Amsoil EAO filter Microns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugly, the EaO filter that fits my car is "only" $15.30. In looking over their pricing, there are four pages of filters, with prices ranging from $15 to the low 20s. It looks like the more common sizes (for cars anyway) are in the low end of the range. Not a big deal, but I guess the individual owner has to make the assessment of whether the price, whatever it is for him or her, is "worth it."

Quote:

Quote:

That's my take. Amsoil is such a niche market that it will never challenge the competition to produce better products. There's no gain in it. People that are sorta "in the know" will gravitate to a PureOne for the best bang of that level of filtration and not ante up (almost double) for the difference of an M1. M1 filter users are brand loyal and don't really care about the cost.

There's really nothing to alter most of the current consumer motivations in filter selection with JUST the introduction of a better filter ...under ANY label. Amsoil's niche type marketing is the only way that something like this can work. You're paying a premium of premiums for the privelege. It's not worth it to the mass vendors to offer this level of filtration at any price. They're already balanced out in the cost:demand:marketing yield triangle. Amsoil, OTOH, is operating on its adaptive home court.

Is an EaO worth 20% more than an M1 in comparative worth? I'd say, "YES". Is the M1 worth the premium that it demands in the market to begin with? Not in my opinion ....but Mobil and those who buy the filters don't agree with me. The majority of the cost is in marketing and ROI for those who distribute it and is way out of whack with on a cost:performance basis.

I doubt that the EaO line is any threat to M1's throne in the consumer's eye ..as few who can perceive it to begin with.

Gary, I think you have the cost of the filters wrong. The last I saw the EaO was something like $20+, Mobil 1 was $11+, and Pure One was $6+. Big premium there to get the best filter when the data indicates that engines run a really long time on $2.00+ filters.
dunno.gif

Pure One was $6+

Quote:

PureOne for the best bang of that level of filtration and not ante up (almost double) for the difference of an M1

Mobil 1 was $11+ Looks almost double to me
confused.gif

Quote:

Is an EaO worth 20% more than an M1 in comparative worth?

Sorry, PC price grouped with other filters for shipping.

Regardless of the particulars, my point, essentially, was that "of those who prefer higher levels of filtration, most will opt for a PureOne @ $6 and not ante up to the $11-$12 M1 for the fractional difference in performance. Is a $15-18 EaO that much better than M1? I think so, but you've got to back drop that with the $6 PureOne that, in itself is a very good filter by most standards.

I'm just giving the justification for the EaO's price in a comparative market offering ...and also depicting how out of bounds both are in the market in terms of price. Personally I can justify the costs for the exclusive performance that it affords (as current indications suggest).

Last edited:
Quote:

If anyone ever thought about going to a bypass oil filtration system, the Eao is a good alternative.

Me and friend were looking at alternative for bypass filters but after seeing the data and remarks of GeorgeCLS and Terry (of Dysan fame), looks like a switch to EaO is all that is required.

Still in my WOW category.

driving.gif

Quote:

Quote:

If anyone ever thought about going to a bypass oil filtration system, the Eao is a good alternative.

Me and friend were looking at alternative for bypass filters but after seeing the data and remarks of GeorgeCLS and Terry (of Dysan fame), looks like a switch to EaO is all that is required.

Still in my WOW category.

driving.gif

When Amsoil determines that the Eao is cutting into their lucrative bypass oil systems, they may dumb down the Eao. Stock up now, before they get a chance to do it.

stooges.gif

Harry

It will be interesting to see how Amsoils bypass filters sales go. They did replace their old bypass filters with the new nanofiber bypass filters. They may continue as they are 99% efficient at 2 microns and 50% efficient at 1 micron.

From what I have read in diesel section the 5 micron soot would still be a long term problem for a EaO but this is their REAL market for bypass filtration anyway. Which means it will still be a great idea. The two together will be a major advantage for either.

Do not see it as a problem for them long term. Just a make more per filter to cover any loss in bypass filters. Diesel boys will still get theirs for the same reason just will last longer with the efficiency of EaO. No problems

Also with EYE OPENING quality like that they just may sell a lot more EaO to not worry about a loss in gas bypass filters. If all goes well you may actually see a % loss but solid unit sales gains.

Best of luck to AMSOIL for them sticking their necks out selling QUALITY!

