Riding over the GW

If your are from the northeast you will know what the GW is. Anyway it's the GW bridge from NJ to NYC. $17 toll.

The GW bridge is always under construction and will never be finished. So much traffic that they will never be able to finish ever.

It's also I95 which runs up/down northeast from Maine to Florida.

Going north after the bridge the road is more patches than original road. The area is obviously very slow as the were 6 or so people selling drinks and sandwiches. They would bring you the drink or sandwich to your car as traffic goes so slow. And must me the same every day or else the people would not be out there.

Sign saying "No Trucks in left lane" yet trucks in left lane. NYPD police car going by and ignoring the trucks in left lane. Car broken down in left shoulder and NYPD police car goes around it and does not stop to offer assistance.

I absolutely hate going this route from Delaware to eastern Connecticut.

It would drive me crazy to have to go over the GW every workday.

Don't think we took the GW but went through there somewhere last summer in the RV. Roads were horrible.. granted alot of the roads in NE are terrible. I don't know how anyone travels those roads everyday. Once was enough for me.

Don't think we took the GW but went through there somewhere last summer in the RV. Roads were horrible.. granted alot of the roads in NE are terrible. I don't know how anyone travels those roads everyday. Once was enough for me.
That is the reason we need cars than can go 0-60 in 3 sec. LOL A half track would be better suited to these horrors.

If you think the GWB is bad, the Cross Bronx getting to/from it is even worse 😭

It even inspired its own song 🤣
It is now $17
And yet it's still CHEAPER than the gang plank 🤬

A time lapse for those who don't understand what I'm on about

You need to make split second decisions at speeds from 0-75mph, every lane change counts so make the most of it 😳
The alarming uptick in those unfortunately unaliving themselves off the GWB is concerning me 😟
Signs at either end with 988 on them isn't enough 🥺

Driving in this city is not for the faint of heart, my 11 hours of CDL experience could never 😔

Last edited:
It's like the Golden gate Bridge. They start painting it on one end and by the time they finish they have to repaint again. My cousin lives in a house in San Mateo that's like this. The work is never done.

San Francisco Int'l airport is the same way.

I took a few pics to show the apartments on top of the roadway, held up by crumbling 2x2 concrete columns. NY is in a state of decay that is downright unreal.

Here is an example of the tall apartment buildings over the GWB entrance. There are 4 of these!

lQN2Xzo.jpg

And the 2x2 foot concrete columns holding it up. Many of which have obvious damage. It would be interesting to calculate the loads here.

iyjNMTO.jpg

And of course, the bridge, which remains stunningly impressive, despite the epic levels of corrosion underneath. A few years back there were large plainly visible perforations in the structural beams. Maybe they have been properly repaired? I don't see the perforations anymore. But it seems the port authority has installed all sorts of visible barriers, so maybe they are just blocking the view. Pictures just don't capture how incredibly massive this bridge is.

I "think" there is a guy standing on the #2 cable, 4th clamp down from the top.

BFgzYeX.jpg

iiif-service_pnp_highsm_45200_45282-full-pct_25-0-default.jpg

Last edited:
I commuted that bridge regularly for years....it sucked then and it's worse now.
The $17 toll is disgraceful especially when you realize that the bridge's owner, The Port Authority of NY and NJ, own buildings like the World Trade Center (in other words they buy real estate with the profits from their bridges and tunnels...they also own the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels which also charge those outrageous tolls.)

The 'police' that you see on the bridge are not NYPD but are Port Authority Police who make far, far more money than NYPD for a much safer job ($200K+ a year is normal and it's why every NYPD cop takes the test for PAPD which doesn't publish test results and just hires whoever they want after charging 100,000 'applicants' $65 to take the test. Whenever the PAPD wants a raise...the tolls go up.

As far as the 'Cross Bronx Expressway'....it's often called 'the longest parking lot in the world'....pure torture to spend an hour to go 4 or 5 miles....and before Giuliani became Mayor and got tougher on them...you had to deal with the 'squeegee men' who were usually deranged and walked up to you with a squeegee soaked with filthy water to 'clean' your windshield for money and if you declined they often spit at you or worse...they terrified woman in particular who often gave them money just to go away.

Our 'leaders' seem to have money for a lot of 'priorities' but making the lives of working people (who pay the bills) better doesn't seem to be one of them.

Last edited:
If your are from the northeast you will know what the GW is. Anyway it's the GW bridge from NJ to NYC. $17 toll.

The GW bridge is always under construction and will never be finished. So much traffic that they will never be able to finish ever.

