Riding over the GW

Again I came across an article saying 12th graders today, are like 8th graders from before. I believe it. My dad was fed up I had a BS in economics, and was a waiter. He gave me until the end of August, to either find a job, or move back home. For us, it was a source of shame to live with parents at 22. Today, 45, 50, even never moving out is ok, because how else is a person going to maintain a middle class lifestyle?
Similar here, my siblings and I at the age of 18, two choices.
Parents would pay for college OR you get a full time job and start paying room and board. Exactly those words, no, ifs and or butts, one full sentence from my dad, you make your choice.

To this day I am so thankful in how I was raised and I followed that formula to my own kids, all successful and proud of what they have achieved and continue to achieve. Even now, well some years ago, our youngest daughter acknowledges even if she didnt "see it" at the time, she is thankful compared to some of her friends who were given everything they asked for without working for it. Hearing that and similar stuff like that from my kids, now adults has made my world complete.

Similar here, my siblings and I at the age of 18, two choices.
Parents would pay for college OR you get a full time job and start paying room and board. Exactly those words, no, ifs and or butts, one full sentence from my dad, you make your choice.
The funny thing was back then there were answering machines. My roommate took a message “Mr Goalie” would like to setup an interview.

Two problems. The man was Mr Gully.
The phone number was not right.

I frantically went to the public library and scoured the help wanted for any Mr Goalies, and found Gully. Ended up working there until 1998 and even have a pension.

My life would have been different if I moved back home and continued to focus on hearing live music 😄

Used to live in Fairfield County CT and I hate anything to do with that bridge. I remember one Sunday afternoon when traffic was basically backed up from the GW to DC. Finally made it over the GW and everything cleared up. That bridge could carry 10x the traffic and it would do little to help.

Again I came across an article saying 12th graders today, are like 8th graders from before. I believe it. My dad was fed up I had a BS in economics, and was a waiter. He gave me until the end of August, to either find a job, or move back home. For us, it was a source of shame to live with parents at 22. Today, 45, 50, even never moving out is ok, because how else is a person going to maintain a middle class lifestyle?

My aunt's a teacher and she said the same thing too, they're finding that kids are coming out of school 2-3 years behind vs pre-CV19 stats. The wealthier districts were less effected while the poverty-strickened ones were hit harder but overall the scores across the board have been much, much lower.

I took a few pics to show the apartments on top of the roadway, held up by crumbling 2x2 concrete columns. NY is in a state of decay that is downright unreal.

Here is an example of the tall apartment buildings over the GWB entrance. There are 4 of these!

lQN2Xzo.jpg

And the 2x2 foot concrete columns holding it up. Many of which have obvious damage. It would be interesting to calculate the loads here.

iyjNMTO.jpg

And of course, the bridge, which remains stunningly impressive, despite the epic levels of corrosion underneath. A few years back there were large plainly visible perforations in the structural beams. Maybe they have been properly repaired? I don't see the perforations anymore. But it seems the port authority has installed all sorts of visible barriers, so maybe they are just blocking the view. Pictures just don't capture how incredibly massive this bridge is.

I "think" there is a guy standing on the #2 cable, 4th clamp down from the top.

BFgzYeX.jpg

iiif-service_pnp_highsm_45200_45282-full-pct_25-0-default.jpg
How do you think any other building is held up????

Pretty normal.

Ever ride the subway? Buildings are held up under there too. Loads go to bedrock.

I absolutely hate going this route from Delaware to eastern Connecticut.

Then go up the blue route and 81 to 84 or something like that. Or change to the parkway at exit 11, then cross over later. You have options which probably aren’t bad when traffic in NYC is considered.

From Bear, DE to New Haven, CT, the difference is 19 minutes and 32 miles to go the “long way”. That’s with NYC traffic. Might be worth it for sanity…

I grew up in Putnam County a little over an hour north of the city. We used to go over the GW when going to/from my grandparent's house in PA back in the 70's and 80's. My dad had spent time as a truck driver before then so he was comfortable driving it, but the traffic and chaos always stressed out everyone else in the car.

NYC is a strange place with a strange vibe. Some people love the energy and some people like me never feel comfortable there. I always felt like a tourist rube on the few occasions I had a reason to go 'downtown'.

If your are from the northeast you will know what the GW is. Anyway it's the GW bridge from NJ to NYC. $17 toll.

The GW bridge is always under construction and will never be finished. So much traffic that they will never be able to finish ever.

It's also I95 which runs up/down northeast from Maine to Florida.

Going north after the bridge the road is more patches than original road. The area is obviously very slow as the were 6 or so people selling drinks and sandwiches. They would bring you the drink or sandwich to your car as traffic goes so slow. And must me the same every day or else the people would not be out there.

Sign saying "No Trucks in left lane" yet trucks in left lane. NYPD police car going by and ignoring the trucks in left lane. Car broken down in left shoulder and NYPD police car goes around it and does not stop to offer assistance.

I absolutely hate going this route from Delaware to eastern Connecticut.

It would drive me crazy to have to go over the GW every workday.
Follow 287 and cross the Tappan Zee and follow back to i-95 or follow Merritt Parkway

I grew up in Putnam County a little over an hour north of the city. We used to go over the GW when going to/from my grandparent's house in PA back in the 70's and 80's. My dad had spent time as a truck driver before then so he was comfortable driving it, but the traffic and chaos always stressed out everyone else in the car.

NYC is a strange place with a strange vibe. Some people love the energy and some people like me never feel comfortable there. I always felt like a tourist rube on the few occasions I had a reason to go 'downtown'.
My dad always used 684 to get to the city from CT. I would always notice Estate Motors as a kid and admire the Mercedes. Very steep hill!

Not to hijack but it took my boys a couple years to recover. I just worked with them and gentle nudged them to get going, the parents are responsible for this just as much as the kiddos. Both boys made the honor roll this year which I know is cliche but made me proud.. the youngest one I was seriously starting to worry about.

Back