Quote:

From what I have read in diesel section the 5 micron soot would still be a long term problem for a EaO but this is their REAL market for bypass filtration anyway. Which means it will still be a great idea. The two together will be a major advantage for either.

Do not see it as a problem for them long term. Just a make more per filter to cover any loss in bypass filters. Diesel boys will still get theirs for the same reason just will last longer with the efficiency of EaO. No problems

Also with EYE OPENING quality like that they just may sell a lot more EaO to not worry about a loss in gas bypass filters. If all goes well you may actually see a % loss but solid unit sales gains.

Best of luck to AMSOIL for them sticking their necks out selling QUALITY!

All valid points ewetho, but I have over the years, seen products, for whatever reason, discontinued or the manufacturer found a way to make it for less money.....read lesser quality. I will personally stock up with enough filters to get me through another 200,000 miles. What has happened though, is I have sold some filters to the guys I work with, so I don't know how many to actually get, seems that a lot of engines use the Eao20.

Harry

Quote:

It will be interesting to see how Amsoils bypass filters sales go. They did replace their old bypass filters with the new nanofiber bypass filters. They may continue as they are 99% efficient at 2 microns and 50% efficient at 1 micron.

Tim,

I'll bet that setup would REALLY keep the oil clean! Do you think there is such a thing as too much filtering? George wrote somewhere that VI stripping would occur under hi heat conditions with that sort of filtration. I am thinking that the Eao is plenty of filtration for a street vehicle, I only wish Amsoil went to a 10 micron absolute level than the 15 micron now profferred.

Harry
driving.gif

BMK13 I think it is off the top of my head will adapt to factor location then with a remote mount has side-by-side the Full Flow and Bypass filter. This is just a fancy remote system that adds bypass capability. Just need to mount it up somewhere. The one I liked but room is to hard to come by is for Trucks I saw a thing where they included a bypass filter in the full flow filter. Not sure how well it worked or how popular they were but that would be awesome.

Quote:

BMK13 I think it is off the top of my head will adapt to factor location then with a remote mount has side-by-side the Full Flow and Bypass filter. This is just a fancy remote system that adds bypass capability. Just need to mount it up somewhere. The one I liked but room is to hard to come by is for Trucks I saw a thing where they included a bypass filter in the full flow filter. Not sure how well it worked or how popular they were but that would be awesome.

ewetho,

The problem I have with the remote setup is space considerations and the appearance factor. I remember reading somewhere of someone who relocated his battery just to install a bypass setup. I just would like to have both filters in the area provided for the existing filter. All that said, it looks like the Eao approaches bypass territory anyway so I really have given up the idea for a bypass setup. Bill in Utah gets many miles on his vehicles just using marginal filters, so can you imagine using an Eao with it's superb filtering ability? The car will probably turn into a heaping pile of rust before the engine quits.
laugh.gif

Harry
driving.gif

Quote:

Considering it is the most expensive part, DON"T YOU WANT IT THAT WAY!!!
smile.gif

That and the transmission.

Absolutely ewetho, synthetic lubricants in the engine and transmission. I change the transmission fluid at every oil change, not a complete change, just the 3 qts in the fluid sump.

Harry
driving.gif

Consider this, the Eao filters around 70% at ten microns, the paper filters struggle to do the same with around 10% efficiency. Which filter do you want in your car?

Harry
driving.gif

Well that settles that. Now, what is the cheapest way to purchase Amsoil products? I used to pay for the preferred membership and buy from a dealer at the Big East Snomobile Show (no shipping) but I need the filters now.

.....Full list price...$$$$...+ tax + shipping $$$$$$ +advertising.......+fuel surcharge.....=$$$$$$$$$......Got it! Why can't they sell like everyone else does?

Quote:

.....Full list price...$$$$...+ tax + shipping $$$$$$ +advertising.......+fuel surcharge.....=$$$$$$$$$......Got it! Why can't they sell like everyone else does?

I totally agree, there are some places that do sell the Amsoil stuff, but they are few and far between.

Quote:

Quadrasteer,

Go to the Amsoil main site. In the center of their page, just above the red product application rectangle, is a gray box that will let you lookup any local dealers. I discovered that there are at least three in my area....no shipping charges.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back