It's also I95 which runs up/down northeast from Maine to Florida.

Going north after the bridge the road is more patches than original road. The area is obviously very slow as the were 6 or so people selling drinks and sandwiches. They would bring you the drink or sandwich to your car as traffic goes so slow. And must me the same every day or else the people would not be out there.

Sign saying "No Trucks in left lane" yet trucks in left lane. NYPD police car going by and ignoring the trucks in left lane. Car broken down in left shoulder and NYPD police car goes around it and does not stop to offer assistance.

I absolutely hate going this route from Delaware to eastern Connecticut.

It would drive me crazy to have to go over the GW every workday.
It's the best way to get to The Bronx though. Jump on the Deegan to get by Yankee Stadium...

All NYC roads are just !

Just went across it Saturday. Lost an hour in traffic. I loathe that route, but from where I live to New Haven, CT, there aren’t any better routes, the Tappan Zee (yes, I know, a vainglorious politician named the new bridge after himself in the same location) is a long way out of the way, and doesn’t save any time.

Last edited:
Boston and Florida have the stuff that actually falls apart. NYC runs a bit tighter ship.

Car broken down in left shoulder and NYPD police car goes around it and does not stop to offer assistance.
Like almost every major bridge, the Port Authority owns a tow truck standing by to move broken cars off of the bridge. It's not a police issue.

I commuted that bridge regularly for years....it sucked then and it's worse now.
The $17 toll is disgraceful especially when you realize that the bridge's owner, The Port Authority of NY and NJ, own buildings like the World Trade Center (in other words they buy real estate with the profits from their bridges and tunnels...they also own the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels which also charge those outrageous tolls.)

The 'police' that you see on the bridge are not NYPD but are Port Authority Police who make far, far more money than NYPD for a much safer job ($200K+ a year is normal and it's why every NYPD cop takes the test for PAPD which doesn't publish test results and just hires whoever they want after charging 100,000 'applicants' $65 to take the test. Whenever the PAPD wants a raise...the tolls go up.

As far as the 'Cross Bronx Expressway'....it's often called 'the longest parking lot in the world'....pure torture to spend an hour to go 4 or 5 miles.

Our 'leaders' seem to have money for a lot of 'priorities' but making the lives of working people (who pay the bills) better doesn't seem to be one of them.

Why do you live there?

I bought my used car in 2016 in Westchester NY. Had to return 2x for free repairs, once to diagnose and order parts, then second time to perform the fix.

Had to go over the GW both times wanting to arrive at the dealer 730 am.

First time I was late by one hour so I figured I’d leave phila 1:15 earlier to try to get there in time. Now I was 1 hour early 😂

Too bad car pool discount is gone. It was $6 up to at least 2019, can’t recall taking it post pandemic and saying car pool

Why do you live there?
I moved 50 miles north of the GW bridge in the mid eighties because it became unlivable (unless you lived in mid-town Manhattan where the middle class couldn't afford). I like where I live a lot but detest having to go into the city for doctors appointments etc..(cancer related to the months I spent working at the WTC after the 9/11 attack.)

What's sad is that NY state is one of the most beautiful states in America but our politics are dominated by NYC which is becoming more of a cesspool every day. There is a movement afoot to separate the rest of the state from NYC and I hope it comes to fruition in my lifetime.

PS: What's also a disgrace is that I have a CC permit but can't carry when I go into NYC because of laws designed to protect the criminals. I never carry where I live because it's pretty safe but riding the #4 train from the Bronx (where I park) into Manhattan (where my doctors are) is always risky.

Last edited:
Born, raised, much of my life spent on Nassau County Long Island over 40 years, loved my childhood, teen years, young adults years, incredible memories of the friends and times we shared.
Moving forward is was great having children there but the steady decay of the entire environment and corruption and taxes... moving to the Southeast was the most fantastic thing I ever did for myself and my family.
I never, ever, look back...

Except one thing, I wish I could go through my teen years there again, before all this electronic BS, what a freaking great time it was growing up there and become a young adult. Some of the best of friends, real friends face to face everyday. Living in the real world, hanging out all summer long, beaches, pools, night time partying... just amazing times 60's 70's 80's.

Then along came the computer which I myself LOVED and as I look back also came the decline of who we are.

Last edited:
Born, raised, much of my life spent on Nassau County Long Island over 40 years, loved my childhood, teen years, young adults years, incredible memories of the friends and times we shared.
Moving forward is was great having children there but the steady decay of the entire environment and corruption and taxes... moving to the Southeast was the most fantastic thing I ever did for myself and my family.

