03 Ram Heater hose question

This may sound like a stupid question and I am a bit embarrassed to ask but does anyone know what the barbed connectors are made of that join the upper and lower sections of the heater hoses on the 03 5.7l Ram trucks. I am getting ready to do a coolant system flush and gathering all the parts to also replace all the hoses as they are all factory original and 17 years old. No one sells the complete assembly anymore so I have to get the molded upper lines and 2 90 deg bend lowers where it connects to the engine and there are couplers there. I dont know if HOAT will react with certain materials. I have found Aluminium, brass and plastic but I can not tell whats in there until I disassemble and would like to have replacements handy mostly incase they are plastic and break while trying to get the hoses off.

Cut old hose off instead of taking a chance. Those fittings are tough but since you are replacing hoses cut old ones off at fittings.

Thanks Guys, that helps tremendously. I dont know why I did not think of cutting them off but thats what I will do. I was worried about damaging something like the bypass tube or heater core nipples and creating a hugh mess for myself and this will help there also.

Now that my hands have healed up from this job I thought I would report back that mine ended up being brass and in great shape. I was glad I had not spent the money for new ones. I also realized how much I need to get a set of spring clip pliers. Those buggers up against the firewall that you cant see with your hands in the way tore me up.

Back