't be "maybe I'll take more vitamin C" and see if that helps.

Toyota Australia also recommends changing the oil and filter every 9,320 miles. Are we going to go with that too, or just cherry pick things more to our liking, like recommended oil grade from an Australian owner’s manual?
Is it not a Toyota owners manual?

Back