Which diesel oil is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice that he said dino oil. I imagine amsoil cost alot more than $5 per gallon delo,rotella,delvac1300.

I think Mobil makes the best deisel oil. Tooslick, the Amsoil lover, would agree too...
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ben walker:
Notice that he said dino oil. I imagine amsoil cost alot more than $5 per gallon delo,rotella,delvac1300.

Yes it is more than $5 a gallon. I was just giving him another option.

Buster,

I do think that Delvac 1 and the Amsoil 15w-40 - AME - are pretty comparable products. I'd probably choose one or the other based on climate, ie the Delvac 1, 5w-40 for cold climates and the Ams 15w-40 for warm climates. Both are excellent extended drain synlubes.

TS

[ January 07, 2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Buster,

I am beginning to wonder if you even have a car and aren't some teenager with too much time on your hands
wink.gif
I have never seen somebody change their mind as aften as you do about what maintenance practices to use for this Toyota you are supposed to have.

Where are those oil analysis results you are supposed to be working on???

I do think that Delvac 1 and the Amsoil 15w-40 - AME - are pretty comparable products. I'd probably choose one or the other based on climate, ie the Delvac 1, 5w-40 for cold climates and the Ams 15w-40 for warm climates. Both are excellent extended drain synlubes.

TS

Buster is not a kid,he came here wanting to learn more and has not had time to rack enough miles on a oil to get a UOA yet after becoming a member and I do not think being a member of this forum mandates that the member has to have his/her oil analized anyway. Amsoil /Delvac 1 are not topic oils once again incase this needs reiterated
rolleyes.gif

The new 1300S formulation is too young to prove it's best or in the running for being best. One might imagine though given the company that makes it for sure it would be in the running.

In the type truck that is used as a man's Cadillac and is not worked who says a synlube is needed? Even if it is worked hard occasionaly a synlube might not be desirable from a performance/cost standpoint. It is all in the usage of the vehicle,,I did not see how the truck will be used ?

Buster,it's ok to be indecisive in terms of sticking with a particular brand,,even though you have stuck with M1 for +80k miles that TooSlick seems to be unaware of until your recent finding of Amsoil.Buster I think your just fine in my books and imo the previous post was unjustified,if my opinion is allowed
grin.gif

Now OTC Diesel oils the dino variety,,who can prove Chevron is NOT one of the best ???????
tongue.gif

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Big Red:
Just wanted to know what 15w40 (dino) diesel oil is best for Dodge Cummins engines? Any thoughts about Valvoline disel oil?
Thanks

I think 59 Vetteman has the most experience here on examining HD oils available in the USA and might give you a neat link if you asked him for it though a PM.
smile.gif
He has these oils memorized
cheers.gif

Thanks Dragboat. Tooslick, did you get that upset bc I made a joke about you and Amsoil? Your defensiveness makes me wonder??
wink.gif
First of all, I am 26yrs old and average 50K miles per year. My wife attends Cornell in Ithaca Ny so on weekends I am adding an additional 500 miles on top of my normal 800 per week to, Princeton NJ (average 120 miles per day). No, I'm not a car/oil expert and the only reason I bought a Toyota, is bc they last and can take the mileage.
I have used Mobil 1 up until 80K miles like Dragboat has stated. I recently switched to Amsoil bc this winter I wanted to Extend my interval changes. I can put 5K on in a little over a month and trying to change the oil in January up in the snow belt of Central New York is not fun. (Syracuse, Ithaca area). That is why I was interested in the Amsoil vs Mobil debates. I have since found that if I change my oil every 5-6K it makes no sense to use Amsoil based on Bob and your opinions.(many others as well) I've come to the conclusion that there both so close and that Amsoil might only be better for extended drains, thats it. I was one of the people who knew nothing about oil before coming on to this site that was sucked into the Amsoil hype. Every time I did a search on AMSOIL, the list of webpages were all DEALERS!! I never could find any independent information, which is why this site is the best out there. BTW Tooslick, I used your post for the latest Amsoil vs Mobil 1 post bc I thought your post was dead on.
Now, I said "Tooslick, the amsoil lover, would agree" was in reference to the fact that you really like Amsoil. It was supposed to be humorous. I'm glad you know so much about it. But you have several times really been a big fan of Delvac. I believe you even said it is some of the best out there, which is why I said you would agree Delvac is great. You have said this several times. So I was using YOU as a reference to point out that someone who is VERY KNOWLEDGABLE on all oils and a big fan of Amsoil,(dealer as well) thinks Delvac is great too. Did you notice the smily face at the end? Amazing. BTW, averaging 50k miles a year leaves me with NO extra time on my hands.
wink.gif

Sorry for the rant but I have to defend myself.
grin.gif

Currently I have 1,500 miles on Amsoil 0w-30. Just changed it 1.5 weeks ago. I will have the results when I send it off in about 4-5weeks. Then I will go to M1 0w-30 and repeat the same time interval. Mileage thru Jan. will decrease so results may be delayed by a few weeks.
I wish I lived in a warm climate like Texas, my wife's home state. Maybe someday.
frown.gif

[ December 22, 2002, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Of course TS is an Amsoil fan, he's an Amsoil Dealer.
grin.gif

Amsoil uses Mobil synthetic basestocks. The only real difference is the additive package. Mobil has their own secret recipe, Amsoil has their own secret recipe.

Kinda like gasoline. All base gasoline is the same. The only difference is each company has their own secret recipe for their additive packages.

TexasTDI,

Actually, I'm a Georgia Tech fan
smile.gif
...I don't know anybody who roots for - or loves - oil for that matter.

Buster,

I do apologize, but you seem to be all over the place with this stuff. It is very hard to provide a good recommendation for somebody who seems to change their mind every time they post. You can't go wrong with either Mobil 1 or Amsoil and the engine will probably outlast the rest of the car in either case....

If you want to worry about something, we're probably going to war with Iraq within the next three months.
frown.gif
I'd be concerned about the long term implications of that and not which oil you use....

No problem. I was all over the place....your right about that. Iraq is a concern, but has to be delt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back