07 Odyssey Valve Cover Photos and Cam Scoring

Out of curiosity, what did it cost you for a timing belt and valve adjustment in your area?
I forget the exact amount off the top of my head, but he did timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and adjusted valves (parts and labor) for around $600. I got a great, honest mechanic that's been in biz for himself for about 30 years, only charges $55/hr for labor, and I can bring my own parts with zero complaints (or penalties).

Honda's VCM implementation was nothing short of a disaster for engine longevity

No wonder there was class action suit after class action suit

Even if you did a 3k OCI on these things, they'd lose compression and need re-ringed

Plus $700+ engine mounts, and a questionable AT

Odyssey and Pilot/MDX from that era are far from Honda's better vehicles
Thank you-I dunno how/why so many ppl have a problem with these cars. Mine has 100K on it and absolutely flawless. I keep an eye on the oil level and pcv valve ( like I do for any car). Do 4-5K changes on it. Except for a set of rear OE struts, that's it.

I forget the exact amount off the top of my head, but he did timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and adjusted valves (parts and labor) for around $600. I got a great, honest mechanic that's been in biz for himself for about 30 years, only charges $55/hr for labor, and I can bring my own parts with zero complaints (or penalties).
Perks of your location! Cost of an Aisin kit, valve cover gaskets, plugs and coolant is around $300. If he charged you anywhere near $300 for that job, that is an incredible price.

Thank you-I dunno how/why so many ppl have a problem with these cars. Mine has 100K on it and absolutely flawless. I keep an eye on the oil level and pcv valve ( like I do for any car). Do 4-5K changes on it. Except for a set of rear OE struts, that's it.
The issues usually do not arise until high mileage, usually after 150K. Since you are approaching 100k and it is time for the valve adjustment, take some pictures of your valvetrain and carefully check for any cam scoring.

Critic, yeah, he's an old-school indie that does the right thing. Plus his building has been paid off for probably 20 years, so he doesn't have $$$ overhead costs. He's got about 4 years left til retirement, which will likely be about the last gasoline cars that liberals will let us buy, so it works out :)

Critic, yeah, he's an old-school indie that does the right thing. Plus his building has been paid off for probably 20 years, so he doesn't have $$$ overhead costs. He's got about 4 years left til retirement, which will likely be about the last gasoline cars that liberals will let us buy, so it works out :)
You might need to start wrenching yourself in 4 years. ;)

Parts and labor for that job out here is about $2k.

Perks of your location! Cost of an Aisin kit, valve cover gaskets, plugs and coolant is around $300. If he charged you anywhere near $300 for that job, that is an incredible price.

The issues usually do not arise until high mileage, usually after 150K. Since you are approaching 100k and it is time for the valve adjustment, take some pictures of your valvetrain and carefully check for any cam scoring.
Thank you for the heads up-much appreciated.

$2000 for that, wow. Local euro guy wants $800 for that just north of philly

Last edited:
I do my own wrenching, on stuff that I a) have the tools to do; and b) have the enthusiasm to do. Occasionally, they both line up.

Changing cams in the Odyssey is something that neither qualifier will meet for me.
"Occasionally, they both line up" that's the way it usually is for us! LOL

Honda's VCM implementation was nothing short of a disaster for engine longevity

No wonder there was class action suit after class action suit

Even if you did a 3k OCI on these things, they'd lose compression and need re-ringed

Plus $700+ engine mounts, and a questionable AT

Odyssey and Pilot/MDX from that era are far from Honda's better vehicles
Put an 85 cent 90 ohm resistor on the temp sensor and problem solved. 150K miles on my van, never an engine mount replaced and plugs looked good when replaced at 100K.

Put an 85 cent 90 ohm resistor on the temp sensor and problem solved. 150K miles on my van, never an engine mount replaced and plugs looked good when replaced at 100K.
Thanks- I was gonna do that but there are available inexpensive kits that let you dial in precisely what one needs based on driving and climate conditions.
Is your van VCM-I or -VCM II equipped? Has your resistor set up worked seamlessly under all conditions? Would like to know your experience. Greatly appreciated

Thank you for the heads up-much appreciated.

$2000 for that, wow. Local euro guy wants $800 for that just north of philly
Usually it is $1k-$1200 for timing belt, water pump, drive belt, hydraulic tensioner. Spark Plugs and Valve adjustment are an extra $6-$800.

