01 S4 for $5 why shouldn't I buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chrisfromalbany
In current state I say I sell car for over $4K pretty easily. Whether that is a good price I dunno, but I am pretty sure I get money out of car currently. Even not running with body and current condition I get over 2.5K.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but I think those are extremely optimistic prices. Audi or not, this is a nearly 12 year old car with a bad trans (yes, you need to assume it is bad). As it sits $2K might be too much for it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
GHT principle means "give the answer that the questioner is determined to get because he already has the answer and your telling contrary is not going to change his behavior at all"

So if you want your advise adhered to, give the advice that is being sought.

Yup he's predisposed to buy the thing and looking for validation.

Sometimes in life we feel we aren't challenged enough and are looking for something else. He must be getting this bug.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Not trying to burst your bubble, but I think those are extremely optimistic prices. Audi or not, this is a nearly 12 year old car with a bad trans (yes, you need to assume it is bad). As it sits $2K might be too much for it.

This. Not to mention, those year Audis are known to have problems. Around here I've seen them sit on Craigslist for months even when the price lowers dramatically. An Audi is not a good used car to buy due to the complicated electrical systems and drivetrains. They are VERY expensive to fix, and most people buy Audis and keep them for a few years or lease them. Most German cars are this way. My dad is finding that out with his '09 M-Benz GL-450. It is approaching 90k miles and the repair costs are becoming ridiculous.

This car WILL be a money pit, and I'd hate to see you get stuck with it.

Originally Posted By: Chrisfromalbany
Originally Posted By: vaboom123
I'd be worried with the cost of ownership. I really love the b5s4, but they can be super expensive to maintain. Just the suspension maintenance can get expensive quick. Even ones that are cared for break. There are some with a lower cost of ownership, but thats on the rare side. Its a real love/hate relationship.

Thanks, this is more in line with comments I hoping to get, more warnings or weakness of the vehicle.

As people comments about whether I do or don't get the car, I haven't decided yet. Any additional educational posting I will take into consideration. If car were be money pit I would cuts loses and sell vehicle in whatever state it is in. I never marry a car. In current state I say I sell car for over $4K pretty easily. Whether that is a good price I dunno, but I am pretty sure I get money out of car currently. Even not running with body and current condition I get over 2.5K. In this aspect I believe I have limited expose to a loss. Inherently this car is a risk or gamble.

No problem. Also looked out for worn out gauge clusters (dead pixels). I believe there's places that you can ship them out and have them fixed if you want to. Also the main ABS valve/control is a common failure point. It can also be removed and sent out to get serviced.

In the ad it seems like the oem turbos were repaired. The motor has to be removed from the car to pull the turbos. It's kind of odd the owner stuck with the not-so-reliable KO3's and didn't upgraded to the KO4's/and fueling. That's a big failure point on these cars. Most never let the car idle down before shutting it off and kill the turbos. Like many will say they really over engineered these things which leads to problems and dumb stuff failing.

Also make sure good quality timing components were used. I'd hate to see something let go with a cheap part. I've seen some cheap out on a water pump only to have it cause issues in 3k miles. All the work to pull the front end apart again wouldn't be something I'd want to do.

They also like to chew up wheel bearings and control arms. At least it looks to be at stock ride height.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Vikas
GHT principle means "give the answer that the questioner is determined to get because he already has the answer and your telling contrary is not going to change his behavior at all"

So if you want your advise adhered to, give the advice that is being sought.

Yup he's predisposed to buy the thing and looking for validation.

Sometimes in life we feel we aren't challenged enough and are looking for something else. He must be getting this bug.

tumblr_m1xl53dQa01rrty8to1_500.gif

As to the car.. This is me "Not taking advice" or whatever I am now legacious for..

liftright1_zps1687e1b0.jpg

?

Idling down has noting to do with the longevity of the K03's. They are doomed no matter what just because of being pushing to the absolute limit, couple in a high heat environment/cramped engine bay. They will go no matter how much babying one my give them.

Audi knew that and even with the after run pump it still wouldn't matter. K04's not being pushed to their absolute limit had a happier life, why they weren't swapped in is anyone's guess.

^ I learn something every day. Didn't know the KO3's were that bad. I had a few buddies actually have good luck with them on their b5s4's that were modded haha. Must've been really lucky and they were high mileage cars.

when I posted questions in the Audi forum.. Audi forum.. don't seem to like the B5 S4's .. and suggested looking into B6 because engine is just problematic

Last edited:
In stock form, the KO3s are not problematic. At stock level, they produce ~9psi of boost which is roughly half of their rated maximum.

Now, if you go stage 1 and push the boost to 16-17psi then you may encounter some problems. One solution is to gut the precats in the down pipes to get the hot exhaust out of the turbo housing faster, reducing temps.

Another solution is to keep your foot out of the gas, but what fun would that be?

Originally Posted By: vaboom123
It's not fun to work on either. That 4.2 v8 sounds like a beast with a nice exhaust on the B6
smile.gif

Once ppl from Audi forum said car was trouble I lost interest quick..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back