Stupid driver.

I swear I often think of this. Again, I time things so nobody is near me and if I can't, I 'go 'round' and do it calmly and quietly.
The goal is to be, "The Invisible Motorist". It's faster, cheaper, better.
Sure - look at the LH turn accident stats at “normal” intersections alone … I already avoid them as much as possible …
That OP zig zag would be a non starter for me …

Sure - look at the LH turn accident stats at “normal” intersections alone … I already avoid them as much as possible …

Many places in Virginia, even in built-up areas, avoiding a left turn means a 10 or even 15 mile longer trip.

There are even triple left turn lanes around here due to the extremely high volume of left turns at some intersections.

The road network in Virginia was never the product of much thought or planning.

Many places in Virginia, even in built-up areas, avoiding a left turn means a 10 or even 15 mile longer trip.

There are even triple left turn lanes around here due to the extremely high volume of left turns at some intersections.

The road network in Virginia was never the product of much thought or planning.
I could say that about the Texas Panhandle as well - but the subject appears to be in a city - same context as my comment …

Poor design. With some of the roads around here, I am doubtful the people that design them are drug tested.

It's a 45 degree turn to the left to go into the driveway, not straight. Or it is a right turn then a left. Either way the left turn signal should be on at some point. I would not wait at the stop sign to do this in one swoop. Pull out and establish yourself in the straight road then stop with left blinker on to wait to go left. It looks wide enough that if you are set up close to the yellow line, hotheads could relatively safely (albeit still illegally) go around on the right.

In most if not all states in the USA, it is perfectly OK to make a left turn across a double yellow line. They don't break the double yellow line for every single driveway and business entrance on the road.
Thank you for reiterating what the OP clarified for me hours earlier. The rules are different there than they are here. Got it.

Sounds like a case where both parties are wrong. One was driving unpredictably, the other aggressively.

If the first lane was clear, I'm not really understanding why you didn't pull into the intersection with your left blinker on. Between no blinker and just sitting at the stop sign, you caused a lot of confusion.

I think you should have pulled out slowly when a gap was presented and then put on your turnsignal immediately. You failed to show your intention. The guy likely thought you were "snoozing" If you are turning off a main thoroughfare you are not going "straight". It's Really just a bad place to have to turn.

I have an offset intersection near me near a grocery store I go to often - that place is just ripe for an accident.
A BAD one.

Back