06 VW GLI consumes GC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as the title states my 06 VW GLI with 12k miles consumes a little GC at the rate of approx 1/3 quart every 2k miles. I realize that this is not an unusual amount of consumption, but what bothers me is that I really need to watch my oil level when using GC. My car did not use any Syntec 5w40 over the 3k miles I used it. So here are my questions:

Which 5w40 should I use?
a. Castrol Syntec 5w40
b. Valvoline Synpower 5w40
c. Mobil 1 0w40
d. Mobil 1 Truck 5w40 (Where can you find the new stuff here in the southeast?)

Why am I seeing consumption with GC.... it's not really much lighter than the 40 weight?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

My 03' VW 1.8T engine consumed it a little too. It also consumed 5W-40 Syntec much more so than GC, while yours was the opposite. Weird. The 5W-40 might have sheered to a lower viscosity in my engine than GC. Yes that would be severe shearing but a few UOAs have shown it's quite the shearable oil.

Likely causes of unnatural (oil-dependent) oil consumption: low viscosity, deposit buildup on ring packs, worn out oil. I'm guessing GC was just thin enough to cause it since the other candidates are unlikely.

I'd rank the above oils as
1. M1 5W-40 (good luck finding it; seen at Pep Boys and Advance Autoparts; only downside is ash content)
2. Valvoline 5W-40 (Napa part #966; also seen at Pep Boys; still has strong add pack)
3. M1 0W-40 (it hurts to see its analyses!)
4. Syntec 5W-40 (you know I don't like it by now)

Will you mail order oil? If so, Lubromoly 5W-40 or Pentosin 5W-40 are some fantastic, affordable oils. For some reason, my Advance Autoparts store carries Lubromoly products so I get mine there ($31 for 5 liter jug). Remember, oil is cheap, gasoline is expensive!

What affect would the ash content have on my engine? Maybe I should give Valvoline a go next time....

It's not a big deal but when oil is burned in combustion chambers, ash forms from the metallic additives (zinc, phoshorous, calcium, magnesium,etc) which can stick to rings, spark plugs, valves. But the layer can only get so thick before it breaks off so don't sweat it. With low oil consumption, not much ash is produced so don't let that stop you from using M1 5W-40. Plus these high additive levels are what make this oil so strong.

Gilitar, which engine does your '06 VW GLI have? Sorry that I'm not up to date regarding VW's engine lineup.

My '96 Audi S6 2.2 TQ also consumed more oil when running on SLX Longtec 0W-30 (GC gold in Europa?). That's the first 30wt oil I've run in this engine so I just assumed it was due to the thinner oil.
Consumtion with 40wt oil has been consistent, 0.5 liter every 4000-5000 km (different brands, all synthetic group III or IV). Consumption on GC was 0.9 liters after 4000 km.

Yeah I believe that the minor difference in visocity is to blame. BTW, it's the new 2.0t FSI.

Would you be willing to do an experiment by running a VW 504* spec oil and see how consumption compares?
grin.gif
I suspect oil consumption would go up compared to a VW 502 spec oil, though.

*VW 504 is specified for the Euro version of this engine due to the optimized emissions controls system. You may of course use VW 504 spec oil in your NA engine. Elf and Motul should have some. They're all 5W-30 (so far).

I also have an 06 GLI with the 2.0T engine and in the manual it says that oil consumption is normal during break in period. However, the manual also states that the preferred viscosity is 5W-40, so maybe you should stick with that until the engine is broken in. I've had many VW's and I also love GC, but maybe you should stick with the viscosity recommended in your manual. How do you like your GLI? I have the shadow blue 6 speed manual and I freak'in love it. Its a beast... I've heard that after a few mods, the car will dyno at like 250 - 300 hp!!

I have an 06 GLI, too, and noticed a lot of consumption of the factory fill during the first 5K (almost 2 quarts), a little less during the second 5K (about 1 quart), and about 1 quart in the 8K miles since my last oil change. After the factory fill, my dealer has been putting in M1 0w40, which I've been topping up with GC. It's due for another oil change in about 2K more miles. I still have another quart of GC, but perhaps I'll start topping off with Valvoline 5w40 after I run out of the GC. I really want to stick with the VW 502.00 during the warranty, so I'll avoid M1 5w40 for now (it's intended for diesel engines).

