M1 EP 15W-50 Goes Group III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just shot some M1 EP 15W-50 into the Gas Chromatograph and was surprised to find it based mostly on mineral oil (presumably Group III) plus a good slug of AN. It may also contain a small amount of PAO, but so small that I can't be certain.

Et tu, Brute?
frown.gif

Tom

One could speculate that they use Group III for the 15w-50 bc very few people even buy that grade anymore. It's almost obsolete. So they might be trying to cut costs by skimping out on that particular viscosity.

For the Motorcycle oils, Mobil 1 V-Twin and 10w-40 Racing oil are top notch oils that are PAO with a lot of esters.

Is anyone really surprised at this with the way that baseoil prices (including PAO) have been increasing.

Is the M1 15W-50 EP still labeled as a "fully synthetic" oil?

EDIT: I just checked the website:

Quote:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance
You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a high-endurance motor oil designed for longer service intervals. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed.

"fully synthetic formulation"

Oh well.
beer.gif

Last edited:
I just spent a day with 4 research engineers from Mobil. They spent a good 10 min. proclaiming that anything Mobil calls a synthetic is group IV unlike some other guys. I find this hard to believe...is it April 1?

Wow, this is surprising. Time to make the switch to Amsoil? LOL.

The Japanese Mobil 1 site actually lists a few viscosities as being "PAO + Hydroprocessed".

If it's true that some viscosities of M1 are now Group III, I will no longer use Mobil products. At the price they are selling it for, they are ripping off the public IMO.

BTW, the only viscosity on the Japanese Mobil site that was just strictly PAO was the 0w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back