06 Colorado, Dreaded P0305 Code...GM says SOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
114k miles. Truck maintained meticulously. Daily driver. Not driven hard. I don't tow, I don't haul. The other day I get the flashing CEL, and take it to my local trusted ASE certified shop. They diagnose the issue and tell me it is TSB PIP4013C. Time for a new head. Chevy swore they had fixed the problem, but I see by the third revision of this TSB, they lied. My truck's SN was origianlly deemed to have a good head. Of course, GM says I am SOL. So I am stuck with a $4500 repair bill.

I will never buy a GM again.

Quote:
#PIP4013C: In-line Truck Engine Misfire at Idle - (Aug 24, 2011)

Subject: In-line Truck Engine Misfire at Idle

Models: 2005-2007 Buick Rainier
2006-2012Chevorlet Colorado
2005-2009 Chevrolet Trail Blazer
2006-2012GMC Canyon
2005-2009 GMC Envoy
2006-2010 Hummer H3
With 2.8L 2.9L, 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.2L Inline Truck Engines (RPO's LK5 LLV L52 LLR LL8)

This PI was superseded to update model years, engine RPOs and recommended field. Please discard PIP4013B.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
On rare occasions, a SES light and P0300 DTC may be encountered as a result of single cylinder misfires only at idle. These misfires may or may not be felt and they will disappear off of idle. If the engine misfires do not occur at idle, this PI does not apply.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a cause for this concern, perform a cylinder leakage test as outlined in the "Cylinder Leakage Test" procedure in SI and document all leakage rates on the repair order. When performing the cylinder leakage test, it is very important to hold the crankshaft with the related piston at top dead center to ensure that the valves are fully closed or inaccurate results may be obtained. If an aftermarket leak-down tester is used, the instructions of the aftermarket tester should also be referenced because with some aftermarket testers, it may be necessary to limit the air pressure to 50 PSI in order to obtain accurate test results.

If a leaking intake valve is found, replace the cylinder head and valves by following the latest versions of 07-06-01-018 (LL8 4.2L), 06-06-01-017 (RPO’s L52, LK5) and 07-06-01-019 (RPO’s LLR, LLV).

Important: Before replacing the cylinder head, review the latest version of PIP3940, which contains some tips for using the lower timing gear tensioner holding tool (EN48464) described in the latest version of the above bulletins. These bulletins contain a revised cylinder head replacement procedure that no longer requires removal of the oil pan, front cover, water pump, or crankshaft dampener. Also, as mentioned in the above bulletins; it is important to install the cylinder head before you install the camshafts. Once the head is installed, the J44221 (Camshaft Holding Tool) should be used to hold the cam flats as the camshafts are installed with the #1 piston at top dead center.

Note: If the cylinder head is installed with the camshafts in place, without using the J44221 to hold the cam flats, or without the #1 piston at TDC, one of the valves could bend, resulting in an engine misfire at idle once the repairs are complete. As a result, it may appear that the new head has the same concern as the cylinder head that you just replaced, when it is actually the result of a bent valve.

Can you just run it with the misfire at idle, or does this mean it's going to blow? For $4,500, I would just run it if it's not fatal.

Are Colorados pure GM, or are they a Nissan truck in GM sheetmetal? I thought I had heard that.

Unfortunately, it is fatal if you just keep driving it, and they are 100% GM. That is probably the problem. If they were Nissan, they would last longer...LOL.

$4500 is probably too much to spend on a 12 year old truck. Also sounds like a lot of money for a head replace. How much is a rebuilt long block?

I would price around. Is $4500 for a Head the going rate these days or is that the GovMo stealership price? Maybe a good Indy shop can do it for less.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would price around. Is $4500 for a Head the going rate these days or is that the GovMo stealership price? Maybe a good Indy shop can do it for less.

That is at a good indy shop. I trust these guys a lot more than any stealership.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
$4500 is probably too much to spend on a 12 year old truck. Also sounds like a lot of money for a head replace. How much is a rebuilt long block?

The problem with the long block is you don't know if you have the latest version of the head. My shop says it has been revised 3X by GM. They are getting the latest version, and OEM. There are no aftermarket heads for this engine.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Are Colorados pure GM, or are they a Nissan truck in GM sheetmetal? I thought I had heard that.

They were a collaboration between GM and Isuzu.

If it was my truck I would fix it. 114K is really low miles and the rest of the truck is probably still in great shape. But be careful, if you drive with the misfire you'll probably ruin the catalytic converter and then that's even more expensive to fix. When they do the head job make sure it gets all new timing components.

Last edited:
Time for an LS/LQ swap!
smile.gif

Did you really expect GM to take care of a repair on a 12 year old vehicle? No car that I know of has a lifetime warranty.

