05 F150 Mcraft 5w20 blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an UOA I had done awhile ago. I found it interesting that Ford now recommends 5k OCI but looks like my truck will not make that mark. Let me know what you think.

Blackstone Report:
No problems showed up in the initial sample from this engine. All wear read right around averages after 3,783 miles use on the oil. Universal averages show typical wear from Ford's 5.4L V-8 engine after 5,600 miles use on the oil. Silicon was average at 10 ppm, showing no problems with the air filtration/induction system. The TBN read 2.2, showing some active additive left, but not a lot. 1.0 is too low. We like the oil use interval of ~3700 miles for the way this engine wears and suggest sticking with it for now.

Code:

2005 Ford F150 5.4L 3valve

OIL Motorcraft blend 5w20

Fliter: pure1

MILES IN USE 3783

MILES 23,050

SAMPLE TAKEN 4/27/07

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 22

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 43

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 215

SILICON 10

SODIUM 3

CALCIUM 1975

MAGNESIUM 30

PHOSPHORUS 704

ZINC 826

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 380

SUS VIS 210ºF 50.3

cSt @ 212ºF n/a

The oil was in use 3 to 4 months. I average around 1k miles per month in the truck.

what is the VOA for TBN on MC oil?
the sample looks ok except for the TBN, using the oil any longer and the sample will go south quickly from there.
Mineral oil isn't for every application like some claim!
here is a good example. The UOA was a good decision no it is time to make a change. More MC or look for a premium lubricant? hmmmm...

Lazaro, His truck has only 23,050, and MC showed better wear numbers that your last UOA. I don't see any problem with MC. MC can handle 5,000 miles without any problem.

I don't see an issue. Blackstone considers 1.0 the change point for TBN. The insolubles are great and the wear is in line for the engine age. There is no issue, other than that being a 2 year old example which of course is not the same as what you would pour into the crankcase today.
5k or 6 months no issue.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Lazaro, His truck has only 23,050, and MC showed better wear numbers that your last UOA. I don't see any problem with MC. MC can handle 5,000 miles without any problem.

dont tell me ask the OP to extend his drain and take another UOA to prove your point
35.gif

MC seems to be a good oil. The only thing that has me curious is the 09' F150 service schedule. I believe for regular service, they state 7500 miles. I think 5K is good for this engine/oil combo.

a couple of things.

That oil sample was fresh when sent in. I just didn't post on here until recently.

The sample was taken everything bone stock. No towing and probably very little hauling on that sample.

Short trips....yes. My drive to work is 12 miles and takes about 25 to 30 minutes. On average about once a month it gets on the highway for about 260 miles. I usually average 750 to 1000 miles per month. So at least 75% of mile are in town.

I was going to take another sample at about 4k miles on this change since the truck now has 47k miles on it. Howver I put a M-craft filter on this time instead of the pure one and I keep getting a start up rattle so I'm guessing the anti drain back valve is not working on this filter. So I'm going to have to atleast change filters and add more oil.

You are in the severe service mode my friend...tough days for lubricants. I hope that your new oil filter will get rid of that start up rattle you are currently experiencing.

This is another UOA showing relatively low TBN for MC 5W-20 with less than 4,000 miles. Would it make 5,000? Possibly - but that'd be cutting it close.

Originally Posted By: ws6guy
Howver I put a M-craft filter on this time instead of the pure one and I keep getting a start up rattle so I'm guessing the anti drain back valve is not working on this filter. So I'm going to have to atleast change filters and add more oil.

Huh. In my 99 4cyl Ford I has the same symptom after the oil gets around 1500 miles on it, using motorcraft, purlator or proline filters.

Losing faith in energy conserving dino oil.

Originally Posted By: ws6guy
Here's an UOA I had done awhile ago. I found it interesting that Ford now recommends 5k OCI but looks like my truck will not make that mark. Let me know what you think.

No, the new recommendation for normal service is 7500 miles.

The TBN looks a bit on the low side, but that isn't the only condemning factor, either.

It's possible that it will make it to 7500 miles. What are you driving conditions like?

I have an '05 F-150 5.4L as well, but it's just turning 16K miles. I have been testing some "other" oil (which will be run out to 7.5K) but would use the MC but for that. Yours has dropped TBN a little a faster than what I've got in my UOA database but it's certainly not alarming. And the rest of the stats are stellar! And as it was said above, it could be moving down very slowly at this point. Seems like it could make it to 5K... though it looks like you would be wringing everything out of the oil at that point (which is a good thing). I'm just dying to change my oil again but I've got 2K more to go. I will be getting back a 5K "in service" test on this oil very soon and will post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back