Rant: Left Foot Brakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!
mad.gif

In case it's not obvious, I was just behind this idiot riding the brake with his left foot ALL THE WAY up I-75 in the rain in very slow traffic. I couldn't tell whether this idiot was stopping or not. This is not to mention the frustration of seeing constant brake lights in front of you. So if anyone reading this is a left foot braker, do the rest of us a favor and...

Especially if you're in a maroon GMC Yukon with a large soccer sticker in the bottom left corner of your rear window.

rugerman.gif
spankme.gif
chairs.gif

'tis.

but it really helps turn in on gravel to get the weight onto the front wheels when you are playing world rally champion.

Quote:

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!
mad.gif

In case it's not obvious, I was just behind this idiot riding the brake with his left foot ALL THE WAY up I-75 in the rain in very slow traffic. I couldn't tell whether this idiot was stopping or not. This is not to mention the frustration of seeing constant brake lights in front of you. So if anyone reading this is a left foot braker, do the rest of us a favor and...

Especially if you're in a maroon GMC Yukon with a large soccer sticker in the bottom left corner of your rear window.

rugerman.gif
spankme.gif
chairs.gif

my dad does this too. my mom is always ripping him a new one.

as far as the yukon. thats about half the yukons on the road with the large soccer sticker on it.
dunno.gif

Couldn't you just pass the guy
confused.gif
Most "I" type roads that I've ever been on have been multiple lane, limited access, roadways.

You could then flip him off on the way by. That's gotta be worth something
dunno.gif

Quote:

Couldn't you just pass the guy
confused.gif
Most "I" type roads that I've ever been on have been multiple lane, limited access, roadways.

You could then flip him off on the way by. That's gotta be worth something
dunno.gif

You've never been on I-75 north heading out of Detroit during the evening rush, have you? There was absolutely no way to pass this guy. You could barely change lanes. The traffic was too thick.

I suppose riding the pedal is more the problem than the left foot, strictly speaking, but when you only use your right foot for braking, you WON'T ride the brake, will you?

So, again I say...

grin.gif

By the way, for any Mad TV fans, you may remember the scene with Tim Conway and the one regular female actor where Conway plays a therapist. He promises her the session won't take more than a few minutes then, as soon as she starts telling him her problem, he shouts "STOP IT!" as the solution to her problem. At one point, she tells him several problems at once and he shouts "STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!", once for each problem.

Just in case anyone missed the reference in my OP.

I don't see this as often as I used to so I think idiots have moved on to a new favorite maneuver. I see directions left on way more. I usually pull in front of them, put my directional on too then stick my hand out the window, opening and closing my fingers quickly. It's my diplomatic way of saying your an idiot. Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!

Here, folks swerve into the right lane before making left turns, blinking or not. Other favorites are U-turns and the automotive equivalent of an Immelmann in a four-way-stop intersection, with random blinking optional.

In the past week, I've seen three people reading while driving on I-405, and one Princess simultaneously talking on her cell, applying makeup, and drinking coffee while "driving".

It seems reasonable to expect that someone in a left turn only lane will make a left turn, doesn't it?

Not around here.

Drivers around here like to suddenly decide they'd rather go straight than to make a left turn, just as you're coming upon them in the through lane.

Use this to your advantage. Wgen you see a left footed braker you realize this person has ZERO driving skills and should be avoided at all cost. I treat these people like the ones with wiper blades on HIGH SPEED when there is only a light or moderate rain (person hasn't changed wiper blades since vehicle left factory in 1996 ) and I put as much distance between us as possible!

Maybe the yukon driver was on his first visit to Detroit =-) and gun shy from experiencing the very odd behaviour Detroit area drivers seem to have of jamming on their brakes on the interstate from 70+mph for no good reason at all and coming to a dead stop. Resume travelling in ~10seconds and there is no construction to be seen, no accident remains, no freak traffic light, etc. In the 7 years I've been driving through the region I think I've managed to get across once without this phenomena occuring.

If it was Ohio, I'd have suspected the yukon to be in the left lane and afraid to drive faster than the semi they are pretending to pass. Whats so wrong with speeding up a bit to execute a pass?

[rant]
And we have todays 'winner'. A caddy escalade towing a utility trailer BACKING UP into an all-way stop intersection becuase they went the wrong way... Oh No, we can't simply go around the block and go the correct direction safely, we've got to make a half turn and come at the guy behind you... and of course, your mighty escalade driving bottom has to throw a hissy fit when I blast the horn at you and drive around you, of course, you weren't done yet, you had to try some intimidation with some severe tailgating, maybe even trying to pass me... Remember, if you play chicken, you may not be facing a chicken
hornets_nest.gif
I could use a free paint job. If you happen to be reading this (you never know) 1. Its ILLEGAL to back into an intersection 2. Drive around the flipping block next time.
[/rant]

Alex.

I have to agree with this comment. When I was riding my motorcycle, and I saw someone being inattentive or stupid, turn signal went on and I rolled the wrist back. You are more likely to be injured behind then than in front of them. Just get away.

hmm... the 4l60e wont lockup (or unlock) the torque convertor if/when you engage the brakes.

i have been known to tap the brakes with my left foot to disengage the t/c.

Hey, brake manufacturers and brake shop employees have to eat too. If most drivers babied their brakes like me, those guys would have to find another job.

Hey, I left foot brake when appropriate, and typically change a set of front friction material and never look at them again (well I look, but don't have to touch).

Never worn out a clutch or diff either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back