'09 Sentra 15k on Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil: Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30
Filter: Fram Xtraguard
Miles on Car: 70k
Miles on oil:15k

Your Sentra has racked up the miles since we last saw it, but wear metals look really good,
showing mechanical parts that are behaving as they should. Universal averages show typical wear levels for
this type of engine after about 3,600 miles on the oil. Silicon is still a bit high, so check the air filtration
system for any excess dirt, cracked hoses, or loose connections. The viscosity was a bit thick for 5W/30.
That can show excess heat, but didn't seem to hurt anything here. The TBN was 1.5 showing a little active
additive left. Try 16,000 miles on the next oil.

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 11
COPPER 4
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 53
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 75
SILICON 38
SODIUM 11
CALCIUM 3258
MAGNESIUM 15
PHOSPHORUS 688
ZINC 826
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 66.0
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.87
Flashpoint in °F 415
Fuel % 0.5
Antifreeze %
Water %
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 1.5
TAN
ISO

I refilled with Castro Edge w/Titanium, and plan to run it 15k unless someone thinks it won't do as well as Pennzoil Ultra.

I changed the tranny fluid too, and though I didn't pull a sample to be tested, the Eneos CVT fuid seems to be working just fine as a replacement for Nissan NS-2. I'd think after 40k, I'd have a problem if there were going to be one. Car has been flawless with the exception of warped front rotors, which aren't that bad.

Smart man. When I did the same thing with my sienna a couple years ago with Coastal synthetic I was ridiculed for leaving oil in too long. Its good to see that as oils get better, common sense is winning.
I can easily see that the 3000 mile oil change will go the way of the straight 30 wt oil in cars.
Hopefully the quickie lubes will stop perpetuating the nonsense.
I just changed the oil on the Taurus after almost 2 years and 10000 miles. It was pp. I replaced it with Meijer (citco super guard) synthetic. I did change the filter after a year. I also added about a half quart of make-up oil. The oil looked fine.
Maybe more people are getting the message about synthetics and longevity.

fuel 5.5 should that be 0.5? Nice low wear numbers. Oil thickened slightly, save the ring seal. You should back off oci to 12,000.

Awesome. Like I said....

I would have stuck witht the PU after results like this.

PU does extremely well in two industry wear tests - IVA and IIIG.

Looks at how the Boron content has dropped in PU. Doesn't seem to make any difference though. Great analysis!!

I would run the Edge FST for 15K. Shoot, if it can't hold up like the PU it isn't worth paying all that money for it. That engine would do well with corn oil probably.

Very impressed with PU. I'd like to see a voa of the SN stuff.

I'm also curious if the NOACK volatility is accurate from the latest PDS. Good juice.

Impressive run. Results are great.

Montero, you do a TON of driving, your Prius also racks up mega miles - just a long work commute or sales driving? Just curious....

I'd consider also backing off to 12,000-13,000 range on this oil for repeatability with a margin of head room in case you can't change it by then you can at least do so by 15,000.

Great UOA overall. Don't extend further.

Nice run!

What is your driving pattern? Is it mainly hwy driving? How long (in terms of months) was the oil in service?

In my application, after only 6K miles, despite having a 7qt sump, PU 5w-40 looked pretty spent already, but I suspect my driving patterns were much different than yours. Also, from what I understand, PU Euro may not be the same formulation as the regular PU that you've used.

A great 15K UOA.
No doubt the Ultra did well, but the engine is also impressive.
Most BMW or Benz owners would be astonished to see such low metal levels on a 15K drain, and their cars have much larger sumps.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Impressive run. Results are great.

Montero, you do a TON of driving, your Prius also racks up mega miles - just a long work commute or sales driving? Just curious....

I drive 600 miles a week with the Prius, wife drives 350 or so with the Nissan. Hers is all highway, mine mostly country with a lil bit of city......we live in the boonies.

I'm not sure what formulation the Penn Ultra was, but the Castrol Edge I refilled with did NOT say "with titanium" on it, it is the SM formulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back