Oil for Cat mechanical fuel pump test stands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm looking for a substitute motor oil to be used in some automated test stands for Caterpillar mechanical diesel fuel pumps. Our company builds and tests 6, 8, and 12 cylinder pumps - the big cast iron ones that weigh 50 to 150 lbs. The pump has a camshaft and roller lifters. It's lubed by roughly 80 psi motor oil to simulate what the engine would be supplying it with, it's run in for a few minutes while it's tested for function and adjusted to spec. The pump runs for 5 to 10 minutes on average and of course sees no combustion byproducts or high temperatures, as the oil is chilled by the test stand.

Currently the stands use Rotella T 15W-40, but it's awfully expensive at $8/gal when you don't need that kind of protection. It gradually gets diluted by the diesel substitute and full of wear metals from break-in, so it gets discarded every week or two. This gets pricey when you go through almost a barrel a week.

Does anyone know of a cheap, no-frills 40 weight oil available by the barrel that would be suitable for this application?

Thanks.

Get a price on a ISO 150 AW hydraulic oil All the majors have one, Shell is tellus.
Out here it is about $4.50 gallon in a drum and will have plenty of AW protection for what you want.
bruce

I agree with bruce, an inexpensive AW hydraulic oil will fit the bill perfectly. This also sounds like a good candidate for a home made oil cleaner. Take the contaminated oil and heat it to evaporate the fuel. Then pass it through a very fine filter. Two LuberFiner 750's with paper towels in them will work pretty good for not much money. You could probably reuse the hydraulic oil 3 or 4 times that way.

Motor Oil vis is taken at 100C so a ISO Vis grade of 150 will match that, but you use the oil I assume at "room" temp and thinking about your use the ISO 150 Hydraulic oil would be very thick at "room" temp perhaps to thick.

So a better option would be to use a would be ISO 100 AW Hydraulic Oil which should match the 15/40 pretty close at "room" temp.

"""Ouch! I just got a quote from our local shell distributor for $9.83/gal for the Tellus! What's up with that I wonder"""

WOW way out of line look in yellow pages under oil, lubricating, distributors and call around.

All you need is a "Hydrualic oil AW (anti Wear) ISO vis grade 100. They are common and avalible in California I sell for around $4.00 or so gallon in a drum, you should be able to find some brands for ?? around $4-5.00 gallon I'd guess.

Look around.

bruce

9.83/gal for that oil seems steep. I think we payed around 4.15/gal for the last several drums I ordered from our 76 dealer. I think I would call around, even NAPA would probably have a better price than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back