03 Chevy Malibu known issues? other models issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Muskieteer
If i were you i would look for a used Toyota, Honda or Hyundai they can take a lot of miles and have a better track record. The most bang for the buck would be a Hyundai.

I have had mutliple american 4 cyls that were used as commuters and held up just as well as the toyotas I have owned. I currently have a Focus 01 which is getting 30k a year on it. No oil consumption, and gets 32 with my heavy foot, if the woman drives it 35-36 mpg.

The malibu is a good car, and I agree to look for a 4cyl gas will go up.

Any modern car in good condition, that has been maintained will last you.

Well as an owner of both a 01 Taurus and 04 Malibu I can tell you the taurus is a better car but I know it uses a little more gas.Never done an actual mileage check on the Taurus.
My college student son is the driver and he drives a lot of hgwy. He has used our Malibu for a few trips and always comments on the big difference in gas used.

Originally Posted By: cchase
My conclusion was based on weight (the Taurus weighs about 300-400 lbs more than the Malibu) more than anything else.

Good point; I didn't realize the Malibu was that much lighter.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Because of the gas crunch I set the cruise right at 65 and was getting passed the whole way. Pulled 27 MPG. Car had 15k on it and a dirty champ oil filter, so it was broken in and maintained.

Tire pressure?

The last Taurus I drove was a loaner from the dealer with all 4 tires at 15PSI. I returned it with 35PSI in all 4 tires.

It was perfect! I still remember it had Continental tires. I couldn't make them squeal doing a corner at 40 that my own cars don't like at 30.

Those taurii really hold the road! Mine was a rental if I didn't make that clear. And I filled the tank before the trip, so it's not a case of "I got a rental with 50 miles on the tank but the needle was still at F".

The Chevy Impala was rated at 32 highway with the 3.4. I have an 04 and it has done 34 mpg with cruise set at 67 mph. To and from work I get 27-28 consistently. Worst mpg ever was 24.

Originally Posted By: kelpie
The Chevy Impala was rated at 32 highway with the 3.4. I have an 04 and it has done 34 mpg with cruise set at 67 mph.

That's been my experience too. We have an '02 with that engine.

Up until last April, I had a '99 Malibu with the 3.1 engine. On the highway, it could easily pull the low 30's for MPG, and my best tank on the highway was over 34mpg (something like 34.3 or something like that). This was open-road highway, doing 65-70mph. I didn't commute on the highway, so I can't say what rush-hour type driving on the highway will bring.

Around town commuting, though, it was a bit of a pig.

The car was trouble-free up until about 7 years of age, and even then, it wasn't too outrageous, but I started to have electrical issues with it and was going to be on the road a lot last summer, plus I got a killer deal on the Sontata so we parted ways. I do miss the car, though. Problems: I hit the dreaded LIM problem, had the water pump go out, and one power window regulator bit the dust, along with an alternator.

Last edited:
Thanks ...

what is the GM equivalent of the Chevy Malibu and Implala across their other brands? ( eg; Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac GMC etc) ?

It depends on the year but I'm going to assume ~'97-05 range.

The Malibu is an N-car so Oldsmobile Cutlass and Alero, Pontiac Grand Am. The Grand Am and Alero are mechanically similar to the Malibu but aren't as roomy in interior width.

The Impala is a W-car and it gets a little more complicated but mostly Grand Prix but also Buick Lacrosse, Olds Intrigue, and Buick Centry and Regal are also considered W-cars.

I just checked my gas mileage today and it was 30mpg in the Impala 3.4 (2004). That's mostly highway with some stop and go mixed in (I would say 75/25%). My Impala has been trouble free except for an instrument cluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back