What oil question: 1993 VW Eurovan

Status
Not open for further replies.
1993 VW Eurovan 2.5 L gas engine
260,000KM on the 100% original engine.
loses 1 L of oil after 3000+ KM.
Has always been run on 10W40 Canadian tire brand Formula1 with synthetic weargaurd (whatever that means) It is suppose to be a shell oil.

Currently is making some piston slap noise at start up when cold. Goes away after 2 to 3 minutes.

I am running ARX in it as we speak. (cleaning phase)
I will be running 2 application of ARX, what oil is best for this car after I am done the ARX application? I am planing to put another 200,000Km on it.

The owners manual suggest 5W30 from -30 to +20
15W50 or 20W50 from -10 to +40.

Temp in Toronto gets very cold in winter from 0 to -35
Summer time it gets as high as 40. Avergae winter temp is -15 and average summer temp is +20.

Usage: 20KM trip to work(x2), few 10KM street delivery routes during the day.

I was thinking of using AMSOIL 5W40 all year and change every 6 months (16000KM)

I am also thinking about using one of the new high mileage oils but I dont know much about them! What advantage do they have over Full synthetic oil such as AMSOIL?

quote:

Originally posted by kickster:
1993 VW Eurovan 2.5 L gas engine
260,000KM on the 100% original engine.
loses 1 L of oil after 3000+ KM.
Has always been run on 10W40 Canadian tire brand Formula1 with synthetic weargaurd (whatever that means) It is suppose to be a shell oil.

Currently is making some piston slap noise at start up when cold. Goes away after 2 to 3 minutes.

I am running ARX in it as we speak. (cleaning phase)
I will be running 2 application of ARX, what oil is best for this car after I am done the ARX application? I am planing to put another 200,000Km on it.

The owners manual suggest 5W30 from -30 to +20
15W50 or 20W50 from -10 to +40.

Temp in Toronto gets very cold in winter from 0 to -35
Summer time it gets as high as 40. Avergae winter temp is -15 and average summer temp is +20.

Usage: 20KM trip to work(x2), few 10KM street delivery routes during the day.

I was thinking of using AMSOIL 5W40 all year and change every 6 months (16000KM)

I am also thinking about using one of the new high mileage oils but I dont know much about them! What advantage do they have over Full synthetic oil such as AMSOIL?

I dont know Canada prices but:
Delvac 1 or Mobile 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40
Amsoil 5W-40
Redline 5W-40
Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (Belgium)
Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40

Petro Canada Synthetic 5W-40 (Group III) may also be a choice up there but I have no experince with it in gas engines. I would check for a API SL rating, It is highly thought of in the Dodge Cummins community. Also Esso may have some choices that would work well.

Here in the US we can get the Rotella for about 60% of the price of the others but it is Group III. I think Castrol may be one of the cheaper choices up there but again it is Group III I believe. It and the Shell are both very good group III oils though.

Gene

I agree with Gene.

Change over to Mobil 1 and any of those HDD Engine oils would be great too.

However since your in Canada it would be wise to change over to a 5W40 or so in Winter time.

The again some of those HDD oils also have very imoressive low temperature points.

Upgrade to those oils
smile.gif
Good luck on the piston slap problem, the AutoRX was a wonderful way to prep your engine for the good stuff soon to go on.

Out~

Are High mileage oils part synthetic? I was at walmart today and their prices range from 2.99 to 3.99 per Liter! Same price for synthetic blend.

kickster,

I believe some of them do have some PAO in them.

If you weren't so far north I would recommend straight 30W in that motor...maybe in the summer?

I would either:

1. Continue with the Crappy Tire 10-40
2. Delvac 1 5-40 from Wal-Mart
3. Shell Rotella 0-40 also from Crappy Tire

quote:

Are High mileage oils part synthetic?

Many contain some ester to soften old, hard, leaky seals. Also, they're at the top end of their stated viscosity to reduce some oil consumption and help quiet the engine. All in all, hardly worth the price.

I agree for the Eurovan...a syn 5W-40.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back