03 f150, 5.4l

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to add a little more info. Annual mileage, typical driving conditions/trip length ..etc. I would think that most of the recommendations will be a 5w-30 ..then brand (synth or dino) will vary quite a bit depending on the added info ..or so I imagine.

annual mileage is 15k, driving conditions are 70%city/ 30% highway.....im looking at 10 to 15k oci's.........im using lube control also.....

I would assume 10-15k mile OCI's would require UOA's.

If it were mine, 6 month OCI's with M1 5-20 or GC 0-30 w/ MoCraft filter.

Sort of on the same topic, I have a '04 that calls for 5W20 and I just bit on the Trop Artic semisyn 10w30 deal at Dollar Tree. I have 4000 miles on the truck and drive 75 mile round trip to work. Currently the weather is hotter than Ester's pet goat. Any problem with using the 10W30? And another question, does the filter have more bearing on startup engine clatter than oil? Seems to me if the oil pressure spikes at start up and the filter takes the hit, the oil (unless frozen stiff) doesn't have much effect.

quote:

Originally posted by crimsontide:
is GC to thick?

No. I've run 5w40 in my Modular 4.6 in my F150 with slightly (emphasis on the slight!!!) better wear results than using 5w20 or 5w30. The fuel mileage penalty was severe however (5+ %).

If you are going to use LC then why not just add it to MC 5W30 or 5W20? There are a lot of UOAs on this engine with the MC synthetic blends that showed good results. I don't know if you could get MC out to 10K with LC, but you should be able to get 6 months or 7-8K miles.

Someone posted a 10K mile UOA with a smaller Ford engine using Havoline dino and LC. I don't believe that these 5.4L engines are hard on oil at all, provided that it is getting good clean air and is ventilating properly (PCV valve).

I am switching my wife's 5.4L Expedition over to M1 10W30 after I complete the 2nd ARx cycle. I have had M1 10W30 in it before and the engine ran well with it. It consumed some oil because I had a bad PCV valve but that shouldn't be a problem with your newer engine.

I HAVE THE SAME TRUCK...15K MI,I USE M1 5W30 WITH MOTORCRAFT FL820S FILTER,RUNS GREAT !!!
patriot.gif

k........what would be a better option.....GC.....M1 5W20 or M1 5W20 w/ a quart or 2 or redline 5w20 or just plain redline 5w20.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back