03 Saturn Ion tranny troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need advice..
google searches have yielded very little...

03 Saturn Ion-1, has the CVT automatic, only 47k on it. My Mom drives it only 7000 miles a year, if that. 2.2L ecotec, engine's good, tranny no longer is.

MIL light came on, codes are:
P0700 -- Transaxle Control System Malfunction
P0842 -- Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low

CVT fluid was changed 2years ago by dealership. so in essense, only 15k on this changed fluid.

Everything I've read is pointing to a hefty repair, more than what I would want to tackle.
kbb.com rates the car at $3900 for private party sale, but with the bad tranny, it's worth nothing. A used tranny & labor is like $5000. it'd be better if someone broke in and destroyed it for the insurance!

The car still drives, you can't feel any slippage or any drivetrain noise.
(I only drove it around the block though).

From what I read, there could be a seal leak now allowing enough fluid pressure and something about the case. I can't find what I'm looking for in the diagrams.

So I'm wondering.. should I add ATP's Re-Seal in and see what happens?
Would lubegard Red be compatible with the CVT fluids??

I was thinking of doing a pan drop and putting Redline in thinking something might be gunked up. The motor does get warmed up, my Mom drives around town for a 2-3 days then stays at home doing her stuff the rest of the time.

I'm hoping to try and doctor this up with an additive and see what happens. Otherwise, she's gonna have to get another car which I know would just be a nightmare for her since she isn't big on decisions. Today's cars are to "sophisticated" for her.
Her Ion has manual windows and no frills. she didn't even want the remote control for the power locks!

+1 on the auto switchout, but this is something ambitious to do. Better to sell the car for $1200.
frown.gif

See if there is a Community College around that teaches Auto Shop...

AKA Vo Tec school...

They have done work for me, you buy the parts, they teach the kids....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back