Oil Preference and Extended Rebuild Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All!

has using your preferred oil enabled you to go longer between OEM reccomended equipment teardown & rebuild intervals?

Of course, UOA's would provide a basis for doing that.. I'm just curious because everyone talks about extended drain intervals as being the determinant of an oils value.

I say short drain intervals are cost effective ,if it means you can go an additional several thousand hours between teardowns, right?

Or is it preferred to lengthen the drain intervals to save on oil cost, but do overhauls at OEM reccomendations?

Let me know what you do, and what oil you use if you go with the extended overhaul intervals.

Tom

Quote:

there is no reason that you cannot have extended drains and extended overhauls.

True.. I just never hear anybody say their preferred oil is the best because they don't have to overhaul when the OEM recommends it.. all I ever hear is that an oil is great because they can go X amount of hours / miles between changes.

Tom

I think a big part of that is because this is predominately a car oil forum.
In my experience the smaller operators tend to gauge rebuilds and have preferences more so than the larger oufits.

I run Delo 400 or Schaeffer's because it is cost effective and I always get long engine life. This is in my personal diesel vehicles, which really isn't a great example since I'm not running a lot of miles.

At work, we have to keep a certain image in the public view, so we run re-refined oils and long OCI's. We do many UOA's and have adjusted our OCI's to get the best results with the longest OCI practical. So far, we have not impacted the longevity of the engines.

Unocal was the first I think to bring out a re refined oil
years ago. was to get all the city and state business I think since they spec now re refined oil if it is as good a virgin, which it is.
bruce

I can't swear to this as I have no data from the initial switch, but it seems like the current oil we get is quite a bit better base stock than at first. I would imagine that as the virgin base stocks have improved in quality that the re-refined oil has as well since it's feed stock is much better.

I would like to know what process they are using to re-refine the oil. I wonder if it is solvent based. I have noticed that after an oil change, the tow truck has an odd smell from the engine breather for about 1500 miles, then it goes away until another change! I'm probably ready too much into that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back