!echo! RL 10W/30 57K on engine 6940 on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
First payload of RL having switched from Saab 0W-30 LL oil.

No make up oil/Running Oilguard EPS-10
FP about 80% of the time.
Lab is Blackstone

Al 2
Cr 0
Fe 4
Cu 4
Pb 1
Sn 0
Moly 382
Mn/Ag/Ni/Ti 0
K 19
Boron 23
Si 8
Na 5
Ca 2233
Mg 31
Zn 1025
Barium 0
Sus Visc @ 210 62.5
Flash 380F
Fuel AntiF/H20 0%
Insoluble .3%

TBN 2.6

Wear is excellent. Only question I have is why is the TBN so low for only 6,900 miles? A fully synthetic oil should have more left then that.

quote:

Does moisture have some kind of effect on the polyol ester base as Redline has.

Some have said that,(Amsoil)/(Mobil), usually those pushing/selling PAO based oils but I don;'t think so. Redline formulates around that I'm sure or their would be problems. I asked Dave G awhile back about that and he assured me that RL handles moisture well.

It's a great report but I'm just wondering if the TBN is off or skewed bc it's RL. Could have a lot more life left in the oil as we saw with 3MP's study.

I believe Terry said it best here:

quote:

think it does with a freshly sandblasted bearing or metal surface under high pressure. It is attempting to reform a EP layer and the solvency of the chemistry is cleaning up oxidized materials. This is the characteristic that Roy may have been trying to explain to you.

For instance Auto-RX ,Nuetra, Synergyn,LubeControl all have a similar effect in the cleaning of a surface abraded bearing but won't lay down as much EP protection like this formula.

Many of the more "conventional" add packs that most syns use aren't as reactive nor as protective in the EP regime.

[ March 29, 2005, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

The reason I ask is because when we use the polyol surfactant, H2O intereacts and activates the polyol in the soil. It usually last between 2-4 weeks. Once water is mixed with polyol, it starts to break down. Just curious.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Wear is excellent. Only question I have is why is the TBN so low for only 6,900 miles? A fully synthetic oil should have more left then that.

Don't forget that Blackstone's method of determining TBN results in a lower number. A Blackstone TBN of 1 is equal to 3-3.5 when done by the more common method.

Whimsey

How much time on the oil?

I wonder how much of a diff in the TBN LC would have made here? I guess the world will never know
grin.gif

Well BlackStone does have a funky TBN and 1 is their cut off so it still had life left in it! I think it is a GREAT UOA!!!! You went 6900 miles and your highest wear metal reading is 4PPM and if you add allof your wear numbers up and take the average you get less than 2 PPM of wear.If divided it by 1000 miles the PPM per 1000 miles is insanely low! I think it is also worth noteing that this is the first run with Redline! Insolubles were low as well at .3 and this engine is known to have a problem with insilubles!! Looks like Redlines solvency kept it in check!

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I don't recall Redline having Potassium in until the last couple of times. And how about the Boron??

The boron is left over from the Saab Long Life oil previously used, i surmise.

I'd use a condemning limit of 2.0 for TBN - but only from a lab that does the ASTM D-4739 test the correct way. This includes AVLube, Oil Analyzers Inc, Cleveland Tech Center, Butler Labs and Analysts, Inc....

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back