Why are quotes broken on so many posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to search for info but can't tell the new posted info from the quoted info in many threads, more so if coming from a search it seems.

Is this an issue caused by the forum software update?

It makes the site unreadable much of the time when trying to search for info, because you can't tell the quoted stuff from the posters stuff...

Last edited:
I've noticed that also, but I recall seeing very old threads where the multi-quotes in a post were separated with boxes enough to make who said what. Seems something has changed recently that effected old threads with multi-quotes in them.

Can you show me an example?
For instance, this post. The quotes of the other posters use to be separated in boxes so you could see exactly who said what.

It use to be like this example below showing RDY4WAR's quote and then the response. But now the box is gone and all the text is ran together.

1665257437746.png

and I cannot do "quotes within quotes" either.
Not sure if Xenforo supports that. I wish it did 'cause it can be very useful in some contexts. I end up quoting the 1st bit, then quoting the 2nd bit so they remain in (time) order, then add my reply below it.

If the post was from pre-Xenforo software conversion, quoting can be kinda messy. The format doesn't match current quoting at all.
It use to for the most part, like shown in the example in post #6.

It use to for the most part, like shown in the example in post #6.
Looking at the examples posted, one was from 2009, so definitely pre-Xenforo, but they do look different than I remember them. They are properly "nested" but definitely confusing trying to see who said what without looking up/down.

Looking at the examples posted, one was from 2009, so definitely pre-Xenforo, but they do look different than I remember them. They are properly "nested" but definitely confusing trying to see who said what without looking up/down.
Without the boxes separating the posters, it is very difficult to determine who said what. Like the example linked in post #6, and snipped below.

1665258104250.png

Yes, the distorted quotes and posts are a vestige of upgrading to XenForo. I have fixed perhaps 1,000 of them manually. Including Astro14's entire F-14 thread (one of the greatest of all-time), which became almost unreadable and now is perfectly readable. If you see one you would like fixed, PM me the thread and I'll work on it in my spare time.

Last edited:
This is one I fixed about 15 minutes ago. It show up correctly for me both on Firefox and My iPhone.
Not showing up with boxes around the members quotes for me. Just looked at it right now again. 🤷‍♂️

^^^ Also just looked at that post on my Android phone, and no boxes around the member's quotes either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back