03 Chevy Malibu known issues? other models issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a used car to get me through about 2 or 3 years of long commutes, and big enough for occasionally the wife and a baby and a 6 year old ( when not using the other new car).

I would love to get a used Honda, but it seems like a used Chevy Malibu is a LOT cheaper and since I only need it for 2 or 3 years it will be good enough. Not sure if a Malibu is big enough.

Anyway, any known reliability problems with a 2003 or 2004 Malibu? Intake gaskets, radiators, dex-cool issues, transmissions?

How about the same year Impala. I like the Impala a lot more than the Malibu, but fear they are not as good on gas.

I looked on Fuelly dot com and it seems like they get 25 MPG most of the time so that is a big plus.

Anybody have any other good suggestions let me know please.

Look for an Ecotec-power 4-cylinder Malibu. Very reliable and will be good on gas. The 3.4 V-6 have too many problems with intake-manifold gaskets that can trash the engine in short order.

As someone who commutes long distances 25 MPG is not enough.

Don't cheap out on buying a vehicle and then spending quite a bit more for fuel.

20k miles a year (light usage) 25mpg will cost you $9600 @ $4 a gallon. 40mpg will cost you $6860 so $2740 per YEAR times 3 years is over $8000 difference.

Spend the extra $2-3k now and save down the road.

Plus you'll find the vehicles that get 40mpg will be easier to maintain since they are lighter and most of the time simpler.

Take care, Bill

Bill,

What if the OP doesn't HAVE the extra $2-$3k now? Sometimes, spreading out the extra cost on fuel over the year is a better option.

But besides that, an Ecotec 4-cylinder Malibu, in only highway driving, should get better than 25mpg, shouldn't it? I'd guess closer to 30-32mpg.....

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

20k miles a year (light usage) 25mpg will cost you $9600 @ $4 a gallon. 40mpg will cost you $6860 so $2740 per YEAR times 3 years is over $8000 difference.

25 mpg @ $4 gas equals $9600 over 3 years.
40 mpg equals $6000 over 3 years.

So $3600 in savings.

Thanks guys,

I don't have the extra 2 - 3k right now, thats why I mentioned those year cars, and those specific cars.

I don't think there was an echotec option back then.

the mileage I'm looking at is more like 15 k per year

just looking for issues with those model cars and years

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Bill,

What if the OP doesn't HAVE the extra $2-$3k now? Sometimes, spreading out the extra cost on fuel over the year is a better option.

But besides that, an Ecotec 4-cylinder Malibu, in only highway driving, should get better than 25mpg, shouldn't it? I'd guess closer to 30-32mpg.....

Then WAIT and save up the difference. Buying something that does not get close to 40mpg for a commuter is not what I'd suggest.

Spending the money on fuel (which we hope stays at the levels we are seeing today (which I doubt)) where as you can spend it on something known (a vehicle that gets 40mpg vs 30 mpg) is the better choice.

Remember my numbers are based on only 20k a year. If you drive more the savings are greater. (or money spent is LARGER)

I'll stand by my post.

Bill

If i were you i would look for a used Toyota, Honda or Hyundai they can take a lot of miles and have a better track record. The most bang for the buck would be a Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

25 mpg @ $4 gas equals $9600 over 3 years.
40 mpg equals $6000 over 3 years.

So $3600 in savings.
So even more! (looking at my numbers looks like I used 35 mpg for the high number)

Long night I guess. Thanks for the correction..
cheers3.gif
(and I'm going back to bed for more sleep
grin2.gif
)

Okay Bill thanks for all the great advice

What cars get close to 40 MPG, and can fit in the kids / wife?

NOT Toyota/Honda I already know about those....If the money was there it would be what I buy, no thought process involved, no need for me to start this thread.

About 15k - 18 k per year

The Pontiac Grand Am of those years has the Ecotec, as does the Oldsmobile Alero. Both of those are the same body as the Malibu.

The only issues I know of with the 97-03 Malibu have to do with the HVAC control panel. Sometimes the buttons are intermittent. It's easy enough to replace.

I save about $130 - $140 a month commuting in my wife's '04 Malibu Maxx instead of my truck. We've had some issues that we sued GM over and won, but we kept the car. We had a few things replaced under warranty, but the last few years have been pretty good (knock on wood). I get about 26-27 during my 35-40 minute commute and we get over 30 on long trips (during the summer she'll get 32-34).
I drive very conservatively. The 3.5L LX9 is not known for the intake gasket issues and seems to be holding up well. If you are looking for a '02/'03 'Bu, I concur in finding one with the Ecotech. I am not a fan of the 3.4L.