The 02 Ody I help maintain has almost 300,000 miles on it (or maybe a little more than 300,000 now) and runs like a dream. Doesn't use a drop of oil between 3K oil changes with 10W30 (has 5W30 on oil fill cap). Were these engines different?
My wife's aunt lives next door to us and had that same year. She sold it to another family member as-is two years ago with 120K on conventional (don't recall the viscosity) and it now has 150K...still on conventional and zero issues. Like Trav and other's have mentioned, that VCM really does a number on these engines.

Dang, what happened to Honda quality in the last decade and a half? Are the days of driving a Honda to 500K miles a thing of the past?

When I was researching used mini vans, the Honda ones seemed to always have a high failure rate in the drivetrain. Especially the transmissions on their vans, which got changed out as often as one would change the timing belt on a regular engine. LOL

Is Toyota the only player from Japan these days that can still put out vehicles capable of 500K miles without major repairs/replacements?

Dang, what happened to Honda quality in the last decade and a half? Are the days of driving a Honda to 500K miles a thing of the past?

When I was researching used mini vans, the Honda ones seemed to always have a high failure rate in the drivetrain. Especially the transmissions on their vans, which got changed out as often as one would change the timing belt on a regular engine. LOL

Is Toyota the only player from Japan these days that can still put out vehicles capable of 500K miles without major repairs/replacements?
Several Honda's have popped up on reddit with a million miles. Usually on their second engine but still. Why do people jump to conclusions when there is a thread about an issue with a Honda engine and say "Welp, there goes their reliability". My dads CRV hit 350K before the frame rusted out from the northeast weather. Do regular maintenance on a Honda and it will last a long time.

Several Honda's have popped up on reddit with a million miles. Usually on their second engine but still. Why do people jump to conclusions when there is a thread about an issue with a Honda engine and say "Welp, there goes their reliability". My dads CRV hit 350K before the frame rusted out from the northeast weather. Do regular maintenance on a Honda and it will last a long time.
I understand my wording might have come across as hyperbolic, but it still holds weight. It's percentages, not outliers. Toyota had engines that would sludge up easily on a higher percentage than normal. But there were still people getting 400-500K out of their 1mzfe engines. Toyota had lawsuits levied against them because of it and was forced to take action.

My dad got mad when I installed smoke detectors in his house. His response was that his house has never burned down before and he doesn't know anyone personally who has had their house burned down. Thus the idea of smoke detectors was stupid.

Thanks- I was gonna do that but there are available inexpensive kits that let you dial in precisely what one needs based on driving and climate conditions.
Is your van VCM-I or -VCM II equipped? Has your resistor set up worked seamlessly under all conditions? Would like to know your experience. Greatly appreciated
Kit's are $80-150. The one with an adjustable resistor is nice for warmer weather climates so you can turn up the resistance a bit. It's not a "perfect" fix but should disable VCM 95% of the time. On really hot summer days I might see the ECO light come on once if I'm on back roads but almost never on the highway. Having some electronics and soldering skills, I just soldered in a resistor for $1. If it goes bad I can replace it easy. For the layman I recommend the kit.

Define what is allowed. If you are allowed to replace the engine once, trans thrice, and every other driveline component a few times, then everything can go 500k, right?

IMO Honda isn't for high miles. That some can make it isn't indicative of their ability. I've only had two examples but neither impress me, an '01 Civic and an '03 CRV. Maybe if someone was driving 500 miles a day? Seems like one pays a premium for something that won't last any longer but will require more expensive parts & service. Maybe I'm jaded, dunno.

Not that Toyota holds the edge. Their goof ups are well known (sludge and rust).

Kit's are $80-150. The one with an adjustable resistor is nice for warmer weather climates so you can turn up the resistance a bit. It's not a "perfect" fix but should disable VCM 95% of the time. On really hot summer days I might see the ECO light come on once if I'm on back roads but almost never on the highway. Having some electronics and soldering skills, I just soldered in a resistor for $1. If it goes bad I can replace it easy. For the layman I recommend the kit.
Thanks-
I solder a lot. Not scared of that. Where did you splice in that resistor?

Thanks-
I solder a lot. Not scared of that. Where did you splice in that resistor?
Screenshot_211.jpg

I slid the shrink wrap over that and heated it up so it's nice and sealed, then used electrical tape and the original wire protector over that.

Back