15W-40 HDEO Recommendation please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like a recommendation for a good / the best 15W-40 HDEO available over the counter.

What I mostly see here in the stores is Delvac 1300, Pennzoil LL, Delo 400, Shell Rotella.

Thanks for your help !!!

Delo 400 and Delvac Super, IMHO. Used them in gas and diesel vehicles as well as kerosene gensets in cold and extreme hot, they both come out with flying colors.

Now, PLEASE do not move my topic to the marine section because I am really asking about diesel HDEO oils here, irregardless of application!!

I am using this in a 2004 Mercury Mercruiser 5.0 MPI marine engine with 260hp coupled to a Bravo III outdrive.

The engine mostly operates between 3200 and 4000 pm when cruising on plane.

I like the high cleaning ability, shear stability and TBN retention of the HDEO oils for marine application.

Basically it is a Mercury marinized Chevy 305 block.

Alex D, what does the Mercury manual say to use as a viscosity range for this engine? I ask because I could recommend several different ones based on what the book says.

Mercury only recommends their 20W-40 Mercruiser oil, which is really not all that good. We know the add pack in this oil is no better than HDEO oils, but is has no VI improvers.

They recommend straight 30 weight or 20W-50 if their oil is not available.

Clearly their fear is primary of VI enhancer shear and subsequent sludge forming.

This is really no cocnerns of mine with modern HDEO oils like the ones listed here. I don't want straight weight or heavy 20W-50 for my application. I think they are too heavy and too thick.

Next question is how $$$ and how long did you plan to leave it in the crankcase of the engine?

Good - 15w40 Rotella, or Delo

Better - Schaeffer's 15w40 Supreme 7000

Best (I know, debatable all of the time) - Redline or Amsoil 15w40

No costs barred - Maxima Extra 4 15w50 (don't get nervous, viscosity cSt's are OK), Neo 15w40, Synergyn 15w50

Choices...choices...the American Way!!!
patriot.gif

Thanks Dad ! (no pun intended!)

I am looking for the best "over the counter" HDEO since I change oil every 30 hours or so. It's very easy to pump it out of the dipstick, plus Mercruiser small blocks only hold four quarts of oil in the oilpan, so it gets a beating.

I also do not want to go to a synthetic since I will change oil very often.

Alex D, I would probably split the difference and go with the Schaeffer's. I know that it's not "over the counter", but it is a very good product. I've used the 5w30 version for my vehicle and it gave great results. It's not a full synthetic, but a blend with some Moly tossed in for good measure.

I'm sure that one of the members on this forum would be more than happy to talk to you for a case or two and a good deal to boot!!!

I also had no idea that the smallblock Mercruiser only held four quarts. Seems to me like a lot of wasted oil capacity for longevity purposes, though. Oh well, so much for my engineering degree!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
Mercury only recommends their 20W-40 Mercruiser oil, which is really not all that good. We know the add pack in this oil is no better than HDEO oils, but is has no VI improvers.

They recommend straight 30 weight or 20W-50 if their oil is not available.

Clearly their fear is primary of VI enhancer shear and subsequent sludge forming.

This is really no cocnerns of mine with modern HDEO oils like the ones listed here. I don't want straight weight or heavy 20W-50 for my application. I think they are too heavy and too thick.

The straight 30 will work great as will the 20w/50 . The main concern about v.i. is ring sticking. Don't let preconceived ideas about straight weight 30 or 40 or 20w/50 get in your way about oil choices unless you will be operating your boat when it is below 30 f outside.

Hi Alex,
if you want to use a 15w-40 HDEO and choose a "mixed fleet" CI-4/SL, there will be very little if any performance difference between the various Brands available

That said, be careful not to use a SAE30 HDEO that is DD two cycle specific, or any diesel engine only lubricant. There are a number!

Suitable "mixed fleet" monograde HDEOs are about and they are very good durable lubricants

Doug

Delo, Rotella, Delvac are all good. They all use Group II+ base oils and very pure for Dino. Amsoil 15w-40 Diesel/Marine is a nice oil with HDEO add pack as is Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5w-40 if you want synthetic (worth it if you change once a season in my opinion, cheap at Wallmart). I have used Mobil 1 15w-50 for 11 years. I will try T&Suv next season for a bit more power.

Just check that the oil has a spark engine rating like API SL.

Thanks all of you for the help !!

A few months ago the entire BITOG board was very gung-ho about Pennzoil LL 15W-40 .... and now not a comment regarding this oil. Any takers?

Delo is the cheapest here because we can get it at Costco. The next is Delvac 1300 Super for $6.95 a gallon at WalMart and Pennzoil is around $8 a gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back