06 Infiniti M45 - PP Euro L 5W30 - 5.8k miles

I have to say, I'm pleased as can be with this report. Pushed it further than I ever have, used a stout Euro oil that is also CAT friendly, and came back with great metals, good visc, no issues with fuel or filtration, and plenty of TBN left over. Everything is below universal averages on a PPM/1000 mi scope (universal avgs based on 4100 miles). Some carryover from the previous oil is skewing the results. Running the same oil now and expect to see higher viscosity on next UOA (virgin viscosity is 11.92).

06m45012623.jpg

I think having to add that much make up oil might be skewing the results more than the previous oils. That's close to half the sump isn't it?

Also, just as a data point on fuel%, a recent sample I sent to Blackstone came back <0.5 and the same sample sent to OAI was reported at over 2%.

Last edited:
I think having to add that much make up oil might be skewing the results more than the previous oils. That's close to half the sump isn't it?

Also, just as a data point on fuel%, a recent sample I sent to Blackstone came back
True but the flashpoint is around 420 so that's not really diluted.

Also, just as a data point on fuel%, a recent sample I sent to Blackstone came back
It's no more make up oil than previous runs. The car uses a qt every 2k miles like clockwork. Just had more miles on the OCI so I added more times. I added 1qt at 2079 miles and 1 qt at 4229 miles. I added the last .5 qt at 5075 miles because I knew I'd be pushing 6k on the OCI and didn't want to flirt with the oil level getting too low before I got around to changing it.

I think most cars that don't have fuel dilution issues will get >1% using gas chromatography. The previous OCI where the flashpoint was 380 was an outlier. That was the only time I didn't take the car out on a highway drive before the oil change. I took a shortcut and idled the car to warm the oil up before the oil change, which was a mistake on my part.

I'd forgotten. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L starts with 1ppm aluminum and 2ppm iron. So potentially an even better report, if you subtract out 1ppm Al and 2ppm Fe. Here's the VOA, which I sent in from the same jug that went into our M45:

Back