08 2.4l Camry 24Ks dealer certified car GOOD BUY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
To much for an older car, spend the extra $6k on a new one.

Yep! You'll get it back come trade in time.

It is not a bad car; if you are in a pinch, it sounds like a good buy.

A couple of things to look out for (4 cyl for me):
1. The car eats front tires (they are usually slick by 25K).
2. Gas mileage, with everything in your favor, will still stink. The best I have ever gotten in 30MPG on the highway.
3. This engine is not one of Toyota's best. It has what sounds valve chatter during different engine loads. And it can burn oil.
4. There is a TSB to fix the rear brakes. I can't remember what it entails.
5. The interior lighting for the AC, radio, and other center panel buttons looks like it was pulled out of the Star Trek Enterprise. The interior lightening of the 2012 is better.

Last edited:
$14800 is an excellent price for that car. Wholesale is around $13000. Your car comes CPO'd, recon'd, and with new tires, so that's about $1000. I doubt there is much profit for the dealer here. Certainly less than $1000.

They're excellent cars so if this one checks out, grab it. The price is definitely right.

YOURS might eat front tires, none of the four we have had over almost 600K miles ever had......it's called ALIGNMENTS and checking air pressures regularly.

Gas mileage has been GREAT ! 34-35 on the highway, 27-28
overall.

The Toyota 4 banger is one of Toyota's BEST, and one of the
most reliable in the indistry. Absolutely NO oil buring
and no oil added in 6500-7500K OCI's.

Lot's of cars have "TSB's...doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. Never experienced a rear brake problem with ANY of them.

Interior lighting is just fine in the 08.....so is the 12.

You take care of them, they take care of you !

It's best to buy "high resale value" cars new. Buy the "low resale value" cars used.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
It's best to buy "high resale value" cars new. Buy the "low resale value" cars used.

Or how about this: buy
"high resale value" cars.

Just a few thoughts -- in the case of this car, if the buyer will consider a new version of the car, there is no argument - new is better, especially if it a question or $15,000 vs. $21,000.

There is also a lack of understanding about the CPO value. We can agree that identical cars can be sold either with, or without CPO coverage. Generally, though, the CPO car is in better shape. But that's not why you but CPO. You buy CPO to get warranty coverage in case something goes wrong. You get the manufacturer to stand behind the car.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Originally Posted By: FZ1

Or how about this: buy
"high resale value" cars.

Why buy a used high resale value car when the used price is so close to new?

Here's my final post on this worn out subject...

1.The difference between used and new is close to Seven thousand dollars, when you include tax and tags and prep. I would never make that cash that up.

2. I was able to purchase the car for a grand total of $15,900
and that includes tax,tags, fees and prep, as well as a toyota platinum(84 month comprehensive warranty) good till June 2015. All with 2.9% financing. Did I mention the full tank of gas as well as free monthly car washes??

3. I have been hard pressed to find another car within 300 miles of me with less miles and certified, not including the extra 32 months bumper to bumper warranty for less then
$16,500.

4. The owner was a one car owner who is a middle aged lady, who travels in the area to administer to the sick in hospitals...

5. brand new tires, as I was told by the dealer that when ever a certified vehicle is to be sold a minimun of 1600.00 goes into the car....so if the tires have less then 50% tread they get replaced at the shop.. and a new inspection till 10.12 and new brake pads all around..

6. I am happy with this deal, I feel that for the money , I did my homework.

lucerne06

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Originally Posted By: Chris142
"Certified" doesn't mean anything.

"Certified with Toyota Warranty" confers some very meaningful benefits on a used car to the new owner. It means that for a period of time, someone else pays (Toyota) in the event of mechanical failure. In fact "Certified" means plenty.

It could mean a lot of things. Being a former Scion(Toyota) owner the shop was always a fight to get things fixed, most of the time they would fix it after I made a stink but they would always chime in that it was somehow in the end my fault and that these cars are indestructible inside and out.

Love the cars, dealers can be sketchy. Make sure you do your homework on the dealer and the car.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
Here's my final post on this worn out subject...

1.The difference between used and new is close to Seven thousand dollars, when you include tax and tags and prep. I would never make that cash that up.

2. I was able to purchase the car for a grand total of $15,900
and that includes tax,tags, fees and prep, as well as a toyota platinum(84 month comprehensive warranty) good till June 2015. All with 2.9% financing. Did I mention the full tank of gas as well as free monthly car washes??

3. I have been hard pressed to find another car within 300 miles of me with less miles and certified, not including the extra 32 months bumper to bumper warranty for less then
$16,500.

4. The owner was a one car owner who is a middle aged lady, who travels in the area to administer to the sick in hospitals...

5. brand new tires, as I was told by the dealer that when ever a certified vehicle is to be sold a minimun of 1600.00 goes into the car....so if the tires have less then 50% tread they get replaced at the shop.. and a new inspection till 10.12 and new brake pads all around..

6. I am happy with this deal, I feel that for the money , I did my homework.

lucerne06

Best wishes with your new car, and thanks for sharing the experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back