And... it seems to me that GM did fix that problem... that head gasket lasted a long time. Head gaskets sometimes do last the life of the vehicle... but sometimes they don't.

Are you the original owner? If not... a lot of things can happen that can cause a head gasket to fail.

Stuff happens. What is the value of the truck? Is it worth fixing? That sure seems like a big bill for a head gasket. If you want to keep the truck, I would get another estimate or two.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: twoheeldrive
Did you really expect GM to take care of a repair on a 12 year old vehicle? No car that I know of has a lifetime warranty.

And... it seems to me that GM did fix that problem... that head gasket lasted a long time. Head gaskets sometimes do last the life of the vehicle... but sometimes they don't.

Are you the original owner? If not... a lot of things can happen that can cause a head gasket to fail.

Stuff happens. What is the value of the truck? Is it worth fixing? That sure seems like a big bill for a head gasket. If you want to keep the truck, I would get another estimate or two.

Good luck.

Can't people read anymore? Who said anything about a bad head gasket? Good grief.

I didn't catch if it was a 4 or 5-cyl, but it sounds a bit much to me. Four years ago I got stuck with a 20k mile 2005 Colorado with a blown 5-cyl that had a broken valve. Found a new (not rebuilt) surplus GM dressed crate motor on ebay for $2000 plus $100 for shipping. Had to replace the burned intake manifold for about $300. Total parts and labor including the engine (my mechanic with me assisting) was around $3k.
If a $4500 repair is your only option I would look at what you could get for the truck with the known malfunction and factor that in.
As to GM, never had a rear wheel drive V8 or V6 I didn't love. Never had a 4 or 5-cyl or front wheel drive I didn't hate.

GM really doesnt have a solid track record..they dont seem to take care of their customers either. Friend of mine has a 2011 Buick Regal with the 2.4. Not only did his engine need a rebuild, but the transmission went out as well. Pure junk. He has 126,000kms on his car too, like really? I think automakers need to stand by their products better. I dont blame you for being upset. We as customers must demand better as a collective. Not saying any major auto maker is better but trends are evident.

I would want a leak down test done to verify it 100%. The problem is when and engine with a known issue shows up its easy to condemn it for that problem without doing the basics, I see it quite often.

I just priced a GM head and head gasket set, it cost under 1K another 1K for labor should do it easily even adding a timing chain and related pieces will only push it up another $200. Find someone else, for 2K I would fix it if its a good otherwise.
If you know someone you may be able to get that head even cheaper.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.co/auto-parts/...cat/engine-scat

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would want a leak down test done to verify it 100%. The problem is when and engine with a known issue shows up its easy to condemn it for that problem without doing the basics, I see it quite often.

I just priced a GM head and head gasket set, it cost under 1K another 1K for labor should do it easily even adding a timing chain and related pieces will only push it up another $200. Find someone else, for 2K I would fix it if its a good otherwise.
If you know someone you may be able to get that head even cheaper.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.co/auto-parts/...cat/engine-scat

Given this head issue with the Colorado, I do not want a re-manufactured head.

This is the shop's diagnosis report. They didn't just look at the code and recommend a head....

Quote:
Scanned for codes and found:
P0300 Random Misfire detected
Checked misfire data screen and found misfire counts on every cylinder.
Cyl 1 170
Cyl 2 4 Cyl 3 4
Cyl 4 2 Cyl 5 3000
Cylinder 5 is dropping the hardest, but
did experience misfires on #1 during road test. The misfire only seems to
happen at idle and never under full load. This would typically rule out
ignition components.
Researched and found a TSB for faulty valve sealing causing issues. Performed
a relative compression test and noticed the pulls were uneven after a road test.
Pulled the #5 plug and did a cranking compression test with pressure
transducer. Found the compression tower was thinner on the right side,
indicating cylinder pressure leakage. Performed a running compression test and
the exhaust pocket is rounded and has less vacuum than before the compression
event. Both lower values should be the same. This indicates valve leakage. Max
compression cranking was 180 psi on cylinder #5. Checked cranking on #2 and
found 167 psi compression. This cylinder also shows leakage. The TSB does apply
and the cylinder head will require replacement due to leaking valves.

This falls in line with the TSB from Chevy.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Shop around and find a shop that can do it for a lot less than $4500

If not... trade it in for a newer truck.

Like any dealer would take it as is with a rough idle and a flashing CEL. I am debating on trading it in on a newer truck after it is fixed while I can get the most $$ for it, but I really don't need a car payment right now.

Honestly, I would rather pay the $4500 and know the repair was done right with a 30/30k warranty than save a few $$ now and be back here again later due to substandard work or cutting corners.

Last edited:
You have had 6 different replies telling you $4500 for replacing a head is too much money including a link to a rebuilt GM direct for about $1000 . There is no reason to not use a rebuild in a 12 year old truck with over 100,000 miles IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back