Nasty looking oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of a 2009 GM 3.6L. 150,000 miles and seems to run fine except for needing timing chains. Wonder what will be under the valve covers.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SirTanon
150,000 miles on the car/engine... how many of those are on that filter? Half? Good lord!

Fam that thing is probably OEM
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Another horror story. Probably the reason the timing chain is bad. Obviously a lack of maintenance.

No, timing chain problems are common on these with half the mileage.

Bought the thing 4 years ago, found out it needed the chains replaced and parked it. Decided to do the chains this year and thought it might be good idea to change the oil before, just so as not to get dirty oil all over the tools and my hands once I open it up. I've only put 200 miles on it so that filter isn't on me.

Originally Posted by loneryder
That's the best use of a Wash Post I've seen in a long time.

HAHAHA yes this is true

Originally Posted by atikovi
Out of a 2009 GM 3.6L. 150,000 miles and seems to run fine except for needing timing chains. Wonder what will be under the valve covers.

[Linked Image]

Yikes! I'm guessing what you'll find under the valve covers is alot more of that thats in the filter

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by PimTac
Another horror story. Probably the reason the timing chain is bad. Obviously a lack of maintenance.

No, timing chain problems are common on these with half the mileage.

And those are still from lack of upkeep. The issue is the oil gets low and the timing chain starves without the low oil light coming on. GMs fix was to change the oil life monitor and make people change sooner since the owners could not be bothered to check the oil.

I have had 2 Cadillacs with the 3.6, 2 BiLs with that motor in their Cadillacs, and several customers with the 3.6. Never had to do a single timing chain in any. They all kept their oil level up.
Went in for a recall once. A CTS was behind mine came in for a timing chain and the tech pulled the dipstick out and nothing was on it.

The logical thing would be for GM to fix the oil consumption in their engines so this isn't a problem. Most people never look under their hoods and rely on the Oil Change place or Dealership to do all that is required. Horrible thought for us folks here but that's how it really is so GM needs to realize this and compensate for it. Along with any other OE that has consumption issues.

In all the vehicles I have owned none of them have ever consumed measurable amounts of oil with the exception of the Mitsu 2.6L we owned which was known for that but that was back in the 1980's-1990's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back