00 Mazda Protege recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

alc

Hello! Lurked about for some time, and finally registered
smile.gif

Wondering what oil would be recommended for a 2000 Mazda Protege 1.6l with a bit over 200K on the clock. I live in northern Minnesota so winters can get harsh and cold, and I wanted to get something that will protect the old girl a bit better. The only issue I have is that the valve seals seem to be getting a bit worn and it puffs a bit of blue at first start.

Thanks so much!

What OCI and oil/filter have you been running thus far? And what kind of commute to do you have?

Hey neighbor.
smile.gif

You'll get better cold-flow properties with a full synthetic. You do have lots of miles on her, so if you're using or leaking a bit, you may want to go to a high mileage oil for added protection. Our hi-mile Toyota sees Maxlife, but now switched to QS Defy. It leaks a lot less.

On our '99 Protege w/1.6 litre engine (only 85K miles), I've used Valvoline Synthetic 5w-30 w/Pure One filters. Since the car doesn't get driven that much, 1yr. OCI's. The filter is in a somewhat bad location and the sump is small. I'll keep on using Valvoline. This is a great little car! I only wish the 1.6 version had the larger brake rotors which came w/the 1.8 model.

I have a very short daily commute. Less than a mile to and from. I change the oil about every 4k. I'm currently using maxlife 5w30, but after reading the main site, I was questioning weather I should run a 0w with the extreme cold. The car doesn't leak oil at all. Last oil change was becoming of December and its rock solid at the full mark still.

I know the car calls for a 10w30, but again the oil university got my mind spinning
smile.gif

I'd stay w/ what works well. Keep using the 5w-30 Maxlife. (I did not realize the engine calls for 10w-30? I'm pretty sure in my owner's manual, 5w-30 is the rec'd viscousity.

Originally Posted By: alc
I have a very short daily commute. Less than a mile to and from. I change the oil about every 4k. I'm currently using maxlife 5w30, but after reading the main site, I was questioning weather I should run a 0w with the extreme cold. The car doesn't leak oil at all. Last oil change was becoming of December and its rock solid at the full mark still.
I know the car calls for a 10w30, but again the oil university got my mind spinning
smile.gif

First welcome to BITOG!
Yes you could use a 0W-30 in the winter.
M1 0W-30 is about the only suitable 0W-30 choice or even Pennzoil Platnium 5W-30 which is actually lighter at all but extreme cold temp's. Of course you can use these oils year round.

If you are doing short trips at 1yr/4k oci's I would run the 0w30 m1 offers to minimize the extra wear from not really getting the sump up to temp each day.

I believe that your motor was back spec'd by Mazda to run 5w20, I can't find the TSB right now, but I would look into it because that would net you better MPG and even less wear on your super short commute if you grab m1's 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Brenden

I believe that your motor was back spec'd by Mazda to run 5w20, I can't find the TSB right now, but I would look into it because that would net you better MPG and even less wear on your super short commute if you grab m1's 0w20.

If your Mazda has been back spec'd then indeed run a 0W-20.
The lightest on start-up is the Toyota 0W-20. Mazda'a own 0W-20 (made by Idemitsu) is also a good choice in the SM format.

You have reached 200k and you want to change???Why?? Because of what you have read here?? Ok IMHO do something else like if it works etc.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
If you are doing short trips at 1yr/4k oci's I would run the 0w30 m1 offers to minimize the extra wear from not really getting the sump up to temp each day.

I believe it was not included in the back-spec and Mazda still calls for 10w30 over 98*F.

Your current MaxLife 5w30 sounds like a good fit. I'd agree with the majority, keep using what has worked. In your climate, a high-mileage 5w30 sounds perfect.

I've had very good luck with Castrol GTX High Mileage 5w30 and 10w30 in my 2001 Mazda 626.

Before i bought my 626, I had a 2000 Protege LX with the 1.6. I loved the car with one exception. I hated the plastic dip-stick Mazda used!

Even if it has not been back spec'd to 20wt oil, he would be better off using it if his commute is a mere 2 miles in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back