03 Subaru WRX Valvoline VR1 10/30 196K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tempted to just order some Redline 5w30. Its cheaper than rebuilding an engine. New WIX air filter was installed last night. Mobil 1 15w50 may be a bit thick don't you think?

Engine is dirty - Si and insols. are super high for the miles. It is causing wear on all parts in the engine.

You need to check the air filter carefully, and do some more short cleaning runs to get the grit out of the engine.

For an engine like this in summer, the new Rotella T6 15W-40 full-synthetic would be a great choice.

Originally Posted by TurboJW
I'm tempted to just order some Redline 5w30. Its cheaper than rebuilding an engine. New WIX air filter was installed last night. Mobil 1 15w50 may be a bit thick don't you think?

Is this a stock airbox? Make sure that it is closed properly as the stock airbox can be tricky.

Any mods? What are the driving conditions?

Originally Posted by bluesubie

Is this a stock airbox? Make sure that it is closed properly as the stock airbox can be tricky.

Only mods are an Invidia Cat back exhaust. Stock airbox and filter. It was closed properly. Driving conditions are mostly street, sometimes short trips, he likes to drive it like a rally car when the opportunity presents itself. Autocross is once month. I really think the previous owner was lax on his maintenance as the overall condition of the car shows.

Originally Posted by bluesubie

Only mods are an Invidia Cat back exhaust. Stock airbox and filter. It was closed properly. Driving conditions are mostly street, sometimes short trips, he likes to drive it like a rally car when the opportunity presents itself. Autocross is once month. I really think the previous owner was lax on his maintenance as the overall condition of the car shows.

EJ uoa's can be a bit hard to decipher. Blackstone can tell you that they have seen EJ25's that have had bearing failures with silver as low as 6-9 ppm's (after Subaru went with silver in bearings). OTOH, some lead a long healthy life with continually elevated silver/aluminum. I wonder if the ZDDP levels in VR1 are too excessive?

I would do 2-3 more uoa's, and if you're still concerned, contact Dyson Analysis for an interpretation. He has a lot of experience with EJ25's, and I presume with EJ20's.

A buddy of mine still has a 2003 WRX that he bought new and he's also lax with maintenance. When I ask him when he last changed his oil, his response is usually that he doesn't remember.
lol.gif
Guys like him are the ones that don't have any problems, and guys like me have turbo failures and burnt exhaust valves (common with my MY).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back