I absolutey love this car! I really want to drive to Auburn, AL and have the guys at APR flash the ECU, but the wife says I don't need it.
rolleyes.gif
I will top up with GC as needed until the next change and then change to Synpower 5w40. I hear that it's a group IV base oil???

I'd use MaxLife Synth over SynPower, it meets lotsa specs like BMW LL-04, MB 229.5 and at a minimum VW 502, probally 503.01 too. Personally, GC was the lowest consuming oil I used. I did two 11k miles/6 month runs and burned under 2q in my 1999 V6 30v.

Formulating a 0w-xx oil requires the use of low molecular weight, more volatile basestocks. Most of the oil used in a new engine is simply from evaporation of these lighter components. Some of the oil in the crankcase evaporates and these oil vapors are drawn in through the PCV system and burned in the combustion chambers. This is particularly true of a turbocharged engine used in a very hot climate, as is the case in point....

Their are two strategies that will help in this situation:

1) Use VW 502.00 or ACEA, A3 rated, 5w-30 or 10w-30 synthetic with heavier and more thermally stable basestocks. Something like Redline or the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 would work. These grades also tend to have less polymeric thickener, which makes them less prone to high temp varnish deposits and shearing. Particularly important in a turbocharged engine application....

2) Use a significantly higher viscosity, 5w-40 synthetic that will also use a higher molecular weight basestock blend. The easiest to find would be a 5w-40, HDEO like Delvac 1, or one of the various "Euro" synthetics.

I honestly don't think the Mobil 1, 0w-40 will help in this regard for several reasons. First a 0w-40 is also going to have a fairly high evaporation rate and will burn off easily. Secondly it's not going to be any thicker than the oil you're using in terms of HT/HS viscosity (botha are about 3.5-3.6 Cp @ 150C). Finally it's going to shear down like crazy under your driving conditions in this engine....

TS

FWIMBW: My A4 1.8t with 100K miles has never consumed any discernible amount of oil in 5K OCI's regardless of the oil brand, factory fill, dealer supplied, M1 15w50, M1 0w40, or GC (which I'm using now).

I'm not sure if this was asked, but at what mileage did you drain out the factory fill? And what did you put in for the first service fill? Those seem to be factors with some VWs.

Dumped the factory fill at 3k miles and filled with GC. Since then I changed it at 7k with Syntec 5w40 and then at 10k went back with GC.

I think your consumption rate is normal.Not that it couldn't be improved, but burning some oil is normal, esp in Euro engines. I don't want to go as far as say it's made to consume oil to extend engine life, I've only heard this and no personal exp with your 2.0. I imagine you drive hard, etc. If you wanted a baseline oil to test against, Syntec 5w-50 would be one. In summer M1 15w-50, but the Syntec would be my choice.

quote:

Originally posted by Gilitar:
Dumped the factory fill at 3k miles and filled with GC. Since then I changed it at 7k with Syntec 5w40 and then at 10k went back with GC.

I've spent a good bit of time lately trying to figure out the newer VW engines and some of the conflicting recommendations and experiences of owners with break in and oil. One thing I have observed is that owners who drain the factory fill (which appears to be a moly-laden blend) earlier than recommended (5k) AND then refill with a full synthetic seem to complain more of consumption issues thereafter. You seem to fit that profile.

The best conclusion I can draw on the matter is that the VW factory hone takes an extended period to bring down, and that going to a full syn too soon prematurely retards the process.

If it's not too late, perhaps try a couple of quick changes with a lighter weight blend or premium conventional to see if the consumption tapers, and then go back to a normal OCI on synthetic thereafter.

Although I will add that 1/3 quart over 2k is not that bad.

For comparison my 2002 Audi TT quattro, with the 1.8L, 225 hp engine, uses 1/4 qt about every 3k-3.5k miles.

I've run five different Amsoil formulations in it: 0w-30/10w-30/0w-40/5w-40/10w-40 and this consumption is about the same. These oils have varied from 3.5 Cp to 4.3 Cp in terms of HT/HS viscosity and from 5.4% to 8.4% in terms of Noack Number.

I'd say some oil consumption is enherent in the design and operating temps of this series of engines.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back