03 Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be buying it used with 30k miles. Has a 2.7L L4 DOHC 16V engine.

Is this a known sludge motor?

Thanks for knowledgeable replys Gents.

You can't break that engine without really trying, again and again.
banghead.gif
It is not prone to any oil problems. If you break it, please, tell us how you did it.

If I buy it, I'am planning to run Amsoil SJ-CF spec for at least 10K miles without a UOA. I'll change the NAPA Gold filter around every 5K miles.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Mine just turned over 127k miles. Only known problem is about 60 % develop a cold start knock, mine included. Started about 80k. On the tacoma forums there are some that have made the noise since 60k and are now past 200k miles, no problems, so I'm not worried. Love the truck.

Good info dri - thanks.

Test drove the truck today, runs and looks like brand new. Original adult seller never had it in the mud or abused it. Serviced religiously at a local Toyota stealership. Twin boys born 11 weeks ago forced the sale.

Asking price was $17.9K. Average book is $17.5K. I got it for $17K. Think I got me a nice little pick-up.

I think you will like this truck. My dad has an '05 or an 06 with the 2.7L 4 cyl. He is very pleased with it so far.

His previous truck was an '89 Toyota with the 3.0L v6 which he thought was smoother and more powerful. However, he thinks the 4 cyl engine is pretty close, and likes it just fine!

You will like your new-to-you Taco. I got a 2002 PreRunner with a little over 90,000 miles. Bought it new. Best truck I've ever had. Never had a problem with it - and I work my truck hard.

One other point, since this is Bitog....Toyota engines seem to do really well on almost any oil, but they seem to really enjoy M1.

quote:

Originally posted by dri:
Mine just turned over 127k miles. Only known problem is about 60 % develop a cold start knock, mine included. Started about 80k. On the tacoma forums there are some that have made the noise since 60k and are now past 200k miles, no problems, so I'm not worried. Love the truck.

I have an older Toyota truck I bought new. It started having a cold start knock in the winter around 80K many years ago. It can be better or worse with different brands of oil filters. What I eventually learned is it does not do it at all with a OEM Toyota Filters. My advice would be to use Toyota oil filters.

I'll keep the OEM filters in mind Hirve. Since I work part time at a NAPA store, I'am gonna feed it a NAPA gold filter for starters and see what happens.

The 2.7L four banger in it is said to be **** near bullet proof.

I wish it was that easy. Tried both the Denso made toyota filter (the foam looking one), and the Purolator made (paper pleated one), and it didn't change it. Same noise. But it just keeps on going. So, if it wants to make noise on it's way to 3 or 400k, and be happy, who am I to complain.

quote:

Originally posted by dri:
I wish it was that easy. Tried both the Denso made toyota filter (the foam looking one), and the Purolator made (paper pleated one), and it didn't change it. Same noise. But it just keeps on going. So, if it wants to make noise on it's way to 3 or 400k, and be happy, who am I to complain.

What oil are you running? Ive used denso one time fit filters and now amsoil eao filter with no engine knock on either. Maybe you need a thicker oil. Im running Amsoil Series 3K with no issues yet but will conferm with a UOA in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back