07 Mustang GT, Mobil1 5W-20, 5000-OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This run was mostly longer trips at around 35mi each. Mostly winter driving with a bout 5 minutes of idle warm up before moving. There were a few drag passes on the this OCI with a mixture of mostly pump gas(93-octane) and Torco unleaded race fuel. No other additives to fuel or oil. I inquired about 5w30 which is why it is mentioned in the report. UOA done by Blackstone Labratories.

70749e4b64076fb6.jpg

Strong tbn. Results look good. Don't over react to one UOA showing high Pb. Could be nothing at all. These types of UOA's don't give enough insight to really determine why Pb is a bit elevated. I'd continue using this oil.

You may have to bump up viscosity but start a trend at least before jumping ship. One UOA isn't worth much.

I dunno. I don't remember seeing modular Ford V8s with break-in metals this far into the engine cycle. ALL the wear metals are elevated... copper, lead, iron. I'd try a 30W for a couple of 5000 OCIs and see if the metals trend down.

IMO the cold winter temps combined with all the idling has probably contributed a lot to those wear numbers. I agree to stick with the same oil for a while (if it's not too late already) and see what the next report is like.

So what oil is in this car now anyways?

I would stay with this oil for now, but switch to Shell V-Power gas only. I think the Pb and Cu may be due to fuel additive leaching.

I think it could be the gas as well, and with 25000 miles on the engine it could be finally broken in. I would try the oil one more time before changing to a 5W-30.

AD

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Wear metals seem high. Viscosity and TBN are good, though.

high metal reading possibly from residual oil from last oil drain.
happens more often than not.
let the oil drain for a few days istead of a few minutes.
quick drains screw up analysis everytime.

Still on Mobil 1 5w20 which is what the car has always had since I bought it. I have decided to go for one more OCI since the oil is already in the engine and I would be throwing away brand new oil just to switch over.

Why Shell v-power? I normally use Exxon or Sunoco

DAYS?! well, I can see what I can do about that but this being my DD, I dont know how long I can have the car down...

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Wear metals seem high. Viscosity and TBN are good, though.

high metal reading possibly from residual oil from last oil drain.
happens more often than not.
let the oil drain for a few days istead of a few minutes.
quick drains screw up analysis everytime.

The mileage is too low to make a firm decision, imo. 25,000 miles on a 4.6 will skew the results. Probably still showing some break-in metals.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
5k max oci. Try PP 5-20. It's a little more dense but still in grade.

Isn't the base oil in PP weaker than M1?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: FZ1
5k max oci. Try PP 5-20. It's a little more dense but still in grade.

Isn't the base oil in PP weaker than M1?

Doubtful.

PP 5W-20 is outstanding oil.

From all that I have read PP appears to be a very good oil. M1 seems to have a stronger base oil, thats all.

Originally Posted By: zulu
I dunno. I don't remember seeing modular Ford V8s with break-in metals this far into the engine cycle. ALL the wear metals are elevated... copper, lead, iron. I'd try a 30W for a couple of 5000 OCIs and see if the metals trend down.

16PPM iron is high-ROTHFLMAO

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Originally Posted By: zulu

16PPM iron is high-ROTHFLMAO

Not acording to the universal average and the experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back