Why so many Vista updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you noticed how many Vista updates MS pushed since its introduction? So much for the world's most robust OS ... blah blah blab. Looks to me they are so paranoid that they do not follow the monthly patch cycle as they did for all previous software. Thank #@$%! this is a testing version paid for by my company, who would want to spend so much money on an OS that is so hard on resources and can only offer Aero graphics. Let’s see what SP1 will bring around. I’d rather see a SP3 for XP as I am tired of downloading 300MB of updates.
mad.gif

The parent company is MICROSHAFT, what else needs be said?
Their system is many separate groups for each feature of the operating system. They are not integrated until afterwards. It works by sheer force, kinda.

I would have guessed most businesses would still run XP until a few of the Vista service packs have been released.
dunno.gif

Just curious how many Apple OS updates there are recently? Is it like most Apple stuff, sorta hidden?

As for Vista updates......the larger bloat the fatter the goat. I expected nothing less. I will NOT pay for Vista if that's what you are asking.
smile.gif

I only update what I need. There's much junk I don't use at all like for example iPhoto and AirPort, so I don't update those. I get a prompt if updates are available. Instead of downloading them all blindly I go to the apple site and pick the updates I need.

recent udpates

That's odd. I purchased a new computer with Vista in Feb. I think there was an update or two at first, but I haven't been notified of any updates for weeks.

At work we are having a *ell of a time making our program work for Windows Vista. You have to disable UAC (User Access Control) and turn off Windows Firewall before the setup even runs. Problem is, if they don't call us first - our program gets half way installed so I have to walk them through deleting all the *.dll files in the system32 folder from the failed install. I hate Vista.

We've had people tell us that most of their XP programs don't run on Vista (Quickbooks, etc..).

Windows Vista has some serious problems and is by far a downgrade from Windows XP. The "graphical" ooh and aahs are not worth the slowed down processor/bogged resources.

My job gave us a Vista test machine for a week. It wasn't much longer before that when the US Army Corps of Engineers (where I work) banned Vista on any and all Corps computers.

sprintman, you can't be serious!?!? Mac fixes the flaws that matter, Microsoft gives them a rating (publicly) of "Low" or "Moderate"...those have little chance of ever being patched in Microsoft's priority queue!

I'm NOT saying that Apple doesn't do that...I am saying is that Apple patches their OS often...keeping it as safe and sound as possible without the excuses for not patching things, like MS has done time & time again.

Like someone said:
Using Microshaft will make you learn how to repair computers, and using Mac will teach you how to use a computer.

That's pretty true. Every MS OS user has has some experience (many have had a lot of it) in "problem resolution".

Vista was not thoroughly tested in my opinion. I believe it was limited to Microsoft and a select few other companies for testing. That is the reason why so much s*** doesn't work yet and why so many companies are taking their sweet a** time getting fixes for older software/hardware. That is why there are so many updates.

Another reason for more updates. Laptops that were released with Vista, were using newer wireless cards that were not tested by the manufacturers for multiple compatibility. A Circuit City employee said that every laptop that came in at the start would not connect to the store's wireless. The problem seemed to be within the drivers that controlled the wireless on/off switches. Now this is NOT a Vista issue, but Microsoft stated that there will be updates that will fix these driver issues. The newer (within the past month) computers have not been having this problem where I work, but prior to this, almost all computers wouldn't connect to our wireless network.

Also, many of the customers who were having these problems, stated that they could no longer connect to their home networks. Nationwide, many large scale networks could not connect with these cards as well.

Keep in mind, Vista was hacked within 1 hour of release...something just doesn't fit right with that.

Not to bash Mac or anything, but the only good thing about Mac is the OS. I do not see the logic in paying so much for an Apple computer, as PC's are typically on par now in terms of hardware. I think if Apple sold the Mac OS separately (since it's apparently "illegal" to install the Mac OS on a non-Apple computer), then they would be one step ahead.

Like a lot of stuff we buy it is cheaper for the companies to screw the customer than put out a well designed product.

sprintman I agree with you. I have both a Windows computer running Vista and a Mac. There have been a huge number of Apple updates in the past few months. I have not really noticed much in the way of really major Vista updates. In fact, I wish Microsoft would update Windows Defener more often.

There are some people who call themselves 'researchers' who seem to be really trying, for whatever reasons, to probe the Mac OS X operating system for every possible hole they can find. I don't know if these people intend good or evil or are just trying to impress but in the long run they are probably going to help Apple develop more secure operating systems and application software.

Vista has been out now for a few months and I simply have not noticed really large updates. Often what updates there are are small and some weeks have gone by I think without any updates at all from what I remember.

When I first saw Vista, I was hoping that it was not going to be in the same boat as ME, but more and more I tend to believe that it may be. Right now I see absolutely no point of upgrading, although Microsoft is more than happy to push the “safest” and “most secure” OS to the public. Yes, the consumer is the final Beta tester which is very sad, I have the auto update feature turned on just because we have been involved in some testing as work to see what this new product is all about. Sad to note that my 2 year old notebook will have a rough time running Vista due to the enormous amounts of resources required. I am still waiting for the power management to be fixed, although I read how XP and Vista will last just about the same on battery power, Vista does not even come close because its power management does not work at all.

All I hear and see is a wonderful AERO graphics presentation, do I really need to spend extra money on a graphics card to run AERO? All new configurations with Vista carry a minimum 256Mb graphics card, that should tell us something.

Alright, now that we know that Vista sucks, has been banned by many organizations, where is service pack 3 for XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back