08 Mazda CX-9 3.7 L Kendall GT1 5W-20 2,770 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the report from our six month old CX-9. The oil is the dealer installed Kendall GT1 5W-20. They offered a free first oil change, so I took advantage of it when I had it in there for warranty work. At least they used an OEM filter. The car gets about 50 miles a day of highway with some heavy traffic (it is Houston after all).

cx91.jpg

The vehicle had 6,098 total miles at the point of this change with 2,770 miles on the oil. I also added 3 oz of Auto-Rx at the start of the interval to help with break in particles. I used Mobil 1 0W-20 and a Mobil 1 filter for this change. I added another 3 oz of Auto-Rx since there was still some stuff left in the bottle. I plan on running a 5,000-6,000 mile interval this time around. The manual calls for 7,500 miles at regular duty.

You have relatively high Na, K, Si and antifreeze is .33% and Blackstone thinks the Na is an additive?....it well may be but....you may have a coolant leak. Admittedly still breaking in.

I would get it checked out, run a short interval, resample, etc.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You have relatively high Na, K, Si and antifreeze is .33% and Blackstone thinks the Na is an additive?.

Yea..really.what's up with that? Must be a new analyst.

I thought I would sometimes smell anti-freeze after getting out of the car, but I never found anything under the hood.

This should be an interesting call to the dealership.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You have relatively high Na, K, Si and antifreeze is .33% and Blackstone thinks the Na is an additive?....it well may be but....you may have a coolant leak. Admittedly still breaking in.

I would get it checked out, run a short interval, resample, etc.

The K is only 5, that's still noise territory. I don't think the antifreeze reading is accurate, I think the equipment might be in error here.

I would wait and resample the oil in 3k and see if the numbers drop.

5 ppm K is not noise. Plus on your advice, ignore a positive coolant reading?

Wait for what? It's a new car. I would at the very least get it registered/recorded* with the dealer and then short interval with a resample. (so we agree there).

*Although most dealers will play complete fool.....don't let 'em push back.

I spoke earlier with the dealer. I'm taking it in Monday. I told the service manager about the coolant showing up in the UOA. He doesn't know what they can do to find a leak that only show up on a chemical analysis. I have another warranty issue to handle, so I have to go there anyways.

I also called Blackstone about the report to get clarification. The tech I spoke to seemed to think the antifreeze number was a byproduct of additives in the previous oils (Motorcraft OEM and Kendall) and the newness of the engine. He doesn't think there is actually a leak present.

I'll probably have the dealer look at it and I'll take the report with me. At least it will be noted in the system. I'll pull a sample at 3,000 miles and have that analyzed for an update.

Originally Posted By: Scott P
He doesn't know what they can do to find a leak that only show up on a chemical analysis.
The reality of the situation is that smaller leaks can only be found by used oil analysis. Pressure tests may (and do ) fail bc the leak may only open up at temp.

The tech I spoke to seemed to think the antifreeze number was a byproduct of additives in the previous oils (Motorcraft OEM and Kendall) and the newness of the engine.

I don't understand that bc I believe that Blackstone uses a test specifically for glycol, in addition to potassium/sodium. I could be wrong though.

I'll probably have the dealer look at it and I'll take the report with me. At least it will be noted in the system. I'll pull a sample at 3,000 miles and have that analyzed for an update.

As Pabs said they may try to stonewall you. But yea at least for now get it flagged in the system. If worst comes to worst you may want to get Terry Dyson to do an interpretation on your next analysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scott P
I spoke earlier with the dealer. I'm taking it in Monday. I told the service manager about the coolant showing up in the UOA. He doesn't know what they can do to find a leak that only show up on a chemical analysis. I have another warranty issue to handle, so I have to go there anyways.

I also called Blackstone about the report to get clarification. The tech I spoke to seemed to think the antifreeze number was a byproduct of additives in the previous oils (Motorcraft OEM and Kendall) and the newness of the engine. He doesn't think there is actually a leak present.

As some one who had a slight head gasket leak found by a UOA and then got the MFG to pay for it out of warranty a few things.

1. Have them take their super duper smog machine and sniff the radiator for CO2. If there is even a slight leak it will show up.

2. They have tabs (test strips) that they put in the coolant to test for combustion byproducts.

Both of those confirmed the slight head gasket leak BOTH times on my 99 ford. (and AFTER the UOA found it)

If you get on it quickly, the engine will still have a long life. Short oil changes are best until you fix it and after it is fixed.

They tried to blow me off the first time, I would not allow them even though I was out of warranty by 25k miles. They did pay for the repairs ($1200), the rent a car ($400) and the repair lasted from 61k to 108k. They did not pay for the 108k repairs.

Take care and good luck.

Bill

It's probably a darn good idea to try a different lab next time. And indeed sniffer tests are smart and cheap. I'm not gonna rule out that somehow your engine got some build contamination, but the lab talk is not ringing true. What they should have said and what I don't know is what the base Na level of Kendall is....I found one UOA and it said Na=0.....so the previous oil left over 100 ppm of Na behind?............hmm....unlikely.

I might ask for a sample of the oil they use to send in to get a baseline since Blackstone said they'd test it for free.

No need to put "snake oil" additives into a new car. May void your warranty. Further,maybe the "snake oil" was contaminated,maybe the dealer fill was contaminated. Take your own oil to the dealer for the next change. Use the 3k oci till you figure out what's going on.

There was no "snake oil" added to the car. I do my own changes typically, but since they offered a free one, I took them up on the offer.

Have an update.

The oil used was Valvoline dino 5W-20. Does that change the interpretation of the sodium levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back