1996 Accord ATF change -- how much ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvk

How much ATF is needed for a fluid change in the automatic transmission? Does it have a filter that must be changed, too? Thanks!

1991 Honda Accord

Automatic Transmission,
Initial Fill..........2.5 quarts[
Automatic Transmission,
Total Fill..........6.4 quarts

BTW
There are 3 versions of the 2.2 L liste, VIN codes D, X & Y.

[ January 21, 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Thank you, guys. I forgot to mention it's the base 2.2l. So, no filter then?

Does it really pay to use genuine Honda ATF? A lot of people say that aftermarket stuff will cause problems. Even "multi-vehicle" ATF?

According to my material, the 4 cyl pan holds 2.5 qt, the 6 cyl 2.9qt. That is about 1/3 of the total fill, so if you want to do a good job, you'll have to do it several times.
I'd figure on about a case of 12 quarts.

the fseries motor in the 96 accord is the same setup as my fseries in my 91 accord. we all use the same tranny about and nearly the same engine, except for v6.

**** in Falls Church hit it right on. usually i flush the sucker with about 7 quarts of fluid going in, then let it drain and fill it.

if i do drain and fill its about 3 quarts. have fun.

after 94 they made the honda atf and claim that they need it for that car. i have a 91 accord and had alot of problems with honda atf....but thats me...

i believe the 5th gen accords like your is needed for honda atf....unless it says otherwise on the dipstick.

the thing with the trannies, all 94-97 trannies from the f22b* can fit a f22a* (honda accords 90-93).

just very differnt ratios
offtopic.gif

My '96 Honda Accord owner's manual lists:

2.4 liters/2.5 U.S. quarts, and
2.7 liters/2.9 U.S. quarts for a fluid change
(2.2 liter I-4 engine and 2.7 liter V-6 engine respectively);

6.0 liters/6.3 U.S. quarts, and
7.1 liters/7.5 U.S. quarts total capacity
(2.2 liter I-4 engine and 2.7 liter V-6 engine respectively)

The fluid Honda specified in 1996 was either, "Honda Premium Performance Automatic Transmission Fluid or an equivalent Dexron II Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) only." (direct quote from page 159)

There is NO oil pan. There is no user serviceable transmission oil filter. (a screen, though, but only accessible by disassembling the transaxle) There IS a drain plug with a 3/8" square hole screwed into the cast aluminum transmission case and it DOES have an aluminum washer. I found on mine, contrary to what Honda says, that the washer can be reused without leakage, but, better have a new one handy just in case. They're around $2.00 (maybe more now) at Honda dealers.

[ January 26, 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back