Chevron Phillips Synfluid® PAO FAQ

As a base oil - PAO allows:
- more additive chemistry, as PAO has less SAPS compounds in its composition. SAPS kills modern 3 way catalysts or
diesel DPFs and has stringent limits on its presence in oil. SAPS also should be bad for DI engines due to providing the compounds needed for valve deposits(Gokhan may disagree). I havent seen tests / studies to the contrary. More moly or ZDDP can be added to PAO oils having the same or lower total SAPS content.
- more oxidation stability, requiring less antioxidants for similar intervals / use - oil can contain friction reducing / extreme pressure performance additives, rather than just antioxidants. Would also withstand nitration from fuel contamination better.
- less VI's are needed to achieve low temperature performance/winter grades. VI's can leave deposits or degrade and let oil slip out of grade.
- better NOACK - depends on other parameters, but I believe, a well established fact.
Lower NOACK also helps control intake valve deposits and oil consumption.

Most oils use PAO and other groups. Either way PAO is engineered to be better and uses pure chemicals as its building blocks. Yes, Group III can make a good oil,its just that Group IV is better.

May be time to follow diehard proponents of Grp. IV and upwards to note the actual premium they get in miles from their choices :) There will be lots of exacerbating circumstances to be accounted for as per the explanations, but it's often a good thing to listen patiently before judging.

Okay, this line was inspired by Ebay and may have been over the top. I'm already considered to be a stalker anyway - so will revert to Chevron:

When looking for inspiration by Chevron's own online oil commander, then Havoline's catalogue for german autobahn and BMW or VW "longlife" intervals of up to 30000km comes up with ProDS M, ProDS V, Ultra S, Ultra and the like. Groups III and II.

changing all drivetrain fluids in my not known for mpgs 2011 nissan frontier V-6 netted me an average 3 mpgs better averaging 18 mpg in mostly short to medium driving, as many retired only drive as needed + no daily 100 mile trips for work in the past where my 2001 jetta with 300 hp + 275 tq still netted 31 fun mpg's with everything redline including the small oil sump!! 200 thou trouble free miles on the engine at trade in!!! for another 1.8T audi TT 225Q roadster.

Back