Metal storage building price increases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this year I got some quotes on some metal storage sheds. Most of the quotes were in the $2500-$3000 range. Last week I got some more quotes, only now, those same buildings are all over $4000. The places that are giving me the quotes are saying the price of steel has gone up 15-20%, but that doesn't account for all of the price increases. Does anyone know why the prices of these buildings has gone up so much?

Originally Posted by grampi
Earlier this year I got some quotes on some metal storage sheds. Most of the quotes were in the $2500-$3000 range. Last week I got some more quotes, only now, those same buildings are all over $4000. The places that are giving me the quotes are saying the price of steel has gone up 15-20%, but that doesn't account for all of the price increases. Does anyone know why the prices of these buildings has gone up so much?

Because they can.

They are probably selling more, so they don't need to offer as large of discounts. The more booming economy means less need to discount. Combine that with the increase in metals prices and you easily have your 25% price increase.

They aren't feeding you a line. General steel prices are up around 13% going back to July and nearly 30% going back to April. Tack on to that relatively full employment meaning employees make more or they move on... And on top of that, because they can and people will pay it.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
They aren't feeding you a line. General steel prices are up around 13% going back to July and nearly 30% going back to April. Tack on to that relatively full employment meaning employees make more or they move on... And on top of that, because they can and people will pay it.

Yeah all this. An economy with full employment seems great until you can't get anyone to work on your house. A healthy economy lets you trade amongst yourselves for goods and services. We're on the other end of the bell curve. The good still eclipses the bad though.

You should have bit when you did, but if you wait for the next recession, you'll be in a good spot.

Originally Posted by chainblu
Has the price of scrap metal gone up too?

of course, why wouldn't it. Its competition, virgin steel is up so they have a more valuable product too.

My brother-in-law used to be a salesman for a metal building company, so at the time, I got one heck of a deal on a 40' X 50' all steel building. But like you, I waited too long for the concrete to be poured. One year I got a bid for $4000 for the concrete floor and less than a year later it went to $8000 for a finished floor. The difference of the price was that one year his crew was not busy and needed work, the next year they were very busy and they had a "take it or leave it" attitude.
If everyone think that the economy is strong, it's hard to get good deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back