01 Explorer key&remote programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend just bought a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT and received 1 key and 1 remote.

off ebay I bought a keyblank and keyfob so I could get another set working.

Well the auction was fine, but the guy who sold the keyblank and keyfob was mistaken.
2 keys (for some weird reason) are required.

Is there a process I can do to make this work with 1 key, aside from going to the dealer?

you have to program with a scan tool. some locksmiths have it, and some independents can access the PATS. Ford the remote you just cycle the key 8 times to enter programming.

If you know a tech at a dealer talk to them about it. They may be able to help you out with your situation.

The dealer is going to charge you a lot and say that they cant do it with a key they didn't sell you.

If you walk into a hardware store and ask for it to be cut, they're going to tell you it will set off the ignition immobilizer, destroy your engine, transmission, kill your entire family and enslave everyone in your city, then they will chase you out with semiautomatic assualt rifles and shotguns.

My walmart now has a scanner to scan the frequency of your key then duplicate it on a new key. Worked fine for my 2005 Focus. IIRC it was $60. The key fob can be programmed by yourself (at least on my 2005 Focus). Instructions are available on the I-net.

Last edited:
I programmed (by myself) a chip key for my 2001 Jeep and it did need 2 keys. I assume this prevents a valet or mechanic making a copy. But this was a Chrysler and not a Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back