Ultimately, if you were able to scrape the extra coin, I think a Toyota or Honda would be a better choice.

I don't think the 02/03 Malibus came with a 4 cylinder option, only the 3.1 V6.

Other than LIM gasket and blower motor/HVAC issues, they are pretty reliable cars.

I've read here on the forum that Crown Victorias get 30 MPG on the highway. Might want to look there instead.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
Okay Bill thanks for all the great advice

What cars get close to 40 MPG, and can fit in the kids / wife?

NOT Toyota/Honda I already know about those....If the money was there it would be what I buy, no thought process involved, no need for me to start this thread.

About 15k - 18 k per year

15 to 18k per year then save up the $$ and get what will work. My main point is spending (not saving) on a 25-30 mpg vehicle will cost you in the end QUITE a bit more in fuel. If buying another vehicle the main reason is to save $$ then buy something that will do that even if it costs more.

The Hyundai offerings do knock off close to 40 mpg and resale is lower than the Toyota/Hondas. Since we can not have simple diesel engines
frown.gif
most of the high MPG vehicles are not going to carry everything plus people. I've gone for long trips with 5 in my Corolla and we made it just fine going 80mph and getting well over 40mpg. (and I'm over 6ft 5inches / 300lb alone)

Drive what you have and save up for something that will meet the mission. Lucky for you 15-18k is not a lot of miles (though still cost a lot in fuel no matter what we drive) so savings is not as great compared to high miles driven.

Take care, bill

The 2003 and 2004 Malibu are totally different cars,it was redesigned for 2004, ours is an 04 with the 3.5 engine. we get 30+mpg hwy.
This car will probably last a long time as far as engine and trans but we have had tons of electrical issues. The electric steering goes out on these and most have special extended warranty to replace the column, ours was done under warranty.
we have had issues with : trunk release,cruise control,brake lights, dome lights , turn signals, the bcm was replaced already as a fix for some of these issues. Right now the gas gauge is broken . We have a grand total of 66,000 miles at this point!

I consider both Hyundai and KIA real sleepers when shopping for a used vehicle.

The 60,000 miles warranty is transferable which is another +.

I would look on the internet and do your homework + check out the following web site for some info.

Link to web page.

If buying from a dealer I find that it always better buying a used vehicle from a new car dealer.

If you look on fueleconomy.gov you can see what engines were certified for what years. IIRC they sold a malibu "classic" with the ecotec that they didn't really advertise.

An elantra would probably do you well, but the automatics are slugs. They carefully controlled the content/luxury level in early 2000 model years, IMO, "just enough".

My BIL has an 03 ish malibu and needed one wheel bearing in two years of ownership. These cars are everywhere and the lack of love might help lower their resale values adequately. And you can always trade if the MPG doesn't suit you for your driving style. They should do okay-ish on the highway with their small-ish frontal area.

It's too bad that small diesels are so rare. Back in the 1980's I was commuting 35 miles each way to grad school four days a week. I bought a used VW Rabbit Diesel and drove it for the full four years. Sure was cheap to run.

I have a 2006 Elantra that I acquired just over a year ago. I'm actually surprised at how well it's done so far and how likeable a car it has become.

I usually get 32-34 MPG on the highway, and the only real maintenance I've done is the timing belt and brakes. Other than that it's just been oil changes. I'll need to change the transmission fluid this summer, when it turns over to 100K miles (it was done at 30K and 70K).

It's been completely dependable even in sub-zero weather, gets around well in the snow, and has decent room inside even for my 6'4" frame. The seats are reasonably comfortable and for a small car it has reasonable back seat room. At 5 years old there are no rattles or buzzes and it still drives and shifts solidly. On even the coldest days the heater is pumping out warm air within 2 miles of driving, and the few times I've used it the AC seems very cold and works well.

It’s not terribly fast, but then it’s not a sports or performance vehicle carrying a sports or performance price premium. It’s turned out to be a good, solid appliance type commuter car.

They are fairly inexpensive and insurance is very cheap-for me it's about $300/year for insurance (no collision).

I acquired mine through a repossession (I had co-signed for someone who decided not to make payments after a couple years) so I only paid around $3500 to pay it off when I repossessed it. With the timing belt and brakes I have about $4200 into it.

Originally I planned to sell it and recoup my investment, but after driving it for a while I grew to like the car. After driving it for the last year I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one, even at regular retail prices.

An Elantra of that vintage is one you might also consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back