06 Dodge Dakota Handling/struts/front end issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.

I recently posted to you guys about some start up valve noise I had, and you guys were very helpful.

Thanks for that.

I have another issue. I have about 35k on the 06 dodge dakota 3.7L 4x4 i own. When i hit bad ripples, or man holes (ones that have been paved around once or twice, so they are recessed) my truck wants to wander to the left or right. I have to hold the steering wheel to prevent this. For example, i was comming down a road I travel often, which takes a very gradual right turn, for about 60 seconds. At 1 point int he road, there is a crack and a ripple that doesnt look to bad, but when i go over it, my truck almost feels like it wants to hop into the opposing lane, and somtimes i have to steer to correct it.

its to the point where when i know its comming, i slow down. H

HOWEVER, when i hit this ripple with my wifes car, or my fathers truck, its like its not even there.

Could I need struts already? I drive the thing easy, on road mostly, the struts should be like new still.

I only have 35k on the struts...

What could the issue be?

thanks!

Last edited:
The last time I saw a Dodge truck with a premature suspension failure, the inner tie rods had failed.

Tie rods that fail can cause vehicle instability.

Sound like "bump steer". An alignment condition thats main cause is a poorly designed alignment geometry condition. Take to an advanced independent alignment shop, explain in depth, and hope you've foud a really good one. If they are really good (better than me) they can almost make it go away completely.

Bob

Keeping your hands on the wheel is not unusual when driving.
For a quick check of parts, have a helper wiggle the steering wheel back and forth rapidly about 1 inch while you look for parts that do NOT move when they should. If the smallest wheel movement causes the tire to move, you are good.
Sway bar end links are checked visually.
And it IS a truck, so handling is not it's main strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back