Bleeding cooling system

Duralast (motorad) thermostat didn't open in the water until 200F, and didn't fully open until boiling so I pulled it and ran with no thermostat, same thing, WHAT THE ??? I even took the slack off the serpentine belt and tried to see if there was any play with the water pump pulley, nothing, solid as can be. This has to be the water pump or coolant temp sensor, engine temp sensor whatever it is right? I can recreate this issue much quicker by turning the AC on full blast while driving at 4k to 6k RPMs for a couple minutes...that might seem harsh but really it shouldn't get 3/4 on the gauge from just that, something is up.

I'm going to order one of those no-spill funnels, install the new oem thermostat and run it with the funnel in for 45 minutes...if that doesn't do it then there's literally nothing else but the pump, or some temp sensor.

Is that the 2GRFE engine? If so there is a very detailed bleeding sequence available on youtube. It in involves some very specific directions to get the air out.

Is that the 2GRFE engine? If so there is a very detailed bleeding sequence available on youtube. It in involves some very specific directions to get the air out.
2GR-FSE, can't be too much different. I ordered a new oem water pump too, and one of those spill proof funnels for bleeding air, I am determined to solve this lol. I watched the video of the mexican mechanic guy doing it with clear tubing going back into the funnel but I don't think this engine has that bleeder valve

2GR-FSE, can't be too much different. I ordered a new oem water pump too, and one of those spill proof funnels for bleeding air, I am determined to solve this lol. I watched the video of the mexican mechanic guy doing it with clear tubing going back into the funnel but I don't think this engine has that bleeder valve
Yeah, that’s the video I was thinking of! Too bad it’s not the same, but consider yourself lucky - that looks like a tough engine to bleed - and it just so happens I have that engine (but I’m a good year away from having to do it).

Good luck, those spill proof funnels work great.

Changed the water pump, did the spill proof funnel... turns out the real culprit was the fins of the radiator clogged up...oh well, water pump and thermostat were probably due anyways. $89 for pump $40 for t-stat and $40 for 2 gallons of PEAK Asian Red Coolant...better than the $1800 for the pump and $300 for the thermostat the shop wanted to charge.

Hopefully good for another 192k....

Attachments

• rad1.jpg
    rad1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 18
  • rad2.jpg
    rad2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 17
  • cleanrad.jpg
    cleanrad.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 16
  • enginebay.jpg