Except one thing, I wish I could go through my teen years there again, before all this electronic BS, what a freaking great time it was growing up there and become a young adult. Some of the best of friends, real friends face to face everyday.
Grew up Orange County, Upper Nyack area ( It's been about 25 years I forget if Nyack is another county it may be) Before life intervened.

Want to quickly mention New York State is nothing like New York City. You essentially have Long Island, and New York City and Upstate New York. I grew up an upstate New York . New York City provided my family's income from the father's side... Local 3. He took the train from Tuxedo because paying the tolls would have been exorbitant....

Except one thing, I wish I could go through my teen years there again, before all this electronic BS, what a freaking great time it was growing up there and become a young adult. Some of the best of friends, real friends face to face everyday. Living in the real world, hanging out all summer long, beaches, pools, night time partying... just amazing times 60's 70's 80's.

Then along came the computer which I myself LOVED and as I look back also came the decline of who we are.
Grew up Orange County, Upper Nyack area ( It's been about 25 years I forget if Nyack is another county it may be) Before life intervened.

Want to quickly mention New York State is nothing like New York City. You essentially have Long Island, and New York City and Upstate New York. I grew up an upstate New York . New York City provided my family's income from the father's side... Local 3. He took the train from Tuxedo because paying the tolls would have been exorbitant....
Yes, I should note! Update NY is beautiful, many people can not comprehend how nice the mountains, truly amazing.
My uncle had 100 acres up near Durham NY when I was a kid, used to love going there. As teenagers every chance we got we were driving up there to the Catskill, Woodstock, Tannersville areas. Even for just weekends. Did A LOT of partying back then. One time in the middle of winter we camped out in tents, with heaters> Skiing at Hunter Mountain, Belair, then further up into New England and west to the Pocono's
My friends brother had a house upstate NY, we would cut holes in the ice and go ice fishing in winter.

Lots of camping at Devils Tombstone (I think I got that right)? North Lake and South Lake.
Summers up at Lake George we would rent cabins for a week along with a boat, Party all night and waterski first thing in the morning.. *LOL*
4 of my friends, one that I knew since before 1st grade still rent those same cabins every year since we were in our teens... I haven't been there for some time now.

New York has lost its sparkle and honestly since no policies allowed in here one can just look up the voting statistics, its the cities that control the entire state, and the whole rest of the state voted differently. Again, no politics, easy to look up.

Always the WORST part of the trip was making our way over the Hudson, always, always always... it used to be depressing coming back to the area. Like an animal in a zoo.

(btw- we did a lot of stuff but get this, we paid for everything ourselves, we all worked part time jobs, no free ride from our parents even though our parents certainly could have, its just the way we were raised back then and that included a sense of pride in being you own person)

Last edited:
I moved 50 miles north of the GW bridge in the mid eighties because it became unlivable (unless you lived in mid-town Manhattan where the middle class couldn't afford). I like where I live a lot but detest having to go into the city for doctors appointments etc..(cancer related to the months I spent working at the WTC after the 9/11 attack.)

What's sad is that NY state is one of the most beautiful states in America but our politics are dominated by NYC which is becoming more of a cesspool every day. There is a movement afoot to separate the rest of the state from NYC and I hope it comes to fruition in my lifetime.

PS: What's also a disgrace is that I have a CC permit but can't carry when I go into NYC because of laws designed to protect the criminals. I never carry where I live because it's pretty safe but riding the #4 train from the Bronx (where I park) into Manhattan (where my doctors are) is always risky.

I hear ya. I will agree that upstate (I've only been around the Albany area) looks/feels and acts like "my people" in the mostly rural areas of Alabama and Georgia. It is a shame the entire northeast area, that has beautiful, full-of-character neighborhoods is ruined by politics dominating the area. The azaleas and dogwoods in the northeast are unbelievably plentiful and beautiful ..... this time of the year!

(btw- we did a lot of stuff but get this, we paid for everything ourselves, we all worked part time jobs, no free ride from our parents even though our parents certainly could have, its just the way we were raised back then and that included a sense of pride in being you own person)
Again I came across an article saying 12th graders today, are like 8th graders from before. I believe it. My dad was fed up I had a BS in economics, and was a waiter. He gave me until the end of August, to either find a job, or move back home. For us, it was a source of shame to live with parents at 22. Today, 45, 50, even never moving out is ok, because how else is a person going to maintain a middle class lifestyle?

Back