What the Kendall logo means

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out what the Kendall logo means. You know, the hand that's making a 'V'.

Back in the '30s (or maybe the '50s, don't remember for sure), the standard OCI was 500 miles. Kendall was the first oil that was good for 2,000 miles. So, the two fingers stand for 2,000. Not 'V' for victory, not peace.

I can only imagine what it would have looked like if Kendall had been the first 1,000 mile oil.

The thumb needs to be a lil more between the fingers, maybe V for valvoline
smile.gif

D'oh! I thought I might have come up with something that hadn't been discussed before. Shoulda known better! Thanks for your replies all the same.

Anyway, speaking of Kendall, I'm going to hijack my own thread.

I get my oil changes at Tires Plus. They use the bulk Kendall 5W-30 semi-syn. I've read comments here and there on BITOG that seem to imply that bulk oil is garbage, but no one ever says why.

So, what do you think? Is bulk oil garbage? If so, why? I've just always assumed that it's the same stuff you get in the quart bottles, except it comes in big barrels.

That's neat about the History of Kendall Oil Co. and the 2 fingers meaning good for 2000 miles. I always learn something new here.

As far as Kendall Oil Products of today, they are very good products in my experience, particularly the semi-synthetic modern oils, used for new cars, up to 5 years old etc. and lighter viscosities. The quality of BULK OIL, it depends more on the cleanliness of the shop? That's why oil in quart and multi-quart containers are preferable. You never know what the shop has done to the bulktanks or water can get into them, unknowingly. It happens to the best of shops, it's happened to me, at a good dealer's shop, using Kendall, too.
driving.gif
cheers2.gif

Over the years, Kendall has used the two fingers for different things in advertising. I had not heard of the 2000 mile thing before this thread, but I do remember advertising for two types of oil, detergent or non detergent and then later for dual action cleaning.

The advertising for detergent or non detergent said that they were not taking sides as to which is better, but for those that wanted a choice they offered both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back