07 Hyundai Sonata, Pennzoil Platin 5W30, 6325 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Platin 5W30, 6325 mi

07 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L (I4) manual tranny. 90% highway driving. Bosch filter. Previous fill was Mobil Clean 7500 which accounts for the increased sodium.

LAB NUMBER: D67890
UNIT ID: '07 SONATA
REPORT DATE: 3/2/2009

MAKE/MODEL: Hyundai 2.4L
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30
OIL USE INTERVAL: 6,325 Miles
ADDITIONAL INFO: Hyundai Sonata I4

These Sonata's usually look stellar in analysis, and yours was no exception. Universal averages show typical wear metals from this type of engine after about 4,400 miles on the oil. Wear was low and nicely balanced, showing that no problems exist at parts sharing the oil. The sodium found is from the previous oil; Mobil Clean 7500 uses it as a detergent/dispersant additive. The TBN was 4.1 (1.0 is the lowest threshold of usability), so a good deal of additive was still active. No gas or coolant found, and the viscosity was perfect. Nice report here at 90,056 miles.

MI/HR on Oil 6,325
MI/HR on Unit 90,056
Sample Date 02/21/09
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

SAMPLE / UNIVERSAL

ALUMINUM - 2 / 2
CHROMIUM - 1 / 1
IRON - 5 / 7
COPPER - 1 / 5
LEAD - 0 / 1
TIN - 0 / 1
MOLYBDENUM - 58 / 44
NICKEL - 0 / 0
MANGANESE - 0 / 1
SILVER - 0 / 0
TITANIUM - 0 / 0
POTASSIUM - 2 / 1
BORON - 33 / 25
SILICON - 7 / 13
SODIUM - 40 / 12
CALCIUM - 2818 / 2283
MAGNESIUM - 11 / 65
PHOSPHORUS - 670 / 701
ZINC - 824 / 856
BARIUM - 0 / 0

.........................Value / Should Be
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F - 56.6 / 56-63
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C - 9.23 / 9.1-11.3
Flashpoint in °F - 370 / >365
Fuel % - Antifreeze % - 0.0 / 0.0
Water % - 0.0 / Insolubles % - 0.3 / TBN - 4.1

Nice report, I have the same engine in my Kia Rondo. I was eyeing the PP at the Wallyworld but decided to stay conventional - dealer wants 3K changes for warranty compliance. Since you are at 90,000 miles you probably don't care as much.

Do you get any startup noise with the Bosch? I have found that aftermarket filters tend to give me some ticking at startup. The Kia/Hyundai OEM filters don't seem to give me this problem.

90k miles on a 2007? WOW! I'm going to guess you spend a lot of time on the highway? How long was this oil in for? I'd think you could run this oil for a while longer, maybe going to 8k under similar conditions and see what your UOA looks like and see where to go from there.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Nice report, I have the same engine in my Kia Rondo. I was eyeing the PP at the Wallyworld but decided to stay conventional - dealer wants 3K changes for warranty compliance. Since you are at 90,000 miles you probably don't care as much.

Do you get any startup noise with the Bosch? I have found that aftermarket filters tend to give me some ticking at startup. The Kia/Hyundai OEM filters don't seem to give me this problem.

Thanks. Nothing out of the ordinary regarding startup noise with the Bosch filter - been using them for 80k miles on the Sonata.

I usually use Mobil Clean 7500 10W30 (or 5W30 when the weather gets really cold) but I had a case of PP 5W30 that I got for free so I used it. Your startup ticking noise is not unusual for Hyundai engines - it is probably the fuel injectors.

Regards,
GEWB

Nice report, but a bit of a waste of the oil - could have easily done 10k with that TBN - you could have gotten the same results here with YB at that mileage.

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Relaxing report.
How would you rate the clutch and shifter in this Sonata?

For a land cruiser it's not too bad. Throw is a little long (not as bad as many others) but what do I want...it's a family sedan!

I did change the factory tranny oil to a 50/50 mix of Red Line MT-90 and MTL and that made a slight improvement in lower gear shifting.

Regards,
GEWB

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
90k miles on a 2007? WOW! I'm going to guess you spend a lot of time on the highway?

Yup - 1,000 miles a week but that will come to and end in a couple weeks (contract is over).

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
How long was this oil in for? I'd think you could run this oil for a while longer, maybe going to 8k under similar conditions and see what your UOA looks like and see where to go from there.

This was in for 6,325 miles. I changed it at that mileage because the weekend weather was really nice for this time of year and I had the time available. Another week would add another 1k miles and no guarantee what the next weekend weather would be like - could have been a blizzard!

Regards,
GEWB

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Nice report, but a bit of a waste of the oil - could have easily done 10k with that TBN - you could have gotten the same results here with YB at that mileage.

20/20 hindsight...coulda, woulda, shoulda. My warranty states 7,500 miles max for oil change. I was over 6,300 and put on 1k miles a week...that left one week and one day to max out. Given Colorado weather this time of year that one week more on the oil was not important. Besides, I got the PP for free.

Regards,
GEWB

wow, Hyundai is putting alot of nice wearing engines now. UOA's bear this out.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: GEWB

20/20 hindsight...coulda, woulda, shoulda. My warranty states 7,500 miles max for oil change. I was over 6,300 and put on 1k miles a week...that left one week and one day to max out. Given Colorado weather this time of year that one week more on the oil was not important. Besides, I got the PP for free.

Regards,
GEWB

Makes sense. Sorry to sound critical. Keep warranty intact = good.

Makes sense. Sorry to sound critical. Keep warranty intact = good.

Hello addyguy -

Didn't sound critical to me...sounded like a true environmentalist and a person who values hard-earned money. Admirable qualities in my book.

Regards,
GEWB

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Relaxing report.
How would you rate the clutch and shifter in this Sonata?

For a land cruiser it's not too bad. Throw is a little long (not as bad as many others) but what do I want...it's a family sedan!

I did change the factory tranny oil to a 50/50 mix of Red Line MT-90 and MTL and that made a slight improvement in lower gear shifting.

Regards,
GEWB

Ha, so their manual transmissions are as clunky as their automatics?

I agree (with other posts) that modern Hyundai Sonata engines are very nice.

Regards,
GEWB

Makes sense, especially if it's the first time you've used a particular oil, and you drive so much, and you want to keep the warranty intact. Using a long wearing oil in your situation makes sense since you've then got a lot more margin if you weren't able to change it for a few extra weeks (which is THOUSANDS of miles in your case) due to weather, etc. My CR-V barely covered 4k miles last year. All stop and go trips with all under 6 miles and most under 3 miles. Definitely wouldn't be apples to apples to compare the two!

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

Ha, so their manual transmissions are as clunky as their automatics?

I agree (with other posts) that modern Hyundai Sonata engines are very nice.

Hmm, no, I think their manual tranny is pretty darn good. I have had two Hyundais with manual trannys and have driven them over 280,000 miles (combined) without so much as a hickup. My comment was regarding the shift throw - it is shorter than many sedans but not as short and quick as a good sports car.

As for improving shift quality with Red Line, I would venture to guess that 85% of all manual tranny cars could benefit from a more custom balancing of fluid to meet the driver's desired feel and mechanical performance.

Can't speak to their automatics.

Regards,
GEWB

Thanks, GEWB.

I didn't get to test drive a manual Sonata, dealer wouldn't stock them here. I am glad to hear they are good, thanks for the elaboration!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back