Oil for 3.7L Jeep Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up an 03 Liberty with 59K on the clock. Dealer changed oil at 58,500 with Pennzoil 5w30. I was planning on changing around 60K and 65K with havoline synthetic 5w30 (which I have a stash of), until the powertrain warranty is up. Planning on using the Motorcraft FL 400s filter.

Anyone found a great oil weight, other than 5w30 for this engine. (kind of like 5w40 for Jeep's 4.0?)

Any reason I should not stick with the Havoline synthetic in this engine? I would plan on extending OCIs to 7,500 once the 7/70 is up.

THanks

Use your stash! Not sure if I would go 7.5K on Group III. I generally stop at 6K - basically cause I like seeing a clear dipstick for about 1.5K... no other reason. Motorcrafts are good.... I think a best buy/value when purchased at Wally World for just over $3.

Last edited:
I have that engine's big brother, the DC 4.7. It seems to like nothing heavier than a 30 weight so I think the Havoline synthetic is a good idea. I would change it every 5k and use either a Mobil 1 or Purolator Pure One. You should be able to use the oversize Mobil 1 301 filter or Purolator 30001 filter like I do on my 4.7

DarkJedi Likes GC 0w-30 look elsewhere on this forum if you need to know what GC is. Don't let the 0 fool you. GC is a thick 30 weight.

The DC 3.7/4.7 are not hard on oil. Anything from 0w-20 to a thinner 10W-40 Weight will work. The Penn will usually go 5000 mi unless you do a lot of short trips. If the factory OCI for that year (I suffer from CRS Disease) is 7500 mi I would change to Havoline Synthetic at 62500 mi. Then you are covered on warranty.

At 70000 mi you can send the Havoline in for a UOA. If it doesnt seem like it will make it to 10000 mi you can try ASL 5W-30 or GC 0W-30 to extend the changes to 10000 mi.

You will be fine running anything from 5W30-15W50 depending on ambient temp.'s! This engine and it's big bother the 4.7V8 are easy on oil and are not picky at all. I will say that in this engine I think solid 10W30's and 5W40's are great. I am sure the Havoline Synthetic 5W30 will do a fine job but do not be suprised if it shear out of grade. When you do a UOA iron will be the highest wear number probably double digits while all the other wear numbers will be single digit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back