09 Jetta 2.0T Burning Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Fellas,

Owner of 09 2.0T Jetta with 163k on the clock now, I've been using Mobil 1 oil since about 140k miles, no consumption problems. But now every 5k miles I am about dry! This has happened my last 4 oil changes, @ 5k intervals. I did extensive leaks checks and no spots on garage floor, nothing around engine bay. Took it to mechanic had it on a lift and inspected nothing found. So now I must bear the question - What oil can I start using to help minimize the consumption. I put about 600 miles a week, so shortening my oil change interval to 3k miles will kick me in the rear. Just to summarize, no check engine lights, no leaks, car runs fine, just excessive oil consumption.

Thank you all!

Which Mobil 1? 0W-40?

Any chance you do extended warm ups or you are not getting no heat? If it is running constantly rich it can really thin the oil.

Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Version. Not much warming up, just enough to get oil in the engine flowing and drive.

The oil must be going out the exhaust. Try 16 or 32 ounces of marvel mystery oil instead of the mobil 1 on the next oil change. Might free up a ring.

Originally Posted by davizzel
High mileage oil beneficial?

It depends on how the engine is consuming oil. At one quart per 1000 miles, this engine is drinking oil. I might consider a compression test.

When was the last time the PCV valve was replaced?

Even a slightly failing/clogged one can increase pressure inside the engine and push oil past the high mileage rings.

PCV, MMO, and Italian tune up. If you still have consumption try a 10W40 high mileage and if it still consumes 15W40 HDEO and just keep topping it of until the engine goes.

I'd start with the PCV valve first. Mechanical oil consumption usually ramps up slowly. Sudden changes is usually a part failure or a PCV frozen open. If that helps, fine.

If it's only a partial fix, I'd throw a full can of BG109 in the crankcase and keep driving it for at least 100 miles, then change oil. You are in Il, so cold enough to warrant an oil with a decent W rating. I'd prolly go 0W-40 while looking for the culprit ...

It could very well be a combination of valve seals and the PCV ... It'll take time to sort out.

But that's a pretty tough engine, so I doubt you nicked a piston or busted some rings, or anything along those line.

Last edited:
mechanical issues aside an oil with a higher cold # could be better, of course the same quality. diesel oils are stouter as well. as long as your running well + plugs are clean its not that bad. EXCEPT that you have DI!! i put 200 thou on my traded 01 enhanced 1.8T jetta + although i used a qt here + there depending if i boosted to 25lb or not so much, car ran great at trade with 20lb on the vac boost gauge. my replacement a 2001 TT enhanced 1.8T uses a bit more oil at 55 thou if thats right, so i recently started using Redline 15-50 for make up oil to the Redline 10-40 i put in at the end of summer as car rarely comes out in the winter, i see higher vacuum + less consumption but can't say how much 15-50 would be tolerated in the cold.

PCV valve was replaced about 2 years ago. PCV is embedded into the valve cover, any fault in the PCV results in a code being thrown, it was a notorious problems for these vehicles until an upgraded PCV was put out by VW, which Is what I replaced it with.

mechanical issues aside an oil with a higher cold # could be better, of course the same quality. diesel oils are stouter as well. as long as your running well + plugs are clean its not that bad. EXCEPT that you have DI!! i put 200 thou on my traded 01 enhanced 1.8T jetta + although i used a qt here + there depending if i boosted to 25lb or not so much, car ran great at trade with 20lb on the vac boost gauge. my replacement a 2001 TT enhanced 1.8T uses a bit more oil at 55 thou if thats right, so i recently started using Redline 15-50 for make up oil to the Redline 10-40 i put in at the end of summer as car rarely comes out in the winter, i see higher vacuum + less consumption but can't say how much 15-50 would be tolerated in the cold.

Originally Posted by dave1251
PCV, MMO, and Italian tune up. If you still have consumption try a 10W40 high mileage and if it still consumes 15W40 HDEO and just keep topping it of until the engine goes.

With all due respect could you please tell me what an Italian tune up is? I am guessing you rod the crap out of it to free up any carbon or deposits and hopefully free up the engine? Is this kind of what an Italian tune up is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back