07 Civic factory power steering fluid - 29k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an analysis of the factory power steering fluid from my 07 Civic (w/ the 1.8L engine). The power steering pump was a bit noisy, so the dealer replaced it under warranty a few weeks ago. Before the replacement, I took a small sample from the reservoir to have it analyzed, just in case the problem could have "migrated" to the gearbox by way of excess wear.

Just figured I'd post the UOA for the archives, since there aren't many PS fluid analyses up.

CivicPowerSteering.jpg

Wow - some of those numbers seem pretty darn high for a fluid most people leave in for the life of the vehicle. I am sure they could be from new vehicle wear in, but we do not have a lot of PS UOA to go against.

I wonder how many PS samples Blackstone has to come up with universal averages.

I think its good you did the UOA, just not sure how you can compare. I think best bet is to hang on to the results and have Terry analyze them if you have further problems.

Donald: I don't expect to have any problems. Honestly at this point I'm not even sure the pump needed to be changed but I can only assume they wouldn't have done it under warranty unless they determined it was needed (especially since I didn't suggest to them that the pump might be the problem).

You're right though that the numbers seem pretty high. The only thing I can think of is that the averages come from PS systems whose fluids are replaced regularly (heavy fleet vehicles, maybe?). The 13,000 mile suggestion for a change does seem kind of humorous in light of the fact that most cars never have this fluid changed. Also, to my knowledge we don't know what virgin Honda PSF looks like, right?

If I get bored I may do a fluid exchange at some future point in the life of the car. If I do, I'll definitely get the fluid analyzed. I'd consider doing an exchange/analysis on one of our other cars too out of curiosity, but I doubt I'd actually do it and the $$ is probably better spent on engine or transmission oil analyses anyway.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure that any fluid type that comes out of this car is getting analyzed at least once, just for curiosity sake.

I thought they had electric PS? Anyway, I added some ARX to my 07 PSF and will be flushing it out soon. I have 29k too, should I do a UOA to compare? It would tell if your pump was shedding excess metal. I'd swap it out soon in case there are particles grinding down your seals.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I thought they had electric PS?

The Civic SI has electric PS, but the base models still have a normal hydraulic belt driven setup.

I think enough of the fluid came out with the pump change that I'm not going to worry about it.

Did you end up changing out your fluid yet? A comparison UOA would be cool but I don't see a real strong need for it if you have other UOs to A too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back