05-08 Ford Fusions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, anyone on here know much about them? My fiancee is thinking of selling her 2001 Eclipse with 150k miles on it to get a Ford Fusion. She's wanting to get the 4 cylinder model because that's the only one offered with a manual transmission. Are they known to be pretty reliable?

On the other hand, does anyone know much about the 6-speed automatics as far as reliability? I don't trust automatics these days. And what about the CVT transmissions? Are they actually reliable?

Well, 06 was the first year the Fusion was available.

I have an 06 manual. It's a great car and I've had it over two trouble-free years. I just got back from a trip to Atlanta and I got 31 mpg with the trunk full of luggage and four people. The reliability on the Fusion is well above average...I've had no issues with mine.

Based on the Mazda chassis and considered to be a great value. They're a pain to change oil but wonderful to drive.

Originally Posted By: mpersell
Based on the Mazda chassis and considered to be a great value. They're a pain to change oil but wonderful to drive.

HUH.... Which model?????

If you have the V-6 filter is right at the bottom. The I-4 you need a cup for the cartridge but hard it is not. Might have to take the covers off but not hard.

Actually the cartridge type has a center allen wrench drain plug to help prevent making a huge mess. Drain from there first. A motorcraft filter has both o-rings (housing drain plug and filter housing) to change them out and all is well.

I changed an 08 with a 4 cylinder. The bottom of the engine compartment is covered by a plastic shroud for aerodynamics.

Last edited:
It's a Mazda6 wearing Ford badges. Look at the exhaust the next time, they're identical for the V6 versions.

I have a 2006 Mercury Milan (basic same car as the fusion) with the 2.3 4cyl engine.
It has been a great car. No problems at all and it is about to roll 60,000 miles. Rides real nice and gets great fuel mileage.
In the summer I am get 34 to 37 MPG highway 60mph average.
It sees very limited town use so I can't comment on in town mileage.

I had one for a rental for a week and I liked it a lot. The gas mileage is not as good as my Acura but it doesn't use premium. That 6-speed auto really helps that 3.0L move.

I've had mine for almost 18 months. I really like it thus far. It's never been back to the dealer once (no recalls. no problems.) In summer, I get 30-31 MPG Highway, and 23-25 City mixed. I'm unsure what model you are interested in, but I wouldn't even look at an "S" model. When I bought mine, an SE was only $700 more than S, and you get a lot for that $700. You might have a hard time finding a manual SEL. If she can wait a few months, I'd wait for the '10 models. They should be out in Jan. They'll have the 2.5 (currently in the '09 Escapes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back