TBN 7.8
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF 63.0
Flashpoint F 405

UPC # 074509909478
WPP bottle
W70393 7039
High Performance Formulation
API SM, SL, SJ, SH, ILSAC GF-4, GF-3 API Certified

I've yet to try the current Supertech oil, but i do have 5 quarts of supertech 5w30 waiting to go in at the next oil change just for fun. In searching around i found a VOA from Valvoline Durablend 5w30 from 2006, when comparing the two the supertech additive pack just looks like a slightly cheaper version of Durablend with calcium, phos, and zinc doing the majority of the work. Granted Durablend is 'semi synthetic' and 3X the price. Having said that, my previous car went well over 200,000 miles on regular valvoline allclimate. Here is the VOA of Durablend:

Aluminum 1
Chromium 0
Iron 1
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 0
Moly 0
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potasium 2
Boron 1
Silicon 3
Sodium 1
Calcium 2249
Magnesium 5
Phosphorous 791
Zinc 952
Barium 0
Vis @ 100 C (converted) 10.5 cSt
Flashpoint 430FT
BN 8.3

I've not seen any Tech2000 in my walmart in quite sometime. I think possibly supertech is just the new name for Tech2000?

Yes, Tech2000 is the Canadian Walmart branded oil which is equivalent to the American Walmart branded Supertech. Tech2000 is made by Safetykleen Canada in most cases.

Now looking the reads on the posts, it looks like people are more interested in the DINO version. I wasn't expecting that.

Quote:

Starting tbn means nothing. The rate of how quickly the tbn depletes is what matters. Not to mention there are three different methods of testing tbn, which usually yield three different numbers.

I think you should read bob's thread on tbn.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB4&Number=256622

As long as someone uses the same lab, the VOA shows where the TBN started. If some one ran this oil for 3K and got a TBN from Blackstone of 4, they might think its #rap if they thought the oil started at a TBN of 10. Knowing that it starts at 7.8 you might not want to run it to 5K or more unless you are easy on your oil. I definitely agree that the true test of an oil is the UOA result.

Dennis

I actually put this in my 1997 Mustang 4.6 the last oil change, I only drive about 2,000 every 6 months or so. I think Supertech 5w-30 is a decent oil, hey it's SM rated so has to meet the latest standards, I think the low cost oils sometimes get a bad rep.

One guy tested SuperTech 10W30 vs Chevron 15W40...AutoZone 20W50...and Mobil 1 5W-30 Truck & SUV...in a homebuilt generator using a Civic car engine with O2/ECU etc....for run time.

Result was a 4 to 7% LOSS in run time using the oils other than SuperTech.

I'd post a link....but the site is down.

chart2.jpg

This is from the test (not mine) where a Civic engine (w/ ECU + O2) was coupled to a generator...a load put on the gen...maybe 7 HP...and a consistent amount of gas was timed till it quit.

Shows that changing to the other oils REDUCED run time...while new plugs/wires increased run time. MSD ignit...no change.

'Tech 2000' oil in Canadian W-M's HAS been re-named 'Super Tech' oil, I think the 'Tech 2000' name was getting dated sounding. It is the same oil from S-K Canada, but it the name has been aligned with the US one. This goes for the whole line - S-T synth in Canada is still a group III S-K oil as well......

From OP's original VOA of the SuperTech tested would the low concentrations of Ca and other metals make this oil a 'low SAPS' type, ie: more like what we will see in an API SN oil when that becomes available?

Looks like poor quality control too me!Molakule did some testing a while pack and found ST gear lube to be greatly lower then what it should have been on the additive package. All the other gear lubes tested at the same time by the same lab came back right on spec.! SO this tells me that ST oils are not only made buy the lowest bidder but that price point included lack of proper quality controls!You get what you pay for and nothing more! Now one gives you something for nothing especialy when it comes to oils,gear lubes and ATF's!

Im not surprised for oil thats selling for $2 a quart at Walmart.

Would ya'll agree that its good for 3-4k max on average?

This may be a bad oil but ST has shown good results time after time.A re-test or a test by another company will probably show what the real levels are.

The price of ST in my opinion has little if anything to do with its quality,you seem to get a good quality oil without paying for the advertising that is in the cost of the big oil makers.

ST has to meet the same standards as any other oil that has the API logo whether it is PYB,Castrol or any other oil.

I have used ST several times and so have others on the board and so far,I dont know of any damage that has been done by ST.I think that for most,it is a fine oil and will work well for those that use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back