Need help with Mom's Mercury GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom took the car in for an oil change and, of course, they inspected the car for her. It's a 2002 Grand Marquis with maybe 20,000 miles on it.

Item 1, they claim the crankshaft sensor is having problems. I'm no mechanic, and I suppose they scanned the vehicle and it's out of spec, but I was under the impression that the crank sensor either worked or didn't, and if it didn't, the car just didn't run. She says there are no drivability issues and the CEL isn't lit, so this one baffles me.

Item 2, they recommend replacing the front shocks. Not sure why, and why just the fronts. The tires aren't wearing abnormally and she hasn't complained about a rough or bouncy ride.

Item 3, transmission pan gasket and the tail-shaft seal are supposedly leaking. She says there are no spots on the garage floor but they showed her seepage on the transmission. I'm not sure if she had the transmission fluid changed yet, so if not, I'm puzzled why the gasket would start to leak. The tailshaft seal, ok, maybe on this one since it's a moving part.

Opinions?

Thanks.

All crockery.

The rear shocks, at least the LR one, are a hassle to change out. So they're lazy and only want to do the fronts. Heavy car like this should get/need all 4 at once.

Seals weep, it's what keep them lubricated. The tranny output shaft can and should be a little damp.

You are right about the crank sensor. Works or it doesn't.

Yeah that all sounds like a bunch of bull to me.. If no leaks, no check engine light and no crazy bouncing like a shock is bad.. I'd say don't worry about any of it.

+1 on it being crockery.

At only 20,000 miles it shouldn't have any bad shocks.
Crankshaft position sensor either works or doesn't.
Transmission pan seepage could just be a loose bolt(s).

Many shops see women, and especially older women, as marks because they generally know less about cars and can be more easily frightened into having unnecessary work performed.

You're a good son for questioning this...
55.gif

Originally Posted By: opus1
Item 1, they claim the crankshaft sensor is having problems. I'm no mechanic, and I suppose they scanned the vehicle and it's out of spec, but I was under the impression that the crank sensor either worked or didn't, and if it didn't, the car just didn't run. She says there are no drivability issues and the CEL isn't lit, so this one baffles me.

The crank sensors can be intermittent, and the work they do is partially "checked" by the cam position sensor if the car has one, so the engine will usually continue to run with an intermittent sensor. When I've seen these things act up, it usually shows up as stalling at idle or when letting off the throttle. You can probably change this sensor yourself, if you are so inclined. Motorcraft part DY922 crank position sensor is $28 at Rock Auto.

Can you do the bounce test on the front end to check the shocks?

Agree with above. A crank sensor, on that vehicle, doesn't usually code (if ever), and either works or doesn't. The only faulty crank sensors I have run across on that model are ones that develop a leak and let engine oil through to the connector and cause an open circuit.

Shocks are really subjective. To a front end tech, they might need replacing, but to anyone else, they aren't a problem.

Never have run into trans leaks on any AODE/4R70W. The only leaks I have seen are due to bashing the trans pan on road debris.

Sounds like a bunch of techs, in winter. at a slow shop, trying to get money to buy presents for family. I have seen it myself.

Last edited:
Don't "fix" any of that stuff... as they sound like they are all working just fine. Those cars are excellent and should run forever as long as you take care of them!

That is a gem of a car...8 years old and 20,000 miles.

Enjoy it and don't listen to them!
Suggestion to have the oil changed somewhere else?

Thanks for the input, especially with how quickly it came.
thumbsup2.gif

This was a stealership, and they've been pretty good in the past so this is disappointing. And we have to give credit to Mom for saying "hey, wait a minute, I need to talk to someone about this." I can't take all the credit for questioning this.
grin2.gif

I'm heading over for the weekend, so I'll do the bounce test, but like the rest of you, with only 20,000 miles, I seriously doubt the shocks are worn. I'll also see what I can see with the rest of the stuff, and will have to talk to her again about letting me change the oil for her next time. Dad used to do this for her, but she's been going to the dealer since he passed on. Not sure why she's resisting since she's seen me change the oil on my fleet, and all of my equipment to do the work is over there, but I guess she wants someone with a more mechanical background to look at the car now and then....

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: opus1

This was a stealership, and they've been pretty good in the past so this is disappointing. And we have to give credit to Mom for saying "hey, wait a minute, I need to talk to someone about this." I can't take all the credit for questioning this.
grin2.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
11.gif

Last year my Ford Dealership turned into a Ford Stearlership...I now go